Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Where do you buy your music from?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2017 at 11:30am
^^^Welcome to the forums Keith! Clap 

And there's nothing like picking up great finds at a thrift store, I've found some great stuff there. Including Slayer's Haunting the Chapel EP.
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
keefer1970 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keefer1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2017 at 7:06am
^^ Thanks for the welcomes, all. Nice place ya got here. Think I'll hang around for a while. :D  

Edited by keefer1970 - 02 Jul 2017 at 7:07am
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2017 at 12:14pm
Bloody Amazon! I normally make my order up to £20 so I don't have to pay postage but ordered the new Decapitated album and paid postage so I'd get it today. My account say's it's arriving Tuesday WTF!!! I've had it quicker with free postage so what's the point of paying. Wont be making that mistake again.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2017 at 12:19pm
^ Did you actually pay for one day delivery? Because if you did you should demand a refund. 

Amazon don't guarantee it for release date if you don't select One Day Delivery and you also have to be careful that it actually says One Day and not 'Expedited' because that means you absolutely won't get something on release date/next day (regardless of pre-order). 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2017 at 12:25pm
^ No but it's the first time I've never got it on release date when I've paid. It's showing shipping today so it'll probably come before Tues but I like to have new stuff to listen to over the weekend. Got the New Iced Earth album to keep me occupied anyway.

Edited by Nightfly - 07 Jul 2017 at 12:27pm
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2017 at 12:42pm
I used to get things on release date or just after without having to pay years ago, but they don't pre-dispatch any more unless you're on Prime or pay for One Day Delivery. 

I've got Prime right now, which I got more for Amazon Video than the free one day delivery deal, but I have made use of that on a few things. I got caught out once by not seeing the difference between One Day Delivery and Expedited delivery, on something I needed quickly too, though.

I've posted my issues with ordering the Panopticon Kentucky reissue with them somewhere on this forum already which has been their biggest screw-up with anything I bought since taking Prime for a year. They didn't promise One Day Delivery on that but they did promise that I'd have it by June 5th. Their date, June 2nd was actually an incorrect release date so I wasn't too bothered when, as expected, June 4th rolled around and it wasn't dispatched, but they they didn't ship it on or around the real release date either. I cancelled after contacting them and they outright told me they couldn't get it.

It's now in stock and has been for at least a week or more, though they've since greatly inflated their price into what I deem the unacceptable area for a new, single disc CD album. 

I've re-ordered it elsewhere (paying less than Amazon originally charged but more than Amazon sellers are now listing it for) but I still don't have it. I'll have been waiting two weeks tomorrow. 
GG2U

666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2017 at 12:54pm
I cancelled mine with Amazon too, so I don't have one yet either.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2017 at 8:09am
I think the Panopticon album did get it's release date put back to the end of June so that's probably why they couldn't get it. 

It's often worth hanging on with Amazon until the release date before ordering as the other sellers often beat them on price, even paying for delivery by quite a bit. With vinyl I only tend to pre-order at Amazon if it's no more than £15 as I wouldn't expect it to be going much cheaper than that anyway.

The Decapitated album turned up today which is only a day after release date and much better than their original estimate of Tuesday so I'm happy. Smile
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2017 at 8:36am
It was released on June 16th worldwide according to the record label. I contacted Amazon after that and they told me that no, they couldn't get it to me within the window they were advertising (which would have been July 1st at the latest), which was supported by the listing page which had changed to 'usually shipped within 1 - 2 months.' 
GG2U

Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2017 at 3:52pm
I'm growing very tired with Amazon. Fair enough, if you don't pay for delivery or are a prime customer you can't expect to receive your order in a couple of days but to sit on it for five days without even posting it is not on. It's only encouraging me to go elsewhere.

My priorities when ordering music are...

1. Price - Amazon rarely the cheapest these days.
2. Packaging - Amazon usually good on that.
3. Delivery speed - Amazon getting slower and slower.

So Amazon need to get a grip if they want to me to keep buying music from them.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 12:29am
I hardly buy anything any more. I spend most of my time just listening to music off YouTube now.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 2:04am
Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

1. Price - Amazon rarely the cheapest these days.

Yeah the average new metal album price has really crept towards the £15 mark fast in the last couple of years and that's just for CDs. I often find it's cheaper to pay for the postage on a seller's price.

2. Packaging - Amazon usually good on that.

I usually can't complain either, though I have had a case of overkill packaging. Better than not enough though.

3. Delivery speed - Amazon getting slower and slower.

Being on Prime I've mostly been OK, but there have been a few items that they couldn't deliver on Prime speed for me.

I think this is because more and more people are going onto Prime though: they are contractually obligated to provide those orders fast, so anyone who is still holding out on Prime is getting later and later stuff. I wish I could say I believe that is all it is though: I'm willing to bet that a part of it is their way of trying to push you to Prime by delaying your order. The trouble here is most sellers seem to be in the US or Europe now which means you'll still probably get something direct from Amazon first.

I'm a Prime customer mostly for the Prime Video feature because it's not that much more to buy the full yearly Prime subscription that includes the free and fast delivery than it is to just have the videos for a monthly fee. 

The only trouble with Prime video is that it's not, yet, a patch on Netflix, especially in terms of adding new content. I follow a few of their original/exclusive shows such as Vikings, The Grand Tour and Lucifer and I've watched a few films. They've recently added Arrival which is still a fairly recent film that I intend to check out soon.

I would add a 4th point about Amazon:

4. Their selection of titles

I find that Amazon often doesn't actually keep the titles I want to buy, or if they do list them they have a release date set after the official release date for the UK (which also stops sellers from listing that title) and often don't get any stock for titles they offer up for pre-order until well after the event. This is what happened to me with the Panopticon Kentucky reissue. Before than it was the last Mare Cognitum album, which I pre-ordered the day they made it available (had been checking every day). 

I'm currently wanting to get a pre-order in for the new Anubis Gate, which is out in under two weeks, yet still isn't available to pre-order from Amazon. 
GG2U

Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 1:05pm
^ I've always held out from getting Prime and delaying my order won't encourage me to join, it'll just make me buy elsewhere. 

I have Netflix and don't feel the need to have Prime as well and what you've said only confirms my thoughts about it.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 1:12pm
Netflix is definitely better than Prime for video. When the time comes to renew whether we do or not really depends on how much everyone else in the house is watching on Prime, because I haven't touched their video section since I finished catching up with Vikings. 

Just found out that the officially endorsed European pre-order site for the new Anubis Gate is WowHD who previously tried to rip me off. Extremely unusual and bad call on Nightmare Records' part. 
GG2U

Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 3:01pm
Well what do you know, after some recent disappointing delivery times from Amazon my copy of the new Myrkur album is arriving tomorrow on release date and I didn't pay shipping. Might be so they can send it with the new Argus album I ordered last weekend in one package and they figure they've hung onto that long enough. Whatever, I'm pleased it's arriving so soon but there doesn't seem to be any consistency with them these days. 
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 11:54am
Decided to take a punt on Dodax again after some bad experiences last year. Mostly because they're offering Katatonia's Brave Murder Day for just £3.63 right now. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 4:46am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Decided to take a punt on Dodax again after some bad experiences last year. Mostly because they're offering Katatonia's Brave Murder Day for just £3.63 right now. 

Well despite a slow dispatch Dodax came through on a quick delivery this time. Maybe I'll be doing more shopping with them again in the future.
GG2U

Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 6:16am
I find Dodax reliable and good value for money. They’re also reliably slow. I always expect a slow delivery and they never disappoint 😉
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 11:15am
^ I agree, Dodax are usually good on price and I've never had an order go missing or had to return one that was damaged. You're right though, very slow - I normally expect 18 - 25 days and only once has one arrived in a week. I suspect it's because they're German based but on Amazon they say shipped from the UK. I think they may ship over here in bulk and then post individual items once they arrive in the UK from a smaller warehouse. Either that or they don't have much in stock and have to order from a supplier after you place the order. 

They have their own website as well as on Amazon which is usually a bit cheaper still. I order most of mine through this but it doesn't seem to make a difference to delivery time.

Edited by Nightfly - 22 Nov 2017 at 11:17am
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2017 at 3:33am
Amazon just dropped a lot in my regards.

I purchased a CD yesterday, direct from them (not a fulfilled by Amazon listing), in New condition.

It arrived just now and is very clearly a used CD. No shrink wrap and the case is quite heavily scuffed, which is usually a sign of handling over a long period of time in my experience. I'm testing the disc now, and so long as its fine I'll keep for the low price it cost, but needless to say I'm pretty disgusted by this. I've had this kind of crap from 3rd parties before (more often with books) but never Amazon themselves. 
GG2U

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
  Share Topic