MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Report errors & omissions here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Masterstroke Band Members

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buffalobillzblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Masterstroke Band Members
    Posted: 31 Oct 2010 at 4:40pm
Hi

Looking at the info posted here

and here

both pages state Albert Ulvoen as  drummer.  In fact this is untrue.  The Drummer on the single and in the early days of Masterstroke, certainly when Andy McMurray was auditioned and joined, was in fact Julian Wheatley
I know 'cos that that is me !!
Albert Ulvoen joined sometime after the single was recorded and after I had left the band.  I think probably around 1984. 

Edited by Colt - 10 Nov 2010 at 3:30am
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2010 at 5:43pm
Hi Julian. Thanks for the info. I've fixed both entries. Are they okay now?
Certif1ed View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Certif1ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 4:24am
Thanks for the info, Julian - it's so hard to find accurate information about so many of the bands from that important, formative time in heavy metal that we really appreciate this sort of input.

I recall reading that Masterstroke had a full set of original material, and were among the leading lights on the Kent NWoBHM scene - did the band record any gigs and/or do you have any photos?

I'm intrigued by the two pieces I've heard, and would really like to hear more!

Thanks

Mark (Cert)
buffalobillzblue View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buffalobillzblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2010 at 5:23pm

Great to hear you like what you hear.

I have no photos.  There are photos though around and I will see if I can lay my hands on them.   

It is true that we boasted a whole set of original material.  We also played covers of course. The two songs on the single were by no means or best songs.  While we recorded some gigs,  I have no idea where those recordings are now.   I have some studio recordings from the time.  They are on tape.  When I get them digitised, I'll share them with you. 

Just staritng another band now (Nov 2010).  Haven't played drums since leaving Masterstroke in 1980s.  Andy McMurray and Jim McFarnell continued to play on and still play today in 'User Friendly' .
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2010 at 4:58am
Good luck with your new band, Julian. I'm looking forward to hearing some output from that band :-)
Certif1ed View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Certif1ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2010 at 4:19pm
This is excellent news - I'm really excited to hear that there might be studio material as well as live about to resurface - and it's really cool that there's some new music on the horizon.

I'm really looking forward to hearing it too!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic