MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Collaborator's Handbook

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 11:06am
We never had one, Mike? What we do have are three various artists profiles for adding compilations and the like.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

What happened to the VARIOUS METAL GENRES category for adding albums?

I found that to be a very relevant tag for various artists releases that truly have no dominant style.

There are also a few bands that could possibly qualify.

It's one where you just have to make a call sometimes. It doesn't make any difference as to where the album sits in the Various Artists sections. If it's a really big mix of genres with nothing dominant, then I either tag it just Heavy Metal, or tag it to the first song on the album.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 1:31pm

I found that to be a very relevant tag for various artists releases that truly have no dominant style.

I think only PA ever had that. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

I think only PA ever had that. 

NO! It was here too. For a short while. I think. Am i going crazy? It is 2020 after all :D
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 6:07pm
You know, I could've sworn there was a various metal genres for a very very short time as well, but I think it was broken like the non-metal under other so it wasn't meant to be there.
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2020 at 1:30am
Let's check the wayback machine. Often an interesting insight to MMA's growth. Like did you know that we had Nu Metal in 2010? And every newbie kid's favourite genre of Trash Metal? Wink

Edited by adg211288 - 03 Dec 2020 at 1:50am
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2020 at 1:33am
There is a V.A. under the Artist Alpha-Index if that's what you're thinking of. It misleadingly takes you to artists whose names start with numbers though. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2020 at 7:38am
Well whatever the case, i think a VARIOUS  METAL GENRES tag would be quite useful for various artists releases, band compilations when a band changed its styles often and for whatever other purpose so whether it was here or a glitch in the matrix then i for one would love to see it included. This would be particularly useful for artists like Buckethead who can have five different genres on a single release.
666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2020 at 8:36am
I agree in principle, so long as it was used properly. Most albums can be pinned down if you try hard enough. We don't want people hypothetically saying 'I can hear both black and death metal in this' and tagging it VMG. 
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2020 at 6:16pm
^ yeah i get that. I'm only for it for obvious cases like splits, compilations from a band that cover genre shifts and of course various artists comps that showcase bands from labels and stuff like that.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2020 at 2:16am
Splits, being added to more than one page as they are, should be tagged accordingly to the artist of the particular page, now overall sound between all contributors. A five way split of four death metal bands and one black metal band should still be tagged black metal on that artist's page for example.
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2020 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Splits, being added to more than one page as they are, should be tagged accordingly to the artist of the particular page, now overall sound between all contributors. A five way split of four death metal bands and one black metal band should still be tagged black metal on that artist's page for example.

Will there ever be the option of multi-tagging albums here? RYM has one up on us for sure with that  one
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2020 at 2:59am
It's an idea that's come up between us and one I'd definitely like to see. For at least two tags, like you'd have a 'main' tag which is the genre that would appear under the release but also a secondary tag that would additionally file that release in a second sub-genre. 

But this is all stuff we need Max here for and fully invested in making the site the best it can possible be. And right now we just cannot get him to communicate with us. 
GG2U

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2021 at 1:49pm
I tried the link at the top of the thread, but I´m not able to access the handbook. Do you know if anything is wrong Adam?

I was trying to figure out if my addition of the Gama Bomb "Half Cut" EP (http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/album/gama-bomb/half-cut(ep) as an individual release is alright, as it´s only available as bonus material on the 2010 reissue of http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/album/gama-bomb/tales-from-the-grave-in-space

I´d like to review Half Cut, but preferebly on its own, but if it´s against the rules, I´ll delete the Half Cut entry again.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2021 at 2:00pm
Looks like Dropbox is having some issues. The Handbook should be accessible again after they resolve them. 

Unfortunately I don't seem to have a copy saved on my current rig, but what I recall of the policy (it being a rarely relevant one) is that an 'extra' release must be tagged under Other and I think it also needs to have a unique cover artwork. 

And the main reason being that it has its own liner notes booklet with that artwork as part of the 2CD Embraced by Fire package. 
GG2U

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic   

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image