MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What TV shows are you watching right now?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 42>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Power & Neo, Goth & Symph, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2018 at 11:49am
I'm interested in Jessica Jones, but my one concern is it's attached to a huge series of shows on Netflix, and with my lack of enjoyment of superhero shows lately, there's pretty much a 100% chance at least one of the shows will be so bad I fail to make it through, meaning I wouldn't even get to season 2 of that show, even if I like the first one. I'll try Daredevil soon and see how that goes, and if all goes well I'll make watching that group of shows a long term goal, maybe trying to finish in time for Luke Cage 2 in June, and I'll probably throw Altered Carbon in there at some point to give myself a bit of a break, and because that show looks really interesting.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2018 at 12:00pm
^ If there's one that will get you then it'd probably be Iron Fist. I enjoyed it but a lot of people found it of a much lower quality compared to Daredevil, Jessica Jones and Luke Cage. I guess the thing is with those three is that none of them feel like superhero shows the same way that the DC ones do. Sure, Daredevil has a suit and mask but Jessica Jones and Luke Cage just go about as they are. The tone of those shows is also much more adult than anything the Arrowverse offers, especially in terms of the violent content which as you might expect is at its height in Daredevil and The Punisher (definitely hard to call that one a superhero show) and they also deal with serious themes such as PTSD, alcoholism, gang warfare and more. 

Altered Carbon is very good, by the way. I went through that one quite quickly. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
DippoMagoo View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2018 at 12:54pm
Yeah, I saw a couple episodes of Daredevil a while back, so I know what to expect. Honestly, though, it still sorta felt like a CW show to me, just an R rated version of it, if you know what I mean. Same incredibly cheesy dialogue and silliness, just a much more "mature" version of it. It did seem enjoyable, though, so I'll see how it goes.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2018 at 1:31pm
The main difference is that each season is one story that follows on with each episode with none of the self-contained mini-storylines or villain of the week lark you get in regular, weekly TV shows. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2018 at 2:06pm
Yeah, I figured that as well. So basically just like an HBO series, then. Or Stranger Things, or probably most Netflix dramas. Which again, if I like the actual over arching plot, that could be a good thing, but if the plot drags at all on any season, my enjoyment will quickly slip off and there will be nothing to save it for me. I saw a spoiler for JJ season 2 but it sounded awesome, so I at least feel good about that one. The only other one I know much about is the finale of The Defenders, which sounds awful but it could be good comedy, I guess (basically, I heard their plan for saving a city was literally to just blow part of it up, lmao!)

Edited by DippoMagoo - 09 Mar 2018 at 2:07pm
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2018 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by DippoMagoo DippoMagoo wrote:

(basically, I heard their plan for saving a city was literally to just blow part of it up, lmao!)

That's exaggerating what happens a bit and leaves out the fact that the antagonists were going to destroy the city anyway. 

Sorry if that's a spoiler but you seem to have an idea how it ends anyway. 

Edited by adg211288 - 09 Mar 2018 at 2:39pm
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2018 at 3:04pm
Yeah, I kinda figured there was a lot more to it than what I had heard. That just sounded so hilarious, though. Thankfully, I know nothing else about it, so without any context it doesn't really mean much to me, anyway. Hopefully I can at least get that far to see what the big deal is, though in general the consensus seems to be that the shows go downhill big time starting with Iron Fist, then don't recover until The Punisher and then Jessica Jones 2 seems to be getting a good reception, but not as good as the first season.
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2018 at 4:13pm
I actually enjoyed Iron Fist although it was disappointingly a little one-dimensional. Defenders had some good one-liners too. 

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2018 at 4:24pm
In the (extremely likely) event that I do dislike one of the shows, would it be possible to just skip them, or am I pretty much done in that case? Because it would kinda suck to start getting into the shows, only to drop them as soon as one show proves to be unwatchable. 
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2018 at 5:18pm
You can skip a series, but not really an episode.

There's a chronology to them too. If I recall, it's something like Daredevil S1, Jessica Jones S1, Daredevil S2, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Defenders, The Punisher, Jessica Jones S2. You can watch out of sequence, but characters are introduced that cross shows and references made to other series, so if you do like the shows, you're best to watch in order.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2018 at 2:15am
Chris is right on the official order. 

There's one character in particular that crosses over between most of the shows (she only had a minor role in Jessica Jones S1 and didn't appear in The Punisher at all) so because of her storyline they really need to be watched in order, though you could get away with watching Jessica Jones S1 before Daredevil S1 because the only way those connect is minor references to events.

This is what must be watched in order:

Jessica Jones S1 > Luke Cage
Daredevil S2 > The Punisher
GG2U

Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2018 at 3:37am
The character in the comics is known as the night nurse (played by Rosario Dawson on Netflix although they don't refer to her as such). 

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 8:24pm
I watched the first two  episodes of Daredevil again last night. I debated re-watching them or skipping to episode 3, but I'm glad I did watch them again, because while I remember his father's backstory, Karen Page and the end of episode 2, I completely forgot some things, like Foggy Nelson (I just totally forgot he existed, despite the fact that him and Karen spend most of episode 2 together, lol) as well as a character who I think is this "Night Nurse" Chris mentions. I'm about to watch two or three more episodes now. So far I'm liking it, though, honestly, it's up there with Jessica Jones, Luke Cage and The Punisher as the shows I was feeling more confident about in the first place. 

And yes, I did already hear that The Punisher himself is introduced in season 2 of Daredevil, so that will give me a better idea of what to expect from his series, I'm sure.

Edited by DippoMagoo - 12 Mar 2018 at 8:25pm
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 12:55am
Finally finished watching the first five seasons of Orange is the New Black. I enjoyed the show greatly.

Now watching Mindhunter. Nice slow Building sinister atmosphere in this one. I´m enjoying this show.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 10:18am
Daredevil hit a bit of a speed bump for me last night, to the point where I almost switched it off midway through episode 5. I'm still generally liking it enough to keep going, but it really isn't any better than the CW shows were at their best, imo, possibly worse, though at least so far it hasn't been as bad as those shows had been lately. My main problem is, the villains somehow seem more developed than the main character, like I can understand their plans and motivations very clearly, while some things Matt does seem random, with no set up whatsoever. That's one thing the CW shows definitely do much better. 

I also found episode 5 to be an absolute drag to sit through overall, because it's one of those lame set up episodes where it's so damn predictable, I literally could have skipped the whole thing and knew exactly what had happened. I get why those episodes need to exist, but that sure as hell doesn't make them any more enjoyable to watch. 6 was at least much better, though, so I'll stick it out for now. I'm beginning to fear I'm just burned out on superheroes in general, though. Maybe the others will go better, since I don't think they'll have the whole "secret identity" thing I'm finding to be overly played out and annoying.

Edited by DippoMagoo - 14 Mar 2018 at 10:19am
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2018 at 2:17pm
9 episodes in now, and still going back and forth on whether or not I actually like it. I definitely find Wilson Fisk infinitely more interesting and entertaining than any of the supposed main characters, which is obviously a massive problem. I can't imagine how I'll get through season 2, knowing he won't be back.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2018 at 1:30am
I actually liked season 2 and the Punisher storyline more. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2018 at 4:40pm
I am interested to see The Punisher, and that will give me an idea of what to expect from his show. I guess I'm just really not finding Matt to be an interesting character at all, so far. At least I get Jessica Jones in between seasons for a break, and from the little I've heard about that one, I should like her character much more than Matt. Than again, just about anything would be more interesting than him, tbh. I've heard most people say the Iron Fist character is worse, but I really can't imagine how that's possible.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2018 at 1:39pm
Well, I only have two episodes left for season 1, which I'll finish tonight, but I definitely think this series is massively overrated. It has a lot of the flaws I was constantly bringing up with Arrow/Flash, and episode 10 was absolutely abysmal, to the point where I almost just switched it off and called it quits there. The main plot of that episode, though, is the kind of thing where it makes me wonder how the hell the writers could have possibly thought anyone would be entertained by it, because it was just so repetitive and boring. Obviously, it doesn't help that I've seen other shows do the same thing a million times over, so I was just bored out of my mind while watching it. Once again, if Wilson Fisk wasn't there to keep things interesting, I would have given up on it. Episode 11 was better, and that ending scene was fantastic, but I still can't say I have hopes for the end of the season. 

At this point, if I don't like Jessica Jones, I may as well not even bother with the rest, because it seems obvious my superhero burnout is very real. The trailers look interesting enough that I definitely will give it a shot, though, and then I'll decide on the rest depending on how that goes. I think season 2 of Daredevil will be extremely hard for me to sit through, though.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2018 at 1:57pm
I think you are definitely burnt out on superheros, Travis. Though I don't think Jessica Jones, Luke Cage and especially The Punisher really feel like superhero shows despite the fact that Jones and Cage actually have powers (The Punisher is simply a hard bastard, as my late granddad would have called him). 
GG2U

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 42>
  Share Topic