MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What TV shows are you watching right now?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 42>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2022 at 12:36am

Christmas Eve, so I gotta watch this.
DippoMagoo View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Power & Neo, Goth & Symph, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2022 at 11:12pm
They may as well have called this season "Iron Fist: Presented by people who hate Danny Rand". Well, it looks like I'm once again a bit of an outlier, because I liked this less than Season 1. It did have some good moments, especially from Colleen and Walker, but I never found Davos interesting before, and he certainly didn't get any better this season. And of course, the Meachams were as awful as ever, LOL

The big issue, though, is it feels like their response to the criticisms toward Danny after Season 1, wasn't to find a way to improve him, but instead to essentially take the biggest dump they possibly could on him and his character, and as someone who actually liked him before, his arc this season felt like a massive slap in the face. It honestly might be one of the worst cases I've seen of a show thoroughly taking a dump on its MC across a single season, with no real redemption arc in sight.

Edited by DippoMagoo - 21 Dec 2022 at 11:16pm
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2022 at 10:06pm
I really liked this one. It had some cheesy moments, and the humor definitely shows signs of some of the cringey shit Marvel has been doing lately (I'm really dreading She-Hulk, LMFAO), but I really enjoyed seeing Hawkeye's relationship with Kate evolve as the series went on, and while I've heard people say the latter in particular shines while the series namesake doesn't, I'd disagree, and say he has some of his best character moments throughout this series, and I think they did a really good job of building on his personal arc, while bringing Kate and other characters into it. I do seem to be in the minority, though, in that I've always found Hawkeye to be underrated, in that he may not be as flashy as some of the others, but I actually like how grounded he is, and how he constantly doubts himself (especially after certain events in Infinity War/Endgame). I find that far more relatable than a lot of the other characters, tbh.

Edited by DippoMagoo - 11 Dec 2022 at 10:07pm
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2022 at 1:12pm
Just finished Cowboy Beebob and I liked it.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2022 at 4:52am
I have a few shows in mind to watch soon since I'm finding myself in a lull for movies I want to see, but for now I'm still watching the odd episode of Cowboy Bebop here and there (I expect I may binge the rest one day soon), the odd episode of what must be my fourth, maybe even fifth re-watch of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, and I've just started to re-watch the excellent Lilyhammer. 

This was reported to being removed from Netflix recently, but was saved at the last minute so I had to start watching it again. I didn't feel I had time to watch all three seasons again before it was supposed to disappear, which was disappointing. 

I'm also recently finished two Star Wars shows:

This is filler, but it's good filler, showing gaps in the story that explains so much like why Ahsoka suddenly went to using two lightsabres, the fate of Yaddle and when Kamino was deleted from the Jedi archives. 

Andor was good and interesting to see Star Wars without Jedi, but even so, it does also feel kinda weird to have Star Wars without Jedi. The show also suffers because we all know where Andor's story is going to end. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2022 at 10:48pm
I've read the tragi-comic book this is based on and it's more tragedy than comic. Gritty as fuck.

80s sci-fi. Imagine the Martians from The War of The Worlds won. Vaguely remember it from when I was a kid, so decided to give it a go.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2022 at 10:12pm
Well, apparently this image I used  for Season 1 was actually the Season 2 one along, lol

Either way, I liked this much more than Season 1. It did a nice job of building on things from that season, as well as ridding the bad taste that finale left by following up on things nicely and actually having a real fucking ending this time LOL Still not one of my favorites in this universe, since it does get repetitive at times, and I'm not too fond of some of the mainstay characters, but overall this season greatly improved it for me.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2022 at 2:41pm

Fuck. This was excellent through episodes 1 to 3 and mostly really faithful to the book (a few changes here and there, some skimming through things to move the plot along, and one character gender swapped which seems to have been for no other reason than to include a lesbian couple in it, but nothing that couldn't be forgiven) then on the fourth and final part they fucked it up big time by doing a really poorly thought out character merger that just makes that character's entire role in the story just make zero sense. Doesn't help that it's also my favourite character. 

The newly added backstory for the protagonist I could also have done without. But I could have lived with it if they hadn't messed up the final part as badly as this. 

Very frustrating adaptation in the end. Ouch

Read the book instead. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2022 at 9:41am
Jessica Jones...hell yeah, I loved that show and so did my wife.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2022 at 11:13pm
Unsurprisingly, I liked this a lot, even though it clearly wasn't as good as Season 1. The lack of a Kilgrave level villain hurt the first half a bit, and characters occasionally acting weird didn't help, but once the central conflict started picking up steam around Episode 6, it got really interesting and only got better as it went along. 
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2022 at 11:02am
Watchin Dahmer. Great show, especially since I´m a huge Macabre fan.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2022 at 10:44am
I loved The Punisher. Dark, brutal, and raw just like I expected given the source material.
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2022 at 8:19am
It was good for sure, and close to the source material for the character.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2022 at 10:12pm
Yeah, this ruled. Easily the darkest, most brutal show in that universe, and it can still be incredibly wholesome at times, and as unhinged as Frank is, he's still easily my favorite character out of all these shows. I'm not sure I think a Season 2 is really necessary, tbh, as it would have been very easy to end things here, but other than that, this was near perfect. 
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2022 at 10:28pm
It looks like an actor pretty much unofficially confirmed Jon Bernthal will be back as The Punisher at some point in Phase 5, in one way or another. I'm definitely hyped to have him return, I just really hope being owned by Disney doesn't cause them to tone his character down at all, because he works perfectly as is. 

Speaking of which, that's perfect timing for that announcement, because I just started Season 1 of his series last night LOL Four episodes in, and it's already absolutely obliterating anything else from that universe since at least Daredevil 2.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2022 at 11:21am

Nearly 45 years old, but still utterly brilliant informative, intelligent TV.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2022 at 5:03pm
I actually thought this was brilliant, at least up until the finale. I usually get annoyed when shows alternate rapidly between being dark and being comedic, but this pulled it off really well, largely thanks to the nature of the MC, which really helped everything make sense. I thought the way it handled his mental illness was quite fascinating, and pretty much everything surrounding the character was amazing. The fifth episode in particular was some of my favorite Marvel story-telling ever, and obviously Oscar Isaac was fantastic the whole way through.

Even the finale was setting to be fantastic, with some great plot moments and badass action, up until around 3/4 of the way through, where it felt like the writers pretty much said "Oh shit, we need t wrap this up in a hurry, let's just come up with whatever cheap bullshit we can and call it a day!" and left it as is. I do understand what happened there, and it made sense when it happened earlier in the season, but to pull that off in a big climactic sequence during the finale? NOPE Otherwise, though, I thought the series was fantastic, and that one disappointment can ultimately be forgiven. 

Edited by DippoMagoo - 24 Oct 2022 at 5:04pm
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2022 at 5:10am
I think the Punisher is quite brilliant. Darker and more violent than the other shows in the series.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2022 at 9:28pm
Meh. It had some nice character moments, and I did actually like the finale quite a bit, but it took ages to really get going, and it felt like it was constantly stalling, with the occasional exciting bits interrupted by long stretches of filler. A lot of it wasn't even al that interesting either, and simply felt overextended, to hit a quota of 8 episodes, when the story had maybe 4-6 episodes of content, if I'm being very generous. I'm giving these a bit of a break, to try Moon Knight, and then I'll likely have a couple weeks without watching anything, but hopefully The Punisher will be better than these last few shows, lol

Edited by DippoMagoo - 21 Oct 2022 at 9:28pm
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2022 at 11:14pm
Cowboy Bebop the anime is fantastic. The live action series is a total shitshow LOL

I'm halfway through The Defenders and feeling kinda meh on it. On the one hand, it is cool seeing everyone together, and there have been some good moments, but holy crap, 4/8 episodes in and it feels like barely anything has happened. I can get wanting to take time to build things up, but when 80% or so of the first half of a series feels like filler, that's a serious problem, lol I guess I'll see how I feel by the end, but so far it feels like it either desperately needed more episodes, or it needed to move a lot faster.

Edited by DippoMagoo - 19 Oct 2022 at 11:16pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 42>
  Share Topic