Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Opeth album

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Opeth album
    Posted: 18 Jul 2016 at 2:10pm
I'm always excited when Opeth release a new album...roll on Sept 30th!

Beautiful artwork - vinyl purchase essential I think.

DippoMagoo View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Power & Neo, Goth & Symph, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2016 at 2:23pm
I'll almost certainly hate it, but I know I'll end up giving it a couple listens anyway, just out of curiosity. I sure hope I don't hate it as much as their last one, but I don't have the highest of expectations, that's for sure.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2016 at 3:51pm
The last album was kind of disappointing, not as memorable as Heritage. I don't have any positive or negative expectations, that cover art is really nice though.

Edited by Unitron - 18 Jul 2016 at 3:53pm
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2016 at 12:44am
I've added it to MMA already: http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/album/opeth/sorceress

Decided to tag it as Non-Metal for now like the last one, though you never really know what Opeth is going to play anymore. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2016 at 4:30pm
^ This is true, it wouldn't surprise me if it's heavier than the last couple.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2016 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by Unitron Unitron wrote:

The last album was kind of disappointing, not as memorable as Heritage. I don't have any positive or negative expectations, that cover art is really nice though.
I feel the exact opposite way. I thought the last one was a vast improvement over Heritage, and I look forward to the new one, to see where they go now. I´ll be seing Opeth live in November too Smile.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2016 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

I feel the exact opposite way. I thought the last one was a vast improvement over Heritage, and I look forward to the new one, to see where they go now. I´ll be seing Opeth live in November too Smile.

I agree. I thought the last album was a HUGE improvement over Heritage. I know that going totally prog rock has alienated a lot of fans but i admire them for just moving on. While i don't hate bands that stick to a sound i respect them more for trying something new and Opeth makes great prog rock minus the metal
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2016 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

I agree. I thought the last album was a HUGE improvement over Heritage. I know that going totally prog rock has alienated a lot of fans but i admire them for just moving on. While i don't hate bands that stick to a sound i respect them more for trying something new and Opeth makes great prog rock minus the metal

To each their own, I just found the songs on Heritage to be more memorable. I did really like some of the songs on the last one though.

I'd love to see Opeth live, hopefully it's a good show. Smile
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2016 at 1:54am
^Well...I saw Opeth live some years back (I believe it was in 2008), and honestly I don´t think their music Works that well in a live setting. Too much dynamic and not enough raw power for my taste, which is what I primarely seek when I see bands live. But this particular show that I´m attending in November is a sit Down concert at the Danish Radio concert hall, which I´m told should have incredibly acoustics, so that should be a Little different. Otherwise I wouldn´t go see Opeth, which is a band I normally think is a thousand times more interesting on album than they are live.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2016 at 1:49pm
I've only seen them live once and as London is the only UK show I unfortunately wont be seeing them this tour.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2016 at 2:10pm
I've seen Opeth once, but it wasn't a full show. It was part of this Metal Hammer tour and they co-headlined with Arch Enemy. I like Arch Enemy, but I went for Opeth. 

Arch Enemy put on the better show, I think. Though unfortunately my experience of Opeth was kinda ruined by how hot it was in the venue that night - to be honest there are two things I remember about Opeth's set the most - that I very nearly passed out because of the heat and that at some point one of the guitarists (not sure which) clearly hit a wrong note during one of the songs. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2016 at 3:59am
^Same here, the only time I saw Opeth was on Metal Hammer 6 years ago. In Katowice. I didn't like the acoustics, songs seemed very distorted. Riverside was there and Pain of Salvation too... hmmmm, what a letdown.

I sincerely hope this new album is more adventurous than the last two. The cover would suggest something less inspired by classic prog so I'm moderately optimistic Smile
The T 666 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T 666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2016 at 7:41am
I ceased to be excited about Opeth with Watershed. From that point on the band stopped being metal and also stopped being interesting to me. How far from just their previous albun, for me their total masterpiece, Ghost Reveries
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2016 at 12:50am
^OH gawd, finally someone who shares my attitude towards Watershit!! @_@ I mean, it wasn't exactly terrible but I didn't really like it, maybe except for The Lotus Eater, cool track this one.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic