MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >Just for Fun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Metal Up Your Ass and all that Jazz Room V2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 295296297298299 327>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 3.67  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 12:22am
Fuck Tesco.

Their latest brainwave for booking delivery/click and collect seems to be to have removed the queuing system in favour of a page that you have to keep manually refreshing every few seconds to try to even get onto the site. 

I could not get on last night to book my parents next slot at all. I stayed up to 12:30 but no dice. This ultimately resulted in my falling asleep at my desk, where I'd had my head propped up against one hand I descended further and further into the tedium of having to refresh a page constantly for about 45 minutes, my head slipping from where it was propped and crashing face first into my desk. 

So fuck Tesco. In these trying times why do they seem to be making things harder for everyone? I would try someone else but Asda never seems to have slots and Sainsburys and Ocado are now actually refusing new customers. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2020 at 12:45pm
Hearing reports that Kim Jung Un is dead. Or possibly in a vegetative state. 
GG2U

Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2020 at 12:58pm
Bloody hell. Guy is a psychopath but more uncertainty isn’t what we need at the moment.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 3:15pm
can anybody recommend me more black metal bands similar to Misþyrming?

chaotic, riffy and raw

Sinmara is the next closest thing I've found so far

Edited by Triceratopsoil - 26 Apr 2020 at 5:48pm
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 5:19am
I just completed a full reviewing of every Diabolic (including side projects Unholy Ghost and Blastmasters) release, and also every release in the Desultory discography (including the three demos). It took me a couple of weeks to get it done, and I´m quite satisfied with the result but I also feel a little empty now...

...oh well on to the next project Big smile

My backlog of written reviews waiting to be posted is so big right now though (we´re talking hundreds and hundreds of reviews), so it may take a few years before I´m able to post the Diabolic/Desultory reviews. The reviews I post now (unless they are of course of newer releases), were typically written several years ago. The downside to that is that they don´t feel fresh to me when I post them, but the upside is I´m forced to read them again and have a chance to make final edits before posting them.

Edited by UMUR - 29 Apr 2020 at 5:25am
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 7:20am
You’re super prolific. How long do you leave between posting reviews? I guess you need to stagger it to give members the chance to actually read them?
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 7:41am
Originally posted by Bosh66 Bosh66 wrote:

You’re super prolific. How long do you leave between posting reviews? I guess you need to stagger it to give members the chance to actually read them?

Exactly. First of all I´m trying not to push my own reviews from the frontpage (yeah I guess we all a bit vain and want our work exposed for a little longer than a few hours), secondly I try to respect other people´s work, and not push their reviews off the frontpage before they have been there for at least a day. And as you say, if you post too many reviews at a time, very few people will have the time and patience to read what I write, and that´s kinda the whole point isn´t it?

That´ll probably change the day we have many people writing and posting reviews, but it hasn´t happened yet. If someone like Mike or Unitron is super active for a period, I usually lay off posting completely for a few days, to allow people time to read their reviews.

As it is now I write far more reviews than I´m able to post, so my backlog just grows and grows. As I said that´s not all bad though, as it gives me a chance to do a quality check  a couple of years after the review has been written and make edits before posting the final review.
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 8:18am
Of course they’re still available if someone is checking out an artist. Perhaps on a quiet day you’re just going to have to post a hundred of them to get your backlog down to manageable levels?
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 8:41am

Of course they’re still available if someone is checking out an artist. Perhaps on a quiet day you’re just going to have to post a hundred of them to get your backlog down to manageable levels?

LOL yeah maybe.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 11:57am

That's what I did the day I joined, not realising how this place actually worked. Got all my reviews up though. I really wasn't too bothered who read them, because the situation I was in I just needed to get them somewhere to get them backed up!
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 4:17pm
With how few people there are writing on the main site at the moment, could probably dedicate a couple days for people to do just that and dump a full page worth of reviews on the site if they have it. That might be more complicated than it's worth though. LOL

Sometimes I get on a roll and just get inspired to write about a bunch of albums I know by heart, but usually I'm pretty slow when it comes to writing. Typically if I happen to be listening to something and feel like talking about the album/ep/whatever is when I do write at least something down. Usually don't end up finishing them for a while though, what I wrote on Slipknot's self-titled was sitting near-complete on my computer for probably a solid couple months until I finally finished it. 
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 5:09am
^I had a Gnaw Their Tongues review which took me two years to complete form I started listening to the album and wrote the first couple of words of the review. Wrote a sentence here and there. Then deleted a word, added a word, changed my opinion and so forth...

...it ended up being completed though Smile

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/review/spit-at-me-and-wreak-havoc-on-my-flesh/236721

If I had to put the critical eye on it today, it reads a bit too much like a fanboy review for my tastes, but I guess I´m allowed to get excited about something and completely lose objectivity once in a while LOL

Edited by UMUR - 30 Apr 2020 at 6:04am
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 5:48am
I've been writing a review for the new Opeth for months. Never seems to read right to me, it always feels too much like a justification piece for placing the album in Prog metal here when every other site rejects it as metal. 
GG2U

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 7:49am
I´ve rewritten my old PA reviews of the first two Zero Hour albums and a new review of their 1994 demo, which will be the next three reviews (of older releases) I post. I hope I did The Towers of Avarice justice. Listening to that album again after not having listened to it for a couple of years makes me realise that it´s probably one of the best technical/progressive metal albums I have yet encountered.

Edited by UMUR - 30 Apr 2020 at 7:49am
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2020 at 1:00pm
How's everyone doing out there this week? Have to say I've had some real down days recently as this lockdown continues, but we have our health in this household and as far as we know our family across the country and in the US are all OK. I hope the rest of you are managing to stay safe out there. 
GG2U

666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2020 at 3:07am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

How's everyone doing out there this week? Have to say I've had some real down days recently as this lockdown continues, but we have our health in this household and as far as we know our family across the country and in the US are all OK. I hope the rest of you are managing to stay safe out there. 

I believe I contracted it. I haven't been able to get a test, because my symptoms were on the milder side and I don't fall under priority testing groups, but I got the fever and cough. I feel a lot better than I did this time last week though. I have no fever any more and the cough is manageable, I just very extremely run down. 

My husband has had no symptoms but we've both had to stay completely self-isolated. Luckily we have been able to get food deliveries and friends have been very good dropping off the few bits we needed during the week on the doorstep. 

The worse part of this was not being ill itself, though that sucked, but telling my Dad over the phone that I was ill. The last time I heard my Dad cry like that was when my Mum died. 

I'm not sure how I got it (and I am sure it was Covid-19) because I've been being extremely careful. Maybe I touched my face while out shopping without thinking and didn't even realise I did it. So I suppose let this being a warning to everyone, you are not safe no matter how many precautions you take. It only takes one slip up. 
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2020 at 3:20am
Glad you're on the mend, Nicole.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2020 at 3:40am
Hope you soon feel 100% Nicole. 
GG2U

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2020 at 8:10am
Sounds like an unpleasant experience Nicole. Especially the part about your father. Thankfully it sounds like you got the mild version.

No trouble at my end recently and I was even to go out with the family for some entertainment in the weekend. My wife thought of a brilliant idea and took us to a drive in bio. The only thing was you had to bring your own candy and beverages, and there was no toilet LOL

...my wife and my kids are beginning to lose it, so wacthing a movie at the drive in bio was a bif of a lifesaver.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2020 at 1:48pm
Get well soon!

Apart from no work, nothing's really different from the usual for me. Should really use this time to go though the several movies I own that I've yet to watch.
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 295296297298299 327>
  Share Topic