Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Where do you buy your music from?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where do you buy your music from?
    Posted: 01 Jan 2016 at 5:14am
I thought it would be interesting to hear where you buy your Vinyl, Cd's downloads etc. I always try and support independent retailers like Heavy Ritual records who are good for vinyl as much as possible but ultimately it comes down to price, the cheaper i get them the more albums I can afford. I always buy Cd or Vinyl and have never paid for downloads.

In the past I guess i got most from Amazon but these days their prices seem to be increasing and with their minimum spend policy of £20 for free postage that puts the price up even more and it's usually the Amazon partner sellers who sell them cheaper now. In fact some Amazon partners like Dodax have their own websites so buying from them directly normally means further savings as they don't have to give Amazon a cut.

Don't know what's happened to Play.com these days, they used to beat Amazon on price but these days they either don't have what I want or are too expensive. Likewise I rarely find the cheapest price on ebay and sometimes ridiculous postage costs make the price way too high.

Of course you can't beat walking into a good old fashioned record shop and browsing but the only only one we have near where I live is HMV and their selection is rubbish if you want something that's not mainstream.

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2016 at 5:40am
Amazon sellers or ebay normally. Didn't actually know that Dodax have their own site. I've bought from them before. Will check their site out. I've bought a lot from All Your Music and zoverstocks as well. zover are a bit hit and miss on whether what they send is anywhere near the condition they listed since they seem to list everything as very good and only evaluate items after they've been sold (they've actually cancelled on me after paying twice now saying the item wasn't good enough to send after all, which pisses me off). In their defense when they do get something rare in they don't seem to whack the price up to ridiculous amounts the way other sellers do. I got quite a few hard to find Running Wild albums from them a few months back, for £8.25 each. 

Play.com merged with another company called Rakuten and became shit. Haven't bought from them in ages. Probably never will again. Sad.

I also found the site CD and LP recently (http://www.cdandlp.com/en/). They're a marketplace for independent sellers. I've seen some rarer stuff listed on there that other sites just don't have or want to charge the earth for. 

The actual record shop is a dying breed. Aside from HMV's in the nearby Chelmsford and Colchester town centre's (both of which aren't great but have actually been better in the last couple of years than they had been both in terms of selection and prices), we have a small shop in Sudbury which is only a short drive from the town I live in. They don't have much in the metal line though, just a few big names and maybe some newer releases if you're lucky. 

I did find a nice shop in Clacton last year which had a decent metal section. I picked up a couple of albums there. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2016 at 5:59am
^ Oh yes, all your Music are reliable and great on price though it usually takes around 3 weeks to come from the USA. Dodax are good on price but a bit slow on delivery. I suspect but can't confirm that this is because on Amazon the say they ship from the UK so ship in bulk to their Uk depot from Europe and post separately from there which would explain the average 14 to 20 days delivery. Only problem I sometimes have on their own website is they don't always make it clear what version you're buying with Cd's but can sometimes figure it out from bonus tracks etc.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2016 at 6:06am
I don't mind waiting when the price is good enough to justify it. 

I've had a few bad experiences with Amazon/ebay sellers too. I ordered an album from a 'Rock&PopCDVD' on Amazon on November 23rd, an Xmas present for my Dad. It didn't arrived until December 24th. The estimated delivery was December 2nd. For some reason they shipped the album from the US to Germany first (and also didn't ship it until December 1st), where it was relabeled and eventually reached us. By that time I had got it refunded (by Amazon, as I couldn't get a satisfactory response from the seller) and bought the album again from that little shop I mentioned in my last post. 

Had to repay for it just after Xmas due to it now being marked as delivered on the tracking (which stopped being updated on December 9th until December 23rd). Fortunately my Dad was able to swap the second copy I'd bought for something else. 

tl'dr, avoid Rock&PopCDVD. 
GG2U

Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2016 at 6:22am
Me too, I don't mind waiting if i'm saving a few quid. Also, especially with vinyl good solid packaging will encourage me to order from somewhere.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2016 at 10:36am
Just signed up to Dodax's own site and made a few purchases. The best deal was the upcoming Hexx boxset of their first two albums plus a bunch of bonus material for £14.99. I've been watching this set on ebay for a while direct from Metal Blade but they wanted £7 postage on it due to being based in Germany. 
GG2U

Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2016 at 11:47am
I usually buy my music from local music stores or from a site called Alibris. The local music stores around here actually have really good selections, and I even have a store dedicated to hard rock and metal nearby. If the local stores either don't have it or is to expensive, that's when I go to Alibirs. While the shipping prices could be better, the CD prices themselves are really good. I've found some pretty obscure stuff on there for cheap, such as Meliah Rage's "Kill to Survive".

On rare occasion I'll order from Discogs if all else fails, as they will often have the cheapest prices for obscure stuff or albums that for whatever reason aren't cheap.
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2016 at 1:11pm
By the way if anyone goes browsing on that CD and LP site I mentioned, use this referral link they gave me. You'll get a 7 Euro discount on your first order if you see anything you want..

GG2U

siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2016 at 2:58pm
The Bay Area is blessed with many used music stores. I hit them all to my bank account's chagrin. 
Unfortunately even the best used music stores in the world don't always have what you want when you want em so i have spent a lot of money on ImportCDs.com as well as Discogs, Music Stack and last resort Amazon or Ebay. Often some things are only available on small sites or from the artists themselves.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2016 at 8:07am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

By the way if anyone goes browsing on that CD and LP site I mentioned, use this referral link they gave me. You'll get a 7 Euro discount on your first order if you see anything you want..

Thanks for that, I'll check it out.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2016 at 1:48pm
Seems as good a place as any to put this...

If you're online buying do not use the Wow HD website. They are useless and IMO fraudulent. 

I have three CDs on order with them which were paid for by PayPal (in other words they were paid instantly). Wow HD have sent nothing off and take over a week to reply to a message, at which point they said they weren't getting the items in after all (yet still list them for sale) and had left my paid for order pending anyway. They said they'd cancel the order but did not refund the money - their exact words were not to worry, as because the order was not dispatched my credit card would not have been charged. As I paid by PayPal I obviously was charged already, a little fact that Wow HD doesn't seem to care about.

I now have to wait to the 26th to get my money back from PayPal due to their ridiculously long window for sellers to defend themselves against a buyer's claim. 

Do not use them!
GG2U

Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2016 at 4:29pm
^ I've come across similar problems with other sellers. An order from Speedyhen on ebay didn't show up and they said it would be 5 weeks before they get it back in stock yet they were still advertising as 2 in stock. I did get a refund but don't believe it was ever sent in the first place.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2016 at 7:23pm
^^Thanks for the warning, never heard of that site but now I know to never buy from them.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2016 at 12:17pm
I actually ended up writing a review on Wow HD for trustpilot I was that pissed off with them. The other reviews there are all negative too. The one that just went on today after mine is an even worse case though, they showed someone prices in Danish krone and then charged them in US dollars. That's the number of krone, not the exchange rate. They ended up with a bill about seven times as much as it should have been and like with me, won't give the money back. 

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/wowhd.co.uk/56cb3cae0000ff00093e0f01
GG2U

TheHeavyMetalCat View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Black and Death Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHeavyMetalCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2016 at 12:29pm
I nearly bought from them once. Glad I didn't now.

You know what we could do with somewhere around here? A listed of trusted online retailers.
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2016 at 10:04pm
Local record store, bandcamp, sometimes eBay if it hasn't been reissued in a while.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 4:41am
Originally posted by TheHeavyMetalCat TheHeavyMetalCat wrote:

I nearly bought from them once. Glad I didn't now.

You know what we could do with somewhere around here? A listed of trusted online retailers.

That's a good idea.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2016 at 4:36pm
Yeah, I do rather like that idea. We did actually start something like that on my old forum Heavy Metal Haven at one point. 

It'd be an on-going project of course and would be heavily reliant on people actually sharing their experiences, good and bad. I do think it would be a nice thing to have though as I've often not ordered something just because I didn't know the reputation of the site in question. Trustpilot only goes so far...I mean sites I've never had a problem with sometimes only have a yellow (average) reputation such as Amazon and Dodax either due to lack of reviews or just being rated down based on customer ignorance (one Amazon review I just saw gave them 1 star complaining about now being allowed to leave negative feedback, which isn't true, but their copy/paste job shows that they tried to leave negative feedback on the item review page which is a totally different system). I've taken the plunge on a couple of unknown's recently and not been let down whereas a company I thought would be fine have shafted me.

So yeah, I think such a list could be helpful so long as multiple members contribute to it. 
GG2U

Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2016 at 6:45pm
^I like the idea as well, and I could contribute to it.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2016 at 5:15am
Just thought I'd post a note here that I no longer have any faith in Dodax.co.uk.

Too much stuff bought from them in the last few months has never reached my door, including my recent order of Matthias Steele's Haunting Tales of a Warrior's Past CD, which I order from them three weeks ago and has still not arrived, and they apparently sent a second copy out ten days ago as well. Neither copy has made it here. I also order the Aquilus album from them and the first copy of that didn't get here either. The second (at least I presume it was the second) did, but still I don't think I'm ordering with them anymore with a delivery success rate of just 25%. My previous order of Scanner's Hypertrace also had to be replaced because it didn't arrive. 

This may be a problem more with the delivery service, but other sites stuff doesn't disappear en route as often as this. 
GG2U

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic