MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >Just for Fun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Metal Up Your Ass and all that Jazz Room V2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 297298299300301 328>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 3.67  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
TheHeavyMetalCat View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Black and Death Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHeavyMetalCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 12:24pm
Ebay: Fun to buy on; nightmare to sell on.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 12:37pm
Only when something goes wrong. I've always found it rather easy otherwise and they've made real efforts for sellers during this pandemic. I mean sure, I've paid a total in fees in excess of £250 (and around £175 to PayPal) but I've also made, going into my pocket, nearly two and half grand. Far more than I'd get if I tried to sell the kind of stuff I usually sell at car boot sales like I used to maybe once every couple of years. I'm amazed by what people buy sometimes and even more so for what they'd pay for it. 

I do have a problem with buyers not paying though, or at least not paying in a timely manner. There always seem to be one (at least) every time I have a bunch of sales end at one time. I currently have three. One from two days ago which is about to have an unpaid case automatically trigger on it, one from yesterday and one from this afternoon which is one of those cases where the person is around to bid last second then fucks off when it comes time to pay. I've had no unpaid cases open in the last two weeks. Both did eventually pay, but to be honest at that point I almost wish they wouldn't. I always feel like a begrudging payer is a item not received case waiting to happen (and I don't sell stuff of a high enough value to warrant paying extra shipping for tracking). 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
TheHeavyMetalCat View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Black and Death Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHeavyMetalCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

I always feel like a begrudging payer is a item not received case waiting to happen (and I don't sell stuff of a high enough value to warrant paying extra shipping for tracking). 

That's exactly what happened to me!

I sold, on behalf of myself or my family, maybe 100 items on ebay in the past. For the sake of argument let's say it is 100.

Of those 100, 99 sales went smoothly. Didn't always get a feedback, but didn't get any comeback's either.

The 100th sale (well, one in a final batch) the buyer did not pay. I opened a case, and eventually they did pay. About two weeks later they claim item not received.

Out of 99 other items sold not one went missing in transit. But the one that went to the buyer I had to fight for payment from just happens to be the one that goes missing?

It's possible I suppose, but I smelt a rat.

Ebay sided with the buyer and I got an infraction. I tried to appeal, but was just told that ebay's hands were tied. It didn't matter because the buyer had previously had an unpaid case open for that item. It didn't matter how suspicious it looked. The buyer had paid eventually and that was all that mattered to ebay. My proof of postage was worthless because proof of posting is not proof of delivery. I also still had to pay my fees for the item.

I finished up my then current listings and have not sold on ebay since. Any dishonest buyer can game the system and get a freebie. Ebay will allow it.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 1:02pm
Yikes. 

I send anything bulky or of greater value tracked or at least signed for (not always worth the extra money because some posties don't bother with the signature - this is pre-Covid behaviour by the way). 

I used to send everything signed for but it was just eating into my profits too much for lower value items. It's a gamble now on anything not worth at least £20. For smaller things I haven't even been bothering with proof of postage since the pandemic got to the UK; I just drop them in the regular post box. Not worth the risk of queuing with people around. 

Of everything I've sold I've had one case of item being claimed not to be received and that was in suspicious circumstances too. The buyer waiting until the end of the time they had to file a claim. I would have thought if they'd really not received they'd have chased before then. Like you, I think they just gamed me for a freebie. 
GG2U

666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 3:42pm
As someone who's bought from Ebay and genuinely not received my purchase, it can happen. Your two cases sound dodgy though. But of course Ebay is a buyer's paradise. You should never sell anything you can't afford to lose on Ebay. There are so many ways a buyer can get something for nothing. 

A friend of mine listed a collection only lot some years ago. Stated cash on collection preferred in the description, but of course, he was obligated to accept PayPal. Buyer wins, pays PayPal, turns up and collects, everything fine. About a week later files not received claim and wins case. My friend did get his money back (they automatically refund without your say so, which sounds like it's what happened to you Ashley as well?), but only after a lengthy call to ebay customer services (which involved threats of legal action). So ultimately in this case it was ebay left out of pocket. I guess they can afford it, but it makes you wonder why their customer services staff just blindly side with the buyer no matter what. I mean it should be obvious that if a listing is collection only that it's not going to be posted.  
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 4:21pm
Just avoid Packlink delivery if you ever sell there. Learning the hard way today they're bloody useless when something goes wrong. Also just managed to really embarrass myself on their support form by mistakenly thinking they'd double charged me on the top of all this, thanks to PayPal's interface which is actually really unclear. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 11:28am
Last day working from home today! Ordered back to the office next week.

It's good to know that I can actually physically work from home if I need to, and that my internet will stand up to normal use. However, it's been 10 fucking weeks! Will be good to get out for a bit at least.

New Zealand hasn't had a new COVID case in two weeks, and there's only one active case still lingering on. It will be interesting to see if there's any sort of bounce, with things almost getting back to normal.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 12:14pm
Good to hear Patrick, I wish we were getting on top of it so well. We're close to 40K confirmed dead over here. 
GG2U

Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 3:57pm
^^  New Zealand has handled it so well. Wish I could say the same for our totally shambolic Government. 
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 6:43pm
Yeah, the government has done well. There's a lot of sympathy for you guys from this part of the world, because so much of our ancestry is British and Irish. It's frustrating we can't really do anything to help.

It gets a bit disheartening though, when you read stupid comments, mostly from the US and India, saying it's all because we're a small country with low population density, and a long way from anywhere else.

So I have stayed at home for the past 10 weeks for fun? The inconvenience of masks, constant hand washing, and social distancing did nothing? The massive testing campaign and quarantining didn't help? Funny, since exactly the same things worked well in Hong Kong, Singapore, and Taiwan.

And while they aren't quite the same size, obviously, Auckland has a higher population density than Los Angeles.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 9:39am
Both Johnson and Trump have been abysmal in their handling of the virus so it's hardly surprising that we're where we are now with number of cases and deaths. I'm expecting Brazil to be even worse as their leader (forgotten his name) seems to be in denial and doesn't seem to be hiding the fact that the economy is his no 1 priority. Things have been quiet on the news regarding India recently, unless I've missed it,  but I dread to think what it must be like there at the moment.

After all the good done by the lockdown we now have fucking idiots gathering in large groups to protest about the killing of George Floyd both here and the USA. I can see it all kicking off again big time.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 9:53am
What happened to George Floyd was appalling, but these protesters aren't thinking of what lives may lost - including black lives - if they spread the virus. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2020 at 12:54am
Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

Yeah, the government has done well. There's a lot of sympathy for you guys from this part of the world, because so much of our ancestry is British and Irish. It's frustrating we can't really do anything to help.

It gets a bit disheartening though, when you read stupid comments, mostly from the US and India, saying it's all because we're a small country with low population density, and a long way from anywhere else.

So I have stayed at home for the past 10 weeks for fun? The inconvenience of masks, constant hand washing, and social distancing did nothing? The massive testing campaign and quarantining didn't help? Funny, since exactly the same things worked well in Hong Kong, Singapore, and Taiwan.

And while they aren't quite the same size, obviously, Auckland has a higher population density than Los Angeles.

Just seen on the news that you're now completely Covid-19 free over there Patrick. Clap

One day I hope to be saying the same about us. I think it will be a while though. Our leadership will see to that. Ouch

My Dad has to go out today to the next (bigger) town to he optician as he's broken his glasses. I think inside Specsavers will be fine and measures will be in place to protect customers and staff, but it's getting there from the car park that's really bugging me over this. My Dad has been avoiding the local town as is so isn't what you'd say well practised at the social distancing. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2020 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

Just seen on the news that you're now completely Covid-19 free over there Patrick. Clap

One day I hope to be saying the same about us. I think it will be a while though. Our leadership will see to that. Ouch

My Dad has to go out today to the next (bigger) town to he optician as he's broken his glasses. I think inside Specsavers will be fine and measures will be in place to protect customers and staff, but it's getting there from the car park that's really bugging me over this. My Dad has been avoiding the local town as is so isn't what you'd say well practised at the social distancing. 

Yep. My missus had a nightmare time with her parents when they went out and about. Her Dad was a bit blind and couldn't tell how far away from people he was, and her mother, who is a bit agoraphobic at the best of times, basically focused on what she was doing, charging through people to get where she was going.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2020 at 12:20pm
So... got through working at home for 10 weeks. Get back to work this week. Turn on my computer last night, and just got beeps.Cry Talked to my IT professional brother and he says it's basically fucked. It didn't owe me much, seeing as I bought it in 2010. 

I just thought it was weird that it got me through all that time, and the big important push at the end which actually kept me employed, and then died just when I went back to work!

My bro is going to help me recover everything from the hard drive, so all is not lost.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 7:15am
Finally got the go ahead to start work again next week. Got used to this life and all the free time. Still plenty of jobs to do at home. If it wasn't for the money I wouldn't bother. 

Anyone else still waiting to go back or still having to work from home?
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 9:02am
Still working from home. Been no furloughing for me, unfortunately 😔
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 9:14am
^ Bummer. My Daughter's felt it having to keep going to work (NHS Radiographer) while I stay at home during all this shit.
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 9:29am
Fair play to her. She’s doing something meaningful in awful circumstances rather than the crap I can safely do from my home pc. I’ve huge admiration for what those in the NHS have had to do. And it doesn’t look like it’s going away any time soon either.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 10:20am
I´ve been on Work Again rather than working from home for maybe 6 weeks now. No problems at my end, but a lot of my colleagues are still working from home and won´t return until early August.

Edited by UMUR - 30 Jun 2020 at 10:20am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 297298299300301 328>
  Share Topic