MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Views on Deicide

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Views on Deicide
    Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 8:39am
what is everyone's overall opinion on deicide?
do you like them? hate them? Why?

i currently have 4 albums of theirs on CD that my dad gave me. i have had them for a few years now and listened to a few tracks from each and thought oh this all sounds the same. the drumming is all the same and overly fast. 

i haven't listened to them in a few years and have recently gave them a try again and i think my opinion is changing of them. not sure yet what i think though. 

I will give legion a full listen and see what I think after that.

Vic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 9:30am
First three are great with the s/t debut being my favorite and way closer to my tastes (ie, the thrashier kind of death metal)
vmoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 9:36am
my fucking legion disc may have permanent damage idk yet.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 11:37am
Originally posted by Vic Vic wrote:

First three are great with the s/t debut being my favorite and way closer to my tastes (ie, the thrashier kind of death metal)
Same opinion here.
vmoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 7:47pm
what about after their 1st three
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2015 at 12:07am
Well, if you only stick to the first three, you miss Serpents of the Light! Incineratehymn and In Torment In Hell are a bit shit because all the songs are basically interchangeable. They're still Deicide, just a bit uninspired. I haven't bought any albums since, but the songs I've heard have been far better than what's on those two albums, because that was when the Hoffman brothers left the band.

When Satan Lives is a surprisingly good live album. You might not think Deicide would translate well to a live album, but it's pretty good.

Amon: Feasting The Beast is a collection of the band's demos. Basically, it's different versions of some of the songs on the debut album. I like it, but the quality is definitely down.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2015 at 12:12am
Deicide is a band I've known about for quite a while, but for whatever reason I've never gotten around to listening to them. I take it that it's a good idea to start from the beginning?
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2015 at 12:19am
Originally posted by Unitron Unitron wrote:

Deicide is a band I've known about for quite a while, but for whatever reason I've never gotten around to listening to them. I take it that it's a good idea to start from the beginning?

I would, yes. I started with the debut when it first came out. First four albums you basically can't go wrong.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2015 at 2:10am
^The debut was incredibly brutal and slightly different from what was on the scene in those days. I love that album, but to my ears they´ve never made anything that could match that album Again.
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2015 at 6:13am
I saw them live a couple of years ago, and it was one of the most hilarious yet inspiring death metal gigs I've been to. By the way, Mikael Åkerfeldt was in the crowd.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2015 at 10:49am
Originally posted by Time Signature Time Signature wrote:

I saw them live a couple of years ago, and it was one of the most hilarious yet inspiring death metal gigs I've been to. By the way, Mikael Åkerfeldt was in the crowd.

How was it hilarious, do they have a good sense of humor?

That's pretty cool, was he nearby you? Shocked
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2015 at 8:54pm
I actually think that their most recent album, In the Minds of Evil, is one of their best and wouldn't be a bad place to start. It's a bit more groove-oriented than their earlier stuff, so it feels fresh while still sounding unmistakably like Deicide. As others have mentioned, their first few albums are great too. Thumbs Up
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
vmoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2015 at 6:38am
This band is great idk why i couldn't get into them when i initially tried them 2 or 3 years ago
vmoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2015 at 5:48am
Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

Well, if you only stick to the first three, you miss Serpents of the Light! Incineratehymn and In Torment In Hell are a bit shit because all the songs are basically interchangeable. They're still Deicide, just a bit uninspired..
i actually quite enjoy incineratehym after only 2 listens. I can see why people may not like it. It is slower and less techical. That being said it is still well writen and very catchy. Also i didn't think at all that the songs were interchangeable. Every song stands out to me from one another
Wyvern_13 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wyvern_13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2015 at 2:26pm
It always seems like everyone only really enjoys the older stuff but I honestly much prefer the later era Deicide. To Hell With God and Scars of the Crucifix are probably my favorite albums.
Þessi undirskrift kemur málinu bara alls ekkert við!
Necrotica View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG, Death, Alt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2015 at 10:19pm
The Stench of Redemption is my favorite by far, because of the neo-classical elements and the fact that it sounds much less "samey" than Deicide's earlier records. I'm not the biggest fan of their "classic" era sadly. The riffing gets incredibly homogeneous after a while and the lyrics get really old 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image