MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What TV shows are you watching right now?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2526272829 42>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2020 at 6:12am
Just finished Nightflyers:
Nightflyers (2018)
Tupan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2020 at 8:02am
^ Did you like it, Jonas? I want to see, but this show just get bad reviews.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2020 at 10:02am
^Some ideas and parts were great, but overall I wasn´t too impressed.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2020 at 10:04am
I was going to watch that one, but then saw it was cancelled within weeks of dropping on Netflix, before I'd got around to starting it. When TV companies do that, for me it's basically saying 'do not watch our series'.
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2020 at 10:08am
I watched two episodes of Altered Carbon season 2 so far. And so far a lot of my fears about the series future have been realised. They've taken elements of books 2 & 3 (mostly 3, it seems so far), but overall it feels all new so far. That's not necessarily a big problem because I did think while reading book 2 that it would be difficult to film as a compelling TV season, but the bigger issue at hand so far is that it feels incredibly toned down compared to season 1. Maybe further episodes will change that, but so far the series' vibe doesn't feel the same. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2020 at 1:44pm
Oh boy as expected the series 12 finale changed everything in Doctor Who. And what a cliffhanger. Shocked

Spoilers, obviously!

The show basically just made it so they can bring in previously unknown Doctor's like Jo Martin's whenever they please. And whoa anyone who took issue with Jodie Whittaker being cast is really going to blow a gasket now that the Doctor's true first incarnation (we presume) has been shown to also be female. 
GG2U

Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2020 at 3:04pm
^ She's moved this series from a "meh" doctor that came over as unconvincing in the last series to probably my favourite of all. Great series / episode. And The Master came into his own too, for me.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 4:00am
Having digested this episode a bit more, I feel like we have a lot more questions now than we needed answered in the first place. The whole back story with Tecteun, the Doctor's adoptive mother, presents an entirely different origin of the Time Lords and regeneration. But I do wonder since Tecteun regenerated into a male incarnation straight away that maybe Tecteun and Rassilon might be one and the same. 

Also, just where did The Doctor come from originally? I sense a future story arc. And if they could regenerate indefinitely originally, how did the Time Lords change it so he couldn't as Matt Smith? And did they actually give him a new regeneration cycle in The Time of the Doctor or just re-unlock the original eternal regeneration ability? And just how many incarnations are there? I lost count in the episode flashbacks, but they made the Morbius Doctors canon so that's at least eight, plus Jo Martin and more than three incarnation's as an actual child (I wasn't counting just how many - but IIRC the first two were female and #3 the first male). There was also the young black incarnation that first joined The Division. I'd guess there's at least well over two dozen incarnations pre-Jodie. Probably a lot more. 

This all makes me wonder if all this was what Hartnell's Doctor ran away from in the first place, even if he didn't know it. 

Mind officially boggled. 
GG2U

666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 10:07am
A great episode, but if anything the Cybermen plot became a distraction. 

Biggest disappointment though? No Captain Jack. I was sure he'd sure up again in part 2. Maybe in the next special. I can picture him as an inmate in that prison the Judoon sent the Doctor to. 
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 2:48pm
Just finished season 3 of Top Boy. I watched the show with my son and we both found it a great show:
Top Boy (2011)
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2020 at 4:07am
Originally posted by 666sharon666 666sharon666 wrote:

A great episode, but if anything the Cybermen plot became a distraction. 

Biggest disappointment though? No Captain Jack. I was sure he'd sure up again in part 2. Maybe in the next special. I can picture him as an inmate in that prison the Judoon sent the Doctor to. 

I can see this being very likely. I don't think they would bring him back for that brief part and have no scenes with the Doctor if they didn't have something else already planned.

In other news, two of the three companions have been announced to exit the show after the next special. Only Yaz will continue.

Is it too much to hope for a series 13 line-up of The Doctor, Yaz and Captain Jack?

One thing bugging me about that cliffhanger, how did the Judoon break into the TARDIS like that? It's always been a big deal before about how nothing can get in invited. It seems like a major plot hole. 
GG2U

Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2020 at 1:41pm
I'm not surprised Ryan is being written out after a few episodes back. And yes a Doctor, Yaz & Jack line-up would be great. 

I see the Facebook crowd has gone into its usual meltdown over the latest revelations, as if Chibnall pulled this idea out of his arse overnight. 
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2020 at 2:08pm
Yeah, I've seen it. It's not as if the seeds of the idea weren't planted back in 1976 or something. Oh wait.

The thing is, I found everything they presented in this episode to be completely plausible within the established lore. Clearly no one over on FB has heard of the saying 'history is written by the winners'. I find it extremely likely that the Time Lord origin as previously presented, with Rassilion and Omega as central figures, came about because after the ability to regenerate creates the Time Lords, they assume power and then paint themselves as some kind of God figures. At some point The Doctor (Ruth or close incarnation) while working for The Division begins to become a 'problem' including running away, which results in the Ruth Clayton identity under the Chameleon Arch being hunted. Eventually they catch up with her (in whatever regeneration) and do the memory wipe and reset them to a child, which is the young Doctor we actually see in Listen, who grows up to be Hartnell and runs away again. They also limit his regeneration's to the number set by Tecteun, essentially making him a 'normal' Time Lord. Maybe The Doctor sought to expose the Time Lord's origins, having become disillusioned with their work with The Division. It's just my personal theory right now, but I'm sure it's one way this doesn't outright contradict established lore. 

I think Trenzalore is also very explainable: they are Time Lords. If they can hide so much history from the living Doctor's mind I'm pretty sure they can also mess with the deceased Doctor's timestream, which doesn't even exist in that place anymore due to timey-whimey stuff. 

Ruth having a police box TARDIS is an issue, but I don't find it unreasonable to believe that The Doctor always liked that design and that the sentient TARDIS made the decision to pick that design. 

Of course the so called fans bitching about the changes to lore would probably also bitch if it had all turned out to be a ploy on The Master's part. You can't please those people. 
GG2U

TheHeavyMetalCat View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Black and Death Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHeavyMetalCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2020 at 1:04am
I'd much rather the Doctor be some unknown species rather than the half-human storyline of the TV movie! Fans love to rant about Chibnall but forget how the show has a long history to re-writing it's own canon.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2020 at 1:37am
Yep and years down the line if the show is still running they'll blame future showrunners for retconing the things Chibnall put in during his run. 

Just blame it on wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey stuff and move on. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 5:31am
Wasn't expecting Eugene to start singing Iron Maiden on this week's Walking Dead. Clap
GG2U

Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 6:08am
^ And not one of the famous tracks either, though a fitting one for the show. Would have been one of the last songs they released in the TWD timeline. 
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2020 at 3:02am
Just finished season 2 of Altered Carbon, and I actually think I liked it a Little better than Season 1. Maybe Season 1 confused me a bit as I haven´t read the books, and I´m just more into the universe now? hmm...WHO knows...I enjoyed Season 2:
Anthony Mackie in Altered Carbon (2018)
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2020 at 3:17am
^ Season 2 has been pretty good in its own right for me (I still have two episodes to watch). My biggest issue with it is that it seems very toned down compared to season 1, which was much more gritty and adult sci-fi that few seem prepared to make. While this is still not exactly what you'd call Star Wars brand family friendly, it doesn't feel like it deserves the 18 rating it has in the UK anymore. 

BOOK SPOILERS!

I can also confirm that season 2 does not really follow much of the books. Actually it has more of book 3 than book 2. Kovacs' Anthony Mackie sleeve fits with his book 2 sleeve and the character of Carrera also comes from book 2, but Kovacs served under him on a completely different planet. The whole Quell's return and a younger version of Kovacs also running about is all from book 3. Quell's return is handled very differently in the show than the book, writing out a whole group of characters. 

It's not necessarily a bad thing. When I read book 2 I did get the feeling that it was unfilmable as a workable TV show or even a movie. Lots of slow exploration and minimal action. It's not really a surprise that they went straight in with book 3 plots and just added elements from elsewhere. Actually the character of Trepp should have been in season 1. But season 1 made a lot of changes as well. Poe is actually supposed to resemble Jimi Hendrix for example, but they couldn't get the rights to use his likeness. Also Reileen Kawahara is not Kovacs sister in the books. But overall season 1 is a faithful adaptation. 
GG2U

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2020 at 5:08am
^Well there´s a lot less nudity and sex scenes in season 2 if that´s what you mean...and the Visuals in season 1 were also slightly more spectacular, although I thought Season 2 looked great too.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2526272829 42>
  Share Topic