MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What TV shows are you watching right now?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 42>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Power & Neo, Goth & Symph, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2018 at 2:10pm
Yeah, at this point I'm hoping the lack of a secret identify for Jessica Jones and Luke Cage will help make them more manageable.  I believe Iron Fist is the same way, right? That one just looked more comedic, based on trailers, which could be hit or miss for me. Honestly, though, the CW shows have made me completely sick of plot lines revolving around character lying about secret identities or jobs or something and having them spend half the time fighting each other instead of doing anything else, so that's pretty much what's ruining Daredevil for me. 

Edited by DippoMagoo - 17 Mar 2018 at 2:12pm
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2018 at 2:28pm
Iron Fist as the name implies is his 'superhero' name and as such that he is Iron Fist isn't public knowledge though he can be quite loose lipped about it. I didn't have an issue with the series overall the way some did but the tone is altogether more fantastical compared to the other shows (which carries over to The Defenders which is basically an extension of Iron Fist's first season and Daredevil's second even if all four characters are in it), even though on Netflix it's branded with an 18 age restriction whereas Jessica Jones and Luke Cage both only earned 15's in spite of their themes being a lot more gritty and mature. 

But as far as in-fighting between good guys goes, you're not going to be happy with Iron Fist because there's a lot of that in that one right from the get-go, with characters changing allegiance or betraying Iron Fist at different times. It makes sense at first because the whole plot involves around Iron Fist returning to reclaim his father's company after supposedly being dead for years and no ones believes him, but the whole theme of shifting alliances continues throughout the whole season and one particular reveal regarding a character's allegiance is very cliche which I expect may bother you given your views of these kind of shows right now. 

I don't know how The Defenders affects Jessica Jones season 2 yet but you can comfortably watch her first season and the first Luke Cage without having much effect on anything else. The Punisher needs Daredevil s2 though and Luke Cage 2 whenever it drops will definitely be affected by The Defenders due to one of its core characters...actually I can't say more than that without spoilers, but something happens to them in The Defenders that will be noticeable in Luke Cage 2. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
DippoMagoo View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2018 at 3:16pm
^So basically, it sounds a lot like the beginning of Arrow except somehow even worse. I'm sure I'll just that one, then Wink

My plan for now, is to watch the next two in the sequence, because they have most potential to be my favorites (and yes, I do know Luke Cage is introduced in Jessica Jones, which I'm guessing is why they must be watched in that order) and then if I like those, I'll attempt to suffer through Daredevil 2. If I somehow get through that one, I'll be 5 episodes past the halfway point, which would be a good time for a brief break before the real trial of Iron Fist and The Defenders, so that's when I'll watch Altered Carbon and maybe something else. At least with that one, I know for sure it's not a superhero series in any way, so I should be good to go, plus it's apparently Sci-Fi with some sort of mystery to it, which should be right up my alley.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2018 at 4:42pm
Just finished Mindhunter, and I enjoyed season 1. I like the slow Building sinister atmosphere of the show, and the fact that it´s based on real-life events.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 11:53pm
Well, I at least managed to get through season 1 of Daredevil That's probably the best thing I can say about it. Spoilers follow for anyone who hasn't seen it.

So basically, I find it incredibly ironic that for a series where I've constantly been complaining about in-fighting between the main characters, how the hell do they resolve the conflict, which had been gaining momentum on some fronts throughout the season, but had very little actual screen time between the two main characters on each side? They do it largely through in-fighting on the villains side, of course LOL The entire season felt like a really bad joke, that I somehow was the only person who witnessed it, because I seriously don't understand how that's considered a great season of TV. It's not even entertaining most of the time (though the finale was excellent comedy) and at least as far I'm concerned, it does nothing better than any other superhero shows, and it does several things much worse, like actually making me care for the "good" characters.

Thankfully, that crap is done, and now I can move on to other things. I watched episode 1 of Jessica Jones and it already managed to make me care far more about its title character within the first scene than Daredevil did in 13 full episodes. I was already liking the episode a lot throughout the first 40 minutes, but then the final 15 minutes introduced some psychological elements that only made it even more interesting. I can't get too hyped up, just because it's from the same line of shows as Daredevil, but it certainly looks much better than that nonsense so far.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 4:29pm
Sigh, does every single superhero related story need to resort to stupidity at some point or another? I honestly think a TV format is a bad thing in a way, because you know nothing can be resolved until a set amount of episodes is up, so whenever there's a chance for something to work out, something stupid needs to happen instead, to draw things out. 

Anyway, I'm 11 episodes into Jessica Jones, and despite that opening paragraph, it's actually by far the best series I've watched since Person of Interest ended (yes, I am liking it more than Stranger Things, even, because the characters are generally deeper and more interesting) but the limitations and restrictions of having to tell a story over a certain amount of episodes is still hurting it a bit. For the most part, everything that happens makes some degree of sense, unlike in Daredevil where things really fell off a cliff in the second half, but this Simpson character feels like total nonsense to me, and is the one thing keeping it from being a near perfect season for me. Everything else has been brilliant, especially the scenes between Jessica and Kilgrave, but the fight scene between her/Trish and Simpson was the first time the series almost reached Daredevil levels of stupidity (even though everything afterward was of course to back to being excellent again.) I really hope the final two episodes and season 2 don't have anything that silly. 

Edited by DippoMagoo - 20 Mar 2018 at 4:30pm
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 12:18am
As expected, the next episode was very good, and then the finale was pretty much perfect, so at least one of the Netflix Marvel shows ended up being well worth it. Next I need to decide if I think there's any shot of me liking The Punisher or Iron Fist, which both seem a bit unlikely, tbh. I may try seeing how much of Daredevil 2 I can take, with Luke Cage serving as a break in between torture, or I may just skip Daredevil 2, Iron Fist and Punisher altogether, and just watch Luke Cage, then move on to Jessica Jones 2. 
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 12:36am
On episode 12 of JJ series two. To be honest Travis, there’s nothing in it that so far has taken feeds from anything but series one.
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 12:37am
Although personally I wouldn’t skip the others, but then I quite liked DD series one.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 12:40am
Back to watching The Walking Dead Again...hmmm...I sure hope they´ll wrap the series up soon. Hopefully they´ll make a short (6-8 episodes) season 9 and end it. I´m not feeling that enthusiastic about the series anymore.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 12:45am
Originally posted by Bosh66 Bosh66 wrote:

On episode 12 of JJ series two. To be honest Travis, there’s nothing in it that so far has taken feeds from anything but series one.

That's good to know, in case I don't make it through any of the others. I already heard from Adam that Luke Cage 2 will likely build off of The Defenders, though, so I like the first season of that show, I might need to watch the others. I think I will attempt Daredevil 2 and see how long it takes for me to want to shoot myself. If it's automatic, then obviously I'll need to figure something out. The problem is, almost everything says season 2 is vastly inferior, so if I already wasn't too impressed by season 1..........
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 2:29am
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

Back to watching The Walking Dead Again...hmmm...I sure hope they´ll wrap the series up soon. Hopefully they´ll make a short (6-8 episodes) season 9 and end it. I´m not feeling that enthusiastic about the series anymore.

the show is going downhill and they've made several changes from the comics but the last one (Carl) is the worst. In the comics Carl is still alive and has a nice story post the Negan conflict. 
I don't understand how they are becoming worse since the comics are so good. 
But the TV show is distancing from the original material too much, that was a mistake IMO. 

Edited by LittleBig - 21 Mar 2018 at 3:05am
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 2:44am
Originally posted by DippoMagoo DippoMagoo wrote:

I already heard from Adam that Luke Cage 2 will likely build off of The Defenders.

Something happens to one main character that you can't not miss if you skip The Defenders but the actual plot presumably should build off where season 1 left off. The Defenders plot builds more of Daredevil season 2 and Iron Fist season 1.

Though I have read that Iron Fist will feature in season 2 of Luke Cage. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 2:12pm
Well, I imagine The Defenders may at least be somewhat tolerable, since I at least know Jessica and Luke will be there. I watched trailers for all of them, and The Punisher looks like a cool character, but whether or not I can get through Daredevil 2 just for him is a whole other matter. 
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 2:46pm
Mind over matter. I’m sure a bright lad like you can convince yourself that you’re watching a Shakespearean tragedy 😉
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 3:46pm
So this just popped up on Netflix: https://www.netflix.com/title/80217957

Reboot was one of my favourite series growing up but I've been looking at the episode stills for this and reading up about it and all I can think about is 'what the fuck have they done?' If there was ever a series that deserved a resurrection I'd have named this one but this looks like it's going to take one big shit all over what made the original great. 

The original Reboot is one 'children's' series I would still happily watch. I only in fact saw it all as an adult. It was actually pulled from UK screens part way through season 3 due to being deemed 'too adult' for the content sensors at ITV. I would have been a bit too young at the time to understand why (and with no internet back then there was no way to know why the series suddenly disappeared) but in hindsight I think the season 3 premier may have had a lot to do with it. Not only because of the strong horror theme, but also because of this:

That definitely seems like too much cleavage for a supposed children's show that was on in the middle of the afternoon. LOL

Edited by adg211288 - 31 Mar 2018 at 3:46pm
GG2U

Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 4:26pm
Been watching Twin Peaks lately. Gotta love Lynch's directing style.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 5:02pm
Just started series 3 of Billions.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 12:59pm
Finally finished this one:

I really enjoyed the show. Season 2 was even better than season 1 IMO.

Elijah Wood and Samuel Barnett in Dirk Gentlys Holistic Detective Agency (2016)
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 3:16pm
^ I personally enjoyed season 1 more, than I still liked 2 a lot. I'm really disappointed it was cancelled. I'm hoping Netflix continues it without BBC America involved. 
GG2U

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 42>
  Share Topic