Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Punk recommendations?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Punk recommendations?
    Posted: 11 Nov 2015 at 2:26am
I've gotten in a punk mood, and I've realized that I don't have much punk knowledge. I really enjoy early Offspring, Sex Pistols, The Ramones, Discourse, The Suicide Machines, Siouxsie and the Banshees, The Clash, Samhain, Dropkick Murphys, Flogging Molly, and early Green Day. That's about it as far as the bands I listen to go.

Do the fans of punk here have any recommendations of good punk bands, hardcore or otherwise? Smile

Edit: Forgot The Clash, Dropkick Murphys, Flogging Molly, and Samhain in my list. Also, been loving Black Flag!

Edited by Unitron - 12 Nov 2015 at 12:46am
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2015 at 2:49am
Depends a bit if that includes post hardcore, but I assume you´re more interested in more regular punk/hardcore.

A couple of omissions from your above list are The Exploited, Broken Bones, The Damned, and Discharge.

I can also highly recommend Dayglo Abortions. A personal favorite of mine is "Feed em a Fetus".
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2015 at 3:05am
There's a million and one good punk bands out there, but it's a very diverse grouping so it depends on what you're looking for. All the bands ready cited are excellent.
At the poppier and more well known end, early Jam and Buzzcocks (and Rezillos) were immense. Bpomtown Rats were boring aside from their singles imo.
The Clash is the big omission. The first is a classic and Give Em Enough Rope is excellent. The Sandanista triple is diverse and excellent. Crass too released some great stuff but often less heavy.
Stiff Little Fingers and early Stranglers are a must in your punk education, and then you have old school bands like the Angelic Upstarts. There's hundreds of good acts out there. Nu-punk bands like Green Day, Sum41 and their ilk are very different from the original wave though.and then of course tou have all tyhe proto-punk bands ...
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2015 at 3:07am
With apologies for the typos - done on a Blackberry!
vmoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2015 at 8:05am
i love bad religion. there's a recomendation
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2015 at 8:35am
Originally posted by vmoore vmoore wrote:

i love bad religion. there's a recomendation

I second that, although some of their releases in the late 90s/early 00s aren´t that interesting.
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2015 at 10:46am
Would this include post-punk, emo, post-hardcore as well? I'm not talking about Three Days Grace or Silverstein, but actual 80s/90s emo and post-hardcore. I would also consider Siouxsie and the Banshees as post-punk.

If not, here's some straight up punk/hardcore punk recommendations. My favorite is Minor Threat who is shares the title of most important hardcore punk band with Black Flag, whom I also recommend. The Damned is a great more traditional punk band who eventually went towards post-punk. Wire's first album could be considered punk, though it is ambitious punk. Their later stuff is more towards post-punk. Husker Du is another great one.

For modern stuff, you could check out Parquet Courts, particularly their first album (I love their second but it can be polarizing). Cloud Nothings is a band that incorporates a lot of melodicism. Iceage is one that mixes hardcore punk and post-punk without quite being post-hardcore. I would recommend all their albums but their second, You're Nothing is the the most relevant here. 

Edited by Polymorphia - 11 Nov 2015 at 2:47pm
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2015 at 11:20am
^I'm mostly interested in hardcore punk/regular punk rock, I'm not into much post-punk, and I have zero interest in emo or post-hardcore and I've never really associated that music with punk. 

Thanks for all the recommendations, I'll work through checking them out.

Edited by Unitron - 11 Nov 2015 at 11:22am
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2015 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by Unitron Unitron wrote:

I have zero interest in emo or post-hardcore and I've never really associated that music with punk. 
If you're thinking of Jimmy Eat World and Breaking Benjamin, we're on different wavelengths. Both genres were, at the start, simply extensions of hardcore punk. Emo is short for emotive hardcore punk and post-hardcore is post-hardcore punk. Several early emo and post-hardcore bands were formed from key players in the hardcore punk scene. Later on they veered away from punk, but listen to Rites of Spring or Fugazi or even take a look at their lineups and I think you'll see that the genres have everything to do with punk.

But they aren't straight up punk, so I get the exclusion, but this comment shows that there are maybe some great artists that you're missing out on.

Edited by Polymorphia - 11 Nov 2015 at 2:48pm
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2015 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

I have zero interest in emo or post-hardcore and I've never really associated that music with punk. 
If you're thinking of Jimmy Eat World and Breaking Benjamin, we're on different wavelengths. Both genres were, at the start, simply extensions of hardcore punk. Emo is short for emotive hardcore punk and post-hardcore is post-hardcore punk. Several early emo and post-hardcore bands were formed from key players in the hardcore punk scene. Later on they veered away from punk, but listen to Rites of Spring or Fugazi or even take a look at their lineups and I think you'll see that the genres have everything to do with punk.

But they aren't straight up punk, so I get the exclusion, but this comment shows that there are maybe some great artists that you're missing out on.

Thanks for giving a good description, it seems there is a lot more to it then I thought. When I'm finished listening to regular punk/hardcore I might like some recommendations.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2015 at 4:06pm

Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

Thanks for giving a good description, it seems there is a lot more to it then I thought. When I'm finished listening to regular punk/hardcore I might like some recommendations.
Thumbs Up
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2015 at 12:03am
My all time favourite punk band is NOFX.

Would also recommend Dead Kennedys, GBH (listening to them last night), Discharge, The Macc Lads, Poison Idea, Black Flag, Bad Brains (although they cover a number of genres), Anti-Nowhere League, The Cockney Rejects (before they went metal), Crying Nut (Korean punk), The Dickies, Diesel Boy (watch out because there's a crappy electronic act of the same name), Die Toten Hosen (German punk), Dropkick Murphys, The 4Skins (not nazis, despite the name), Gogol Bordello, Guttermouth, The Hard-Ons, Madball, Agnostic Front, Blood For Blood, Me First And The Gimme Gimmes (punk covers supergroup), No Use For A Name, The Vandals, Propagandhi, Rancid, Pennywise, Shelter (Hare Krishna punk), Sick Of It All, The Toy Dolls, The Misfits... Basically I've just been through my collection and picked out the punk bands!

And whoever mentioned Dayglo Abortions, most excellent!
TerryDactyl View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerryDactyl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2016 at 5:19am
When I think of punk recommendations I always think of The Velvet Underground and Stooges, and though I know those guys aren't really punk, they definitely are pointing the right direction (and so are the New York Dolls who have a glam metal feel and punk rock attitude.) But it seems this guy here wants straight up punk, hardcore punk, the kind of punk that, well, punks like.  So here's a few I like:  Propagandhi are cool and so are NOFX, I dig Rancid and absolutely love Social Distortion.  The Misfits are wonderful and those first couple T.S.O.L. records are mighty good, but watch out for their later work.  I really like The Dictators which featured Ross the Boss from Manowar, and The Dead Kennedy's "Plastic Surgery Disasters" still makes my spine happy after all these years.  While you're digging in punk you might want to give a spin to something like an X album or two (the first one is nice) and you can go very much more wrong than listening to "New Day Dawning" by Hüsker Dü.  Post punk is a ridiculously wide thing that encapsulates all sort of things that are terrible, but there's never anything terrible about listening to The Fall or PIL (who are so very hard to swallow!) Both the Dead Boys and Lords of the New Church (a great first album!) are led by semi-urban legend and John Waters actor Stiv Bators who totally rocks.  Also until you hear the song "Civilization's Dying" by The Dead Boys you haven't heard punk.  But to stay safe, just say dedicate some time to any of these bands and see who you like.  It gets weirder and weirder, punk does until it finally become something else.  I like it in most of its forms though the new stuff is a bit unpleasant.  And on this last note I will give my generic advice to anyone who will listen which  is not often:  If all else fails, listen to Chrome.
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Person Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2016 at 3:44pm
Lately I've been getting into more punk, my favorites so far have been bands like Propagandhi, Dystopia, and if you are interested in folk-punk, Pat the Bunny. I've also listened to some Rudimentary Peni and that was pretty fun too.
Necrotica View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG, Death, Alt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2016 at 2:35am
Bad Religion, The Exploited, Refused, At the Drive-In, Splendora, Big Black, Helmet (their early work is more hardcore-oriented), L7, Tijuana Sweetheart, Anti-Cimex, Discharge, Disclose, Turbonegro, The Bronx, Minor Threat, Against Me!, Supergrass (although they're more like a mix of Britpop and punk, they're absolutely fantastic), Dismemberment Plan (they combine indie rock, post-hardcore, and math rock), Urban Waste, Government Issue, Local H, Sleater-Kinney, Captain We're Sinking, The Dwarves, Botch, 7 Year Bitch, The Gits, and many more. I could go all day Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic