MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forgotten/Disliked albums that you love?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Forgotten/Disliked albums that you love?
    Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 2:39pm
I was just thinking about this, and I've noticed there are quite a few albums that are often forgotten or disliked from a band's output that for whatever reason I really like or love. Here's some that first come to my mind:

Helstar - Multiples of Black
This is not so much disliked as it is just forgotten. This is kind of an odd album in Helstar's discography, as it marked their transition from US Power to thrash, but it's not like the modern thrash of their recent albums. The production could be a bit better, but it has a lot of strong classic thrashers like the Anthrax-twinged 'No Second Chance (in the Angry City)', the catchy 'Will I Catch it Again' and 'When We Only Bleed', and the short but sweet 'Reality'.

Voivod - Negatron
I don't understand why this album doesn't get much attention, maybe it's because it was a return to a heavier sound. it's quite the big difference from 'The Outer Limits', as it's much heavier with absolutely crushing songs like 'Insect'.

Slayer - Divine Intervention
Another often forgotten album, that I find to be almost as amazing as the previous three Slayer albums. Has a similar sound to 'Seasons in the Abyss', with a few differences like in the song 'Serenity in Murder' where Araya sings with a bit more melody. 'Fictional Reality' is probably one of my favorite Slayer songs.

Tool - Undertow
Maybe it's because it's not as complex as their later albums, but this one seems to not get much attention. I've always enjoyed it, it's got some really enjoyable songs like 'Sober', 'Prison Sex', and my favorite 'Crawl Away'.

So, what are some forgotten and/or disliked albums that you have always really enjoyed for whatever reason? Smile
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 3:08pm
Let's see now. I'm quite fond these:

Iron Maiden - No Prayer for the Dying

People hate on Blaze's era, but this is usually rated lower than The X Factor. I think people just don't like that it feels regressive after the proggy albums before it. 

Helloween - Pink Bubbles Go Ape

I actually need to revisit this to see if my opinion has changed at all, but I've never found it half as bad as it's made out to be. I also find it ironic how people still go on and on about how Kiske is the classic Helloween singer yet half of his time in the band is slammed just as part as the other half is praised. 

Judas Priest - Ram it Down

Obviously not a JP classic like Painkiller, but I think this is still a pretty great album with several killer songs.

Nile - Ithyphallic

Before At the Gate of Sethu came out this one was usually ranked as the weakest Nile, but it's always been a favourite of mine. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Obviously not a JP classic like Painkiller, but I think this is still a pretty great album with several killer songs.

Nile - Ithyphallic

Before At the Gate of Sethu came out this one was usually ranked as the weakest Nile, but it's always been a favourite of mine. 

I really like Ram it Down as well, and that reminds me, I've always really liked 'Point of Entry' but it's often criticized for being 'commercial hard rock'. 'Desert Plains' is one of my favorite Priest songs. I really like that Nile album too, and I actually love 'At the Gates of Sethu'. 
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2015 at 8:29am
Originally posted by Unitron Unitron wrote:

Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Nile - Ithyphallic

I really like Ram it Down as well, and that reminds me, I've always really liked 'Point of Entry' but it's often criticized for being 'commercial hard rock'. 'Desert Plains' is one of my favorite Priest songs. I really like that Nile album too, and I actually love 'At the Gates of Sethu'. 

I like Point of Entry a lot. Ram it Down has got a few nice songs as well. I've never understood people's disappointment with them I may understand their disappointment with Turbo, but not these two.

I like quite a few albums that are often criticized by others:

Paradise Lost - Host
Whitesnake - Restless Heart
Iron Maiden - the X Factor
Metallica - Load/Reload (they are both uneven, that's true, but there are some songs on them I like a lot)
Queensryche - Hear in the Now Frontier and Tribe
Yes - 90125, Big Generator
Kansas - I like their 80s albums
Deep Purple - Abandon, Slaves & Masters
Dream Theater - Falling into Infinity, their debut album
Testament - The Ritual

and many others, I'll get back to it when I remember Big smile

Lynx33 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lynx33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2015 at 9:56am
Iron Maiden The X Factor
All that is over. Today, I know how to celebrate beauty.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic