Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MMA Collaborator's Top Albums of 2015

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MMA Collaborator's Top Albums of 2015
    Posted: 01 Apr 2016 at 6:04am
The Metal Music Archives Collaborators Top Albums of 2015

This year, after last year's experiment with a different format, we've returned to having a ranked countdown of albums. So without further ado, the top 35 albums of 2015. Enjoy.

Saxon - Battering Ram

Traditional Heavy Metal

49 points.

"Like Iron Maiden, Saxon is a classic NWoBHM band that still delivers the goods today. Saxon is also one of those bands that seem to get better with age, and Battering Ram is proof of that. This is one addicting heavy metal album that no fans of classic metal should miss." - Unitron, MMA Collaborator.

Coal Chamber - Rivals

Nu Metal

50 points.

"Overall, "Rivals" is an excellent return for Coal Chamber. "Dark Days" was my favorite album from them, but I think "Rivals" has become my favorite. It takes all that the previous album did so well, and adding in a few new things to spice it up. Welcome back Coal Chamber, I'm excited for what they have coming next." - Unitron, MMA Collaborator.

Joint 32.

Enter Shikari - The Mindsweep

Metalcore

51 points.

"This shows Enter Shikari evolving even more, and makes me eager to await anything else they have coming. If you want something heavy, melancholy, and lyrically dealing with current events you cannot go wrong here. A true great album." - Unitron, MMA Collaborator.

Joint 32.

Drudkh - A Furrow Cut Short

Atmospheric Black Metal

51 points.

Joint 29.

The Gentle Storm - The Diary

Symphonic Metal

52 points.

"Similarly to how the Ayreon albums The Dream Sequencer (2000) and Flight of the Migrator showcase a soft and a heavy side of Arjen's music, The Diary features both a Gentle album and a Storm album to do much the same thing. The Gentle album is based around folk music while the Storm album features more familiar metal territory, although more in a symphonic metal vein than Lucassen's usual progressive metal fare." - adg211288, MMA Admin/Collaborator.

"Regardless of version, The Diary is probably one of Lucassen's more accessible albums, as it's full of catchy songs, sung beautifully by Anneke. Both discs are impressive work but ultimately I personally find I prefer the Gentle version, despite being more of a metalhead." - 666sharon666, MMA Collaborator.

Joint 29.

My Dying Bride - Feel the Misery

Doom Metal

52 points.

"So as always with a new My Dying Bride release it´s the quality of the songwriting and the sound production which define it´s rank in the band´s discography. And the songwriting is generally really strong on "Feel the Misery". Each track is distinct sounding and memorable after only a few listens, which is not always the case on the band´s releases." - UMUR, MMA Admin/Collaborator.

Joint 29.

Leprous - The Congregation

Progressive Metal

52 points.

"While this music can sound stilted and jarring for those used to a more straightforward approach of prog metal, for this who love those little “off” types of features that add tension and distress to their musical experience, then look no further than LEPROUS who once again proves they are on the top of their game putting some true “progressiveness” into their unique brand of prog metal." - siLLy puPPy, MMA Collaborator.

Vanden Plas - Chronicles of the Immortals: Netherworld II

Progressive Metal

55 points.

Black Breath - Slaves Beyond Death

Death Metal

56 points.

"Black Breath were great on their previous releases (including the 2008 "Razor to Oblivion" EP), but this time they are absolutely on fire. They may not play a style of music that is particularly original, but they manage to put their own spin on it, and their songwriting is generally of a high class." - UMUR, MMA Admin/Collaborator.

"The main thing to really say about this album, is that it's incredibly catchy and addicting. Immediately at the beginning with opener 'Pleasure, Pain, Disease', you're assaulted with crushing riffs and once the chaotic drums come in, it becomes one of the most headbang-able songs to ever enter my ears." - Unitron, MMA Collaborator.

Joint 25.

Shining - XI: Everyone, Everything, Everywhere, Ends

Black Metal

58 points.

"The material is well written and while it´s based in black metal, there are also elements of death, thrash, doom, and progressive metal in the music. Acoustic sections have been a part of Shining´s material for years, and that trend continues on "IX – Everyone, Everything, Everywhere, Ends". This time even to the extent where they are occasionally leaving metal territory and entering depressive rock territory." - UMUR, MMA Admin/Collaborator.

Joint 25.

Armored Saint - Win Hands Down

Traditional Heavy Metal

58 points.

"Win Hands Down is quite shocking in its quality. I suppose only time will tell if it will maintain such staying power, but as it stands, this is Armored Saint's best album since Raising Fear. It might not remain compelling throughout every minute of its runtime, and it does certainly tread old ground, but it ends up being a great mix of the traditional and the modern." - Necrotica, MMA Collaborator.

Unleash the Archers - Time Stands Still

Power Metal

59 points.

"We're talking a guitar driven brand of power metal here, though still very much in line with the European power metal sound as much as the US version. The music itself does sometimes veer into other territories than power metal, such as in Crypt where the start of the song in particular draws more on the band's death metal roots with a heavier guitar sound and playing style." - adg211288, MMA Admin/Collaborator.

Myrkur - M

Atmospheric Black Metal

60 points.

"A big thing that makes Myrkur stand out in the black metal genre is her extensive use of clean vocals, which appear in both the shredding black metal sections and Scandinavian folk passages. There is of course a mix of clean vocals and stark black metal screams but I'd probably say that the clean vocals appear more then the screams or at least equally, already giving it a unique sound." - Unitron, MMA Collaborator.

"It's really too bad if you are one of the people who has already written Myrkur off without a proper listen to her music, because in M she's produced one of the most interesting black metal records I've heard for quite a while. Not since Hail Spirit Noir's Oi Magoi (2014) have I been this interested in a new black metal release, the better part of two years ago." - adg211288, MMA Admin/Collaborator.

Midnight Odyssey - Shards of Silver Fade

Atmospheric Black Metal

61 points.

"This kind of atmospheric music isn't everyone's cup of tea by its very nature, but if you're of the mindset to lose yourself in an album while you contemplate life and the universe (or whatever) this is a very easy one to do it with." - adg211288, MMA Admin/Collaborator.

Motörhead - Bad Magic

Traditional Heavy Metal

62 points.

"These three old bastards still rock with an energy and vitality which puts to shame most bands of this generation. ‘Bad Magic’ will not win Motörhead any new fans, but after 40 years, it does not matter. This will keep the fans the band already has more than satisfied." - Vim Fuego, MMA Collaborator.

"The musicianship is as always strong, and it´s definitely not audible that these guys aren´t exactly youths anymore." - UMUR, MMA Admin/Collaborator.

Faith No More - Sol Invictus

Alternative Metal

66 points.

"As with previous albums FAITH NO MORE exceeds at keeping a highly melodic aspect to their version of alternative metal. With Roddy Bottum’s excellent keyboard skills that seem to be the foundation of this band’s sound aligned with Mike Patton’s eccentric vocals, the rest of the band can only fall in line and provide supporting scaffolding to the whole musical process." - siLLy puPPy, MMA Collaborator.

"Faith No More was always an unpredictable size, and none of their previous six albums sound alike (although they all sound unmistakably like Faith No More), so guessing what "Sol Invictus" would sound like before listening to it is almost impossible. At the end of the day the music on "Sol Invictus" is Faith No More to the bone with the well playing rhythm section, the keyboards/pianos, and Mike Patton´s Schizo vocals in front." - UMUR, MMA Admin/Collaborator.

Joint 18.

Pyramaze - Disciples of the Sun

Power Metal

72 points.

"It may have taken them seven years but at least now they're finally back Pyramaze have made a real statement with Disciples of the Sun. This is a perfect way to re-launch their career. I'm confident in saying that Disciples of the Sun is the best album to bear the Pyramaze moniker yet." - adg211288, MMA Admin/Collaborator.

"The material on the 12 track, 52:25 minutes long album is well written and very catchy. Pyramaze both has good compositional understanding when it comes to structures and arrangements, but they also have a rare flair for writing memorable melodies that stick in your mind after only a few spins. So upon conclusion "Disciples Of The Sun" is a high quality release on most important parameters and a welcome comeback for Pyramaze." - UMUR, MMA Admin/Collaborator.

Joint 18.

Baroness - Purple

Sludge Metal

72 points.

"There’s just a nice balance between variety and consistency, there are fast and slow moments, periods of quick fury and periods of slow somber reflection, but it all feels like one cohesive whole. An album where you could swap the track order around and still get the same journey." - Kingcrimsonprog, MMA Collaborator.

Intronaut - The Direction of the Last Things

Atmospheric Sludge Metal

73 points.

"This is highly recommended for all the obvious sludge metal freaks who like Isis, Mastodon, Baroness, Neurosis and beyond but there are many progressive aspects i am hearing that bring Enslaved, Gorguts, Alice In Chains, Tool and even Meshuggah to mind. Well worth the price of admission and one that only gets better the more you listen to it, at least that has been the case for me." - siLLy puPPy, MMA Collaborator.

""The Direction Of Last Things" is a very well produced album, featuring a clear, organic, and powerful sounding production, which fits well with the atmospheric music. So that combined with the brilliant musicianship and the adventurous songwriting, make for an intriguing listen and a high quality release. That´s of course no surprise if you´re familiar with Intronaut´s preceeding releases, but it´s still worthy of praise that they can continue to keep the quality level of their output as high as they do here." - UMUR, MMA Admin/Collaborator.

Mgła - Exercises in Futility

Black Metal

74 points.

Vattnet Viskar - Settler

Atmospheric Black Metal

76 points.

"It's an instantly impressive release, but it's only with subsequent listens that I begin to really appreciate what a real gem of the black metal genre Settler is. For all the genre's reputation for raw, under-produced sounds and corpse painted musicians there exist groups like Vattnet Viskar and albums like Settler, which show the style's diversity. This is a mesmerising release from the group." - adg211288, MMA Admin/Reviewer.

Blind Guardian - Beyond the Red Mirror

Power Metal

80 points.

"While other big name German power metal bands have left me a bit less than impressed in recent years, Blind Guardian continues to be one of the most consistently inventive and enjoyable bands in the genre. Beyond the Red Mirror shows the band moving even further into a more symphonic progressive metal direction, but the bursts of power metal and epic vocal melodies ensure it can’t be mistaken as being by any other band, while their songwriting continues to be remarkably strong." - DippoMagoo, MMA Collaborator.

"It's instantly apparent that the wait has, as ever, been worth it though and Blind Guardian continue to show signs of their musical evolution, that's to say that while I can hear nods to several of their past albums, At the Edge of Time and A Night at the Opera (2002) especially, Beyond the Red Mirror stands on its own feet." - adg211288, MMA Admin/Collaborator.

"Blind Guardian are undeniably one of the biggest power metal bands to have ever existed. But despite the high regard that I and many others have for them if they have one fault it's that they're pretty slow at making their albums, just ten in the twenty-seven years since their debut Battalions of Fear, the latest of which is 2015's Beyond the Red Mirror. They get away with this because when they do release an album it's of a higher quality than pretty much any other artist in the power metal genre. This one is no exception, in fact for me it's their best in twenty years." - 666sharon666, MMA Collaborator.

Joint 12.

Panopticon - Autumn Eternal

Atmospheric Black Metal

82 points.

"It's obvious that Autumn Eternal is another well written Panopticon release. Lunn makes use of longish track lengths effectively to adsorb his listener without any of his ideas outstaying their welcome. I think it would have been nice to hear a bit more folk creeping in, but Autumn Eternal is clearly an album with a purpose, one that Lunn set out for and achieved. The end result is, I think, right up there with the best work in the post-black metal field." - adg211288, MMA Admin/Reviewer.

Joint 12.

Nightwish - Endless Forms Most Beautiful

Symphonic Metal

82 points.

"I had high hopes for this album as soon as I knew that Floor Jansen had been selected as the new vocalist of Nightwish. After original vocalist Tarja Turunen was fired Jansen was my personal choice to replace her. Instead we got Anette Olzon, who lets be fair on both sides of the argument, wasn't the sort of singer anyone was expecting or really wanted considering Tarja's operatic style that so defined the Nightwish sound, but who also didn't really do that bad of a job on the two albums she got to do with the band. But with that said, Floor Jansen would always have been a better replacement for Tarja Turunen. So this is really a better late than never appointment if you ask me." - adg211288, MMA Admin/Collaborator.

Tribulation - The Children Of The Night

Death Metal

85 points.

"“The Children Of The Night” is a very mature piece of work and deserves a listen from anyone with even a passing interest in metal as it has a lot to offer to even those who usually steer clear of the more extreme forms of the genre." - Nightfly, MMA Collaborator.

"I feel like Tribulation is closer to finding a unique sound on this album than on any of their previous releases (although "The Formulas of Death (2013)" is also a pretty original sounding release), or at least to finding a sound which they feel comfortable playing. It shows in the conviction of the delivery and the quality of the compositions." - UMUR, MMA Admin/Collaborator.

Paradise Lost - The Plague Within

Doom Metal

95 points.

"Paradise Lost has released many quality releases over the years, but many of them have suffered from featuring too many tracks, that didn´t stand out. They simply weren´t varied enough. That´s fortunately not true for "The Plague Within", which is a relatively varied release. Not just because of the reintroduction of growling vocals, but also as a result of the band including elements from various parts of their vast discography." - UMUR, MMA Admin/Collaborator.

Slayer - Repentless

Thrash Metal

112 points.

"It’s good news, not only have they proved that there’s life for the band without Hanneman, they’ve actually released their best album since...ooh….probably Seasons In The Abyss. World Painted Blood was good, the title track stunning, but was marred by a thin and harsh sounding production. Repentless sounds meatier...Most importantly though it’s the songs that matter and they’ve come up with some killers and overall consistency too." - Nightfly, MMA Collaborator.

"Jeff Hanneman and Kerry King typically shared the main songwriting credits on most preceeding releases by Slayer (with Tom Araya and Paul Bostaph (only once) contributing too), so with one part of the main songwriting team gone (and the original drummer gone again too), a lot of fans have questioned if Slayer would still sound like Slayer." - UMUR, MMA Admin/Collaborator.

Clutch - Psychic Warfare

Hard Rock

122 points.

"The whole thing is packed in a raw, organic, and powerful sounding production, which suits the music perfectly. And upon conclusion perfect is exactly the right word to use about "Psychic Warfare". It was great the first time I listened to it, but the fact that it has grown even better with each listen since, proves to me that this is a very special release." - UMUR, MMA Admin/Collaborator.

"It's not every year that a new favorite album is released. Clutch retains their sense of humor, their energetic rocking, and adds in some but not too much to enhance their sound even more...Every song is just as memorable as the next, whether it be fast or slow, each song really packs a punch. This is probably Clutch's best album yet, and that's not an easy thing to say with such an amazing discography." - Unitron, MMA Collaborator.

"Album highlights? Every damn song! Don’t even bother with a tester. If you like the band, you’ll love this. Overall; If you like the band then you absolutely need this in your collection. If you don’t like the band then you’re seriously missing out on something special – maybe try again now and reevaluate. In any case; I don’t reckon it would be humanly possible for Clutch to have made a better album and I can’t imagine enjoying anything they could’ve come up with this time more." - Kingcrimsonprog, MMA Collaborator. 

Melechesh - Enki

Melodic Black Metal

133 points.

"There´s not a single wasted second on "Enki", and it´s a high quality album through and through. The musicianship is strong, the sound production is powerful, and suits the music well, and all compositions have something interesting to offer to the listener, so all in all "Enki" is a very impressive release." - UMUR, MMA Admin/Collaborator.

Between the Buried and Me - Coma Ecliptic

Progressive Metal

147 points.

Enslaved - In Times

Progressive Metal

170 points.

""In Times" comes off exactly as well written and detailed as any other album released by Enslaved. Compared to it´s predecessor "In Times" features a few more black metal oriented sections (though not a dominant part of the album), but other than that it´s pretty much a natural sounding successor to "RIITIIR (2012)"." - UMUR, MMA Admin/Collaborator.

"Fans of extreme prog metal are going to snap this one up and the bar has been set for prog metal album of the year. In Times is a stunning album that will reward with repeated listens, quite possibly their best yet." - Nightfly, MMA Collaborator.

Nile - What Should Not Be Unearthed

Technical Death Metal

171 points.

"Those Whom The Gods detest was my favourite Nile album which for me encapsulated everything great about Nile. It’s early days and I don’t want to jump the gun but What Should Not Be Unearthed may even overtake it being a flawless piece of work." - Nightfly, MMA Collaborator.

"The material on the album is generally more catchy and instantly memorable than usual for Nile though, which to my ears is an upgrade from the more inaccessible material of the past. Not that preceeding releases by the band aren´t exceptionally strong (because they certainly are), but I enjoy the fact that Nile has developed their sound in a sligthly more accessible direction with more focus on hooks (I don´t recall Nile producing anything this hookladen since "Lashed to the Slave Stick" from "Annihilation of the Wicked (2005)"). This is by no means a simple death metal album though, and you can still expect to be bludgeoned by intense technical playing on a very high level." - UMUR, MMA Admin/Collaborator.

"Overall, it's another killer album from Nile. While I really enjoy or love all of Nile's albums, this one was an instant beast of an album. It's so easy to get lost in the great mix of crunch, groove, atmosphere, and melody. If you're a fan of Nile you probably have already listened, but if you're just a fan of crushing death metal, this is not an album you will want to miss." - Unitron, MMA Collaborator.

Avatarium - The Girl With the Raven Mask

Doom Metal

176 points.

"The Girl with the Raven Mask is a change of pace for Avatarium and it's for that reason that not all fans of the debut may be as happy with the change of direction but personally I couldn't be any more chuffed with how this album has turned out. As it happens in the space of two albums the band have produced excellent examples of two sounds that I happen to love, with enough of a connection between the two to still be able to tell that this is a work of Avatarium." - adg211288, MMA Admin/Collaborator.

"There’s no denying the quality of this album and I take my hat off to Avatarium for not repeating the same formula as their debut. I think I prefer the debut slightly over this one, partly down to a couple of tracks that aren’t quite on the same level, Iron Mule being the weakest, though in a lesser band would still be a triumph. This is a minor quibble though and such is the quality of TGWTRM it’s going to be in my top 10 albums of the year." - Nightfly, MMA Collaborator.

Symphony X - Underworld

Progressive Metal

205 points.

"This album is stunning from start to finish making picking favourite tracks futile. Back in 2011 I rated Iconoclast as their best yet, in truth Paradise Lost was just as good but Underworld is the equal of both of them making a trilogy of albums the equal of any metal band." - Nightfly, MMA Collaborator.

"Overall, if you're looking for a prog/power metal album with a great blend of metal styles then you couldn't do much better than this album. An eclectic and incredibly addicting album, this is certainly one of the best 2015 albums I've heard." - Unitron, MMA Collaborator.

"Symphony X is one of the greatest metal bands of their time, and continue to prove it with yet another strong output. "Underworld" should be a great addition for Symphony X fans, and please prog metal fans. Excellent album." - The Angry Scotsman, MMA Honorary Collaborator.

Iron Maiden - The Book of Souls

Traditional Heavy Metal

273 points.

"You may have to re-ask this of me in maybe a year or so, but my impression right now is that not only is The Book of Souls a top tier Iron Maiden release, but it's also worthy of being counted among the top five albums of the group. Maybe even top three. For now though one thing is clear: 5 stars." - adg211288, MMA Admin/Collaborator.

"Despite the long length this is a very easy album to take in one go. As with most albums there are highlights that stand above the rest, but no actual low points. There’s no temptation to play one disc and then take a break before starting the second one, although apart from Empire of the Clouds my personal favourites are on the first one; If Eternity Should Fail, Speed of Light, and The Red and the Black." - 666sharon666, MMA Collaborator.

"So all in all, I love this album and have not been this excited about an IRON MAIDEN album since at least “Brave New World.” Not that the others in between were bad by any means but they were not nearly as consistent as this one and haven’t demanded repeated listens like this one has whispered in my ear." - siLLy puPPy, MMA Collaborator.

Voters:

adg211288
DippoMagoo
Unitron
Nightfly
Triceratopsoil
666sharon666
bonnek
Pekka
Necrotica
UMUR
siLLy puPPy
J-Man
Colt
Bosh66
Vim Fuego
diamondblack
aglasshouse
rushfan4

Genre Breakdown of Top 35:

The rest of the top 100:

Disturbed - Immortalized
Hatchet - Fear Beyond Lunacy
Napalm Death - Apex Predator - Easy Meat
W.A.S.P - Golgotha
With The Dead - With The Dead
Wilderun - Sleep at the Edge of the Earth
Queensrhyche - Condition Human
Alkaloid - The Malkuth Grimoire
Buckethead - Twisted Branches
Civil War - Gods and Generals
Kylesa - Exhausting Fire
Satan - Atom by Atom
Sigh - Graveward
Vänlade - Rage of the Gods
Carach Angren - This is No Fairytale
Unleashed - Dawn Of The Nine
Deafheaven - New Bermuda
Dysrider - Bury the Omen
Killing Joke - Pylon
Rebellion - Wyrd bið ful aræd - The History of the Saxons 
Europe - War Of Kings
Mesarthim - Isolate
Cage - Ancient Evil
Chastain - We Bleed Metal
Darkology - Fated to Burn
District 97 - In Vaults
Malevolent Creation - Dead Man's Path
Ahab - The Boats Of Glen Carrig
Native Construct - Quiet World
Sorcerer - In The Shadow Of The Inverted Cross
Texas Toast Chainsaw Massacre - 'Til Death Do Us Party
Wind Rose - Wardens of the West Wind
10 Years - From Birth to Burial
Barren Earth - On Lonely Towers
Batushka - Litourgiya
Kontinuum - Kyrr
Powerwolf - Blessed & Possessed
Rolo Tomassi - Grievances                                                                                          
Royal Thunder - Crooked Doors
Dragony - Shadowplay
Exhumed - Gore Metal: A Necrospective 1998-2015
Extrovert - Ascension
Minutian - Inwards
Trivium - Silence in the Snow
Burweed - Hide
Draconian - Sovran
Lamb Of God - VII: Sturm Und Drang                                
Ram - Svbversvm
Sunn O))) - Kannon
Apocalyptica - Shadowmaker
DODHEIMSGARD - a umbra omega
Kingcrow - Eidos
Krallice - Ygg hurr
Mercy Brown - Mercy Brown
Sacral Rage - Illusions In Infinite Void
Fear Factory - Genexus
High on Fire - Luminiferous 
Jess And The Ancient Ones - Second Psychedelic Coming:The Aquarius Tapes
Kekal - Multilateral
Dark Moor - Project X
Enforcer - From Beyond
ÖXXÖ XÖÖX - nämïdäë
Swallow the Sun - Songs from the North I, II & III
Coheed and Cambria - The Color Before the Sun
Reverence - Gods Of War
Rivers Of Nihil - Monarchy
Tear Out the Heart - Dead, Everywhere
The Great Discord - Duende

Edited by adg211288 - 26 Sep 2017 at 9:00am
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2016 at 7:59am
Nice list and number one really isn´t that surprising :-). My own number one is Down to number 8, but that´s alright, I´m just glad it made top 10.

Edited by UMUR - 01 Apr 2016 at 11:20am
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2016 at 8:51am
Book of Souls - album of the year? Confused

TheHeavyMetalCat View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Black and Death Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHeavyMetalCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2016 at 9:05am
Originally posted by LittleBig LittleBig wrote:

And that's a problem because...?
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2016 at 9:17am
Originally posted by TheHeavyMetalCat TheHeavyMetalCat wrote:

it's not a problem
I've heard a lot better albums than that, I'm just surprised, that's all.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2016 at 9:25am

it's not a problem
Apparently a lot of other people feel otherwise. Smile
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2016 at 9:29am
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

it's not a problem
Apparently a lot of other people feel otherwise. Smile

like I said, I don't mind, I'm just surprised
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2016 at 9:42am
Great work Adam. Thumbs Up

Not surprised Maiden won, it's a great album. My own 123 came 234. Interesting to see how many black metal albums made the list. There's a few for me to check out there and a few that may have made my top 10 that are on my wants list if I'd got round to buying them and had more time to listen to them. Mgla springs to mind.

I bought 14 of those albums from last year.

Edited by Nightfly - 01 Apr 2016 at 11:07am
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2016 at 10:21am
Great work Adam. Clap

It's no surprise Maiden won, but I'm glad to see many of my favorites in the list. I'm glad my AOTY, Clutch, made it to 8. 

Hopefully some reviews will come of the albums not reviewed, so there can be some quotes.

Edited by Unitron - 01 Apr 2016 at 10:38am
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2016 at 11:20am
Originally posted by Unitron Unitron wrote:

Great work Adam. Clap

It's no surprise Maiden won, but I'm glad to see many of my favorites in the list. I'm glad my AOTY, Clutch, made it to 8. 

Hopefully some reviews will come of the albums not reviewed, so there can be some quotes.

Yep that Clutch album sure is great. My number 1 too Clap
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2016 at 2:52pm
Nice job, Adam! There are a number of releases here that I still haven't heard... too much music, too little time! LOL

Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2016 at 3:22pm
The long awaited conclusions! I'm surprised Iron Maiden took the top spot but i much prefer it to metal related bands taking that spot. Great job Adam herding all the cats to make this happen Thumbs Up
rushfan4 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors and Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2016 at 4:00pm
Iron Maiden was my number 1...so yeah for that!  I actually rank it lower than a number of albums on my list as far as ratings go...but even though it may not be as good as some other releases that I rated higher, I liked it more.   If that makes any sense.

Anyhow, thank you Adam for compiling the results and for giving me the motivation to listen to a number of new albums here in the last couple of months.  I found some really cool new releases such as the Avatarium release and the Unleash The Archers.  Even got me to listen to some growling releases...although still not my bag it is at least fun to give them a shot once in a while.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2016 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Iron Maiden was my number 1...so yeah for that!  I actually rank it lower than a number of albums on my list as far as ratings go...but even though it may not be as good as some other releases that I rated higher, I liked it more.   If that makes any sense.

It makes perfect sense. Even though an album is to your personal liking, it doesn´t mean it´s a perfect release more objectively seen. I often rate albums pretty high, although it´s not something I would listen to at home.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2016 at 4:45pm
Thanks for the comments everyone.

This looks pretty bare without the usual quotes but I didn't want to delay it. The following albums need positive reviews in order to add them.

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/album/saxon/battering-ram
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/album/drudkh/a-furrow-cut-short
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/album/leprous/the-congregation
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/album/vanden-plas/chronicles-of-the-immortals-netherworld-ii
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/album/mgla1/exercises-in-futility
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/album/panopticon/autumn-eternal
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/album/between-the-buried-and-me/coma-ecliptic

GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2016 at 5:44am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Thanks for the comments everyone.

This looks pretty bare without the usual quotes but I didn't want to delay it. The following albums need positive reviews in order to add them.

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/album/saxon/battering-ram
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/album/drudkh/a-furrow-cut-short
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/album/leprous/the-congregation
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/album/vanden-plas/chronicles-of-the-immortals-netherworld-ii
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/album/mgla1/exercises-in-futility
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/album/panopticon/autumn-eternal
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/album/between-the-buried-and-me/coma-ecliptic

Out of these I was planning on reviewing the Panopticon album anyway and maybe Mgla as well, but the others I didn't vote for so I need someone to step up here as a matter of urgency. Or at least PM me some comments for them if you voted for them that I can use, then I can finish this presentation off. 
GG2U

TheHeavyMetalCat View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Black and Death Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHeavyMetalCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2016 at 6:48am
Despite the Iron Maiden win, evidently 2015 was black metal's year. Can't say I disagree with that.

Just wondering, how is this list actually decided?
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2016 at 6:53am

Just wondering, how is this list actually decided?

Just added scores. Collabs listed up to 30 releases from applicable sub-genres (all the metal ones plus hard rock and hardcore). 30 points for their top album going down to just one for #30. 
GG2U

Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2016 at 8:37am
Great work pulling this together Adam!
666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2016 at 9:55am
Many albums I voted for made this so I'm pretty happy. It would have been nice if Unleash the Archers got a bit higher, but I'm just glad my number one got in there somewhere. Hopefully you guys start paying attention to it now.

The win for Iron Maiden though is, I think, well deserved. Not every band runs for as long as they have and still able to turn out such quality releases. I'm also please to see that Avatarium got so much attention.

Great work doing this Adam. Looks like I've got a few releases to check out now.

Edited by 666sharon666 - 02 Apr 2016 at 9:56am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic