MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >Just for Fun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Metal Up Your Ass and all that Jazz Room V2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 291292293294295 327>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 3.67  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 12:21pm
Hmm, never read any Peter May but have a few of his on my shelf that have been passed onto me, but this one feels very inappropriate to be releasing right now: 

This looks in such bad taste.
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

They do have a lot of staff off sick or self-isolating with family though. 

I was expecting a delivery today based on ebay estimate but it hasn't come. I haven't actually seen our postman for several days. I expect there's a staff shortage. Might be doing some routes some days, others other days. 

I do know that they have suspended the 1PM guaranteed service. 

Double what they'd normally have on the sick this time of year apparently. Our post is still coming every day at the moment though.

I ordered some stuff on Amazon today and estimated delivery date is 2nd May so probably not worth ordering anything else there for a while, especially if it's something you need in a hurry. That's free delivery though but even if I'd paid £4.95 it was still 30th April.

Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 12:31pm

Hmm, never read any Peter May but have a few of his on my shelf that have been passed onto me, but this one feels very inappropriate to be releasing right now: 

Don't think he's going to sell many copies of that at the moment. Very bad timing with the release date!
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

Don't think he's going to sell many copies of that at the moment. Very bad timing with the release date!

The best thing to do would be to shelve it for 6 months or more. That's really unfortunate, but I think releasing it now would give the guy such terrible publicity.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 2:07pm

Chuck Billy of Testament has the virus. I believe this is the first known case of Covid-19 in the metal scene unless anyone's heard otherwise. 

Chuck hasn't always been in the best health either. He had cancer about 20 years ago too, about the same time Chuck Schuldiner was on his way out.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 2:33am
Former Riot guitarist Louie Kouvaris has died of Covid-19 aged 65. He played on their debut album Rock City. 
GG2U

Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 3:35am
Sad news. Unfortunately I think we might hear of a few more yet in the metal world.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 4:07am
Not buying online is hard when companies choose right now to start tempting sales: Loads of collector's edition blu-ray on half price on Arrow Video, 2 for £25 on HMV Premium Collection blu-rays over there plus many other offers. Makes you wonder if they're trying to shift as much stock as possible before Royal Mail declares they're going to stop delivering (which seems to be on the cards based on an article I read this morning - mainly due to companies still handing over tons of junk mail to be delivered). 
GG2U

Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 4:16am
I'm still waiting for a couple of vinyl albums I ordered before all this really kicked. Hope they arrive before Royal Mail does stop delivering as I don't fancy them being left in a storage depot to warp for the next 2 month. 
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 4:49am
I hope that if they do stop they will at least deliver what they have, only stop taking in new deliveries. 

I currently have three blu-rays from ebay outstanding. The Arrow Video sale is tempting as always as they have a couple of old noirs on blu-ray that I haven't seen yet for £7.50 each, and I do love a bit of noir, but I think I'm going to hold back. 

Have to say though, I do want The Rise of Skywalker when it comes out in April because I've not seen it at all yet. Missed it in the cinema due to illness first and then two deaths in the family in January. Would like it on physical because of the collection but if push comes to shove I'll just have to buy it digital from Prime Video. Did that with Knives Out because the HD was £3 cheaper than the blu-ray disc. 

The thing is with ebay though that they have been actively encouraging all online trade to continue, even giving business sellers a stay on paying their fees, and for me that was a big factor in ordering these titles I am currently waiting for. Apart from essential shops that have to remain open, the online stores are the economy right now. Ebay has also called to attention that charity shops have an online presence and are still trading, when they can't in the high street now. There is some talk about RM delivering food, medical supplies and other essentials only though and we'd have to be selfish pricks not to be in support of that during this crisis. 
GG2U

Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 6:43am
You might be better ordering The Rise of Skywalker from Amazon as they usually use their own drivers but there's a hell of a wait there at the moment. Something i ordered is not expected until 2nd May which has kind of put me off ordering anything else. There's a few albums I want being released in April so not sure what to do about those yet. Might just have to wait until this all blows over.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 7:25am
It's because they are prioritising orders of items they deem to be essentials, to quote: 'food, health and personal care products and items needed to work from home.'

That said, every time I look at Amazon Pantry it has bugger all on it for sale. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 6:07am
I received two out of three of my outstanding ebay orders today. One on time, one early and the one that should have been here Saturday nowhere to be seen. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 5:30am
Rant time. I still don't think a lot of Brits are taking social distancing seriously. 

For starters, someone needs to inform cyclists that they're not exempt from social distancing just because they are riding on the road. Had one whip past me yesterday after having to make a quick trip out. Road was empty of cars, so the prick could easily have moved to the other side quite safely. No, he comes right by me, right next to the already thin pavement. Definitely not at least two metres apart. Angry Every pedestrian I encountered - no problem. One cyclist - social distancing regs broken. Actually really fuming over this. If I come down with Covid-19 symptoms in the next few days I know who I'm going to blame. Now also remember that this prick did this to everyone on foot along that stretch of road he passed me on and likely everywhere he went. And people still ask why does Covid-19 spread so much. Just praying that he didn't have it. 

Of course, there are others that are contributing to the problem beyond one arsehole cyclist. 

Don't get me started on fucking joggers (oh, too late). I think they are the most arrogant lot on the pavements in normal times. Wow betide you if you meet a jogger when you have to risk going out at the moment, because they still think it's up to you to give them their two metre social distance because they will not stop or alter their route for anyone. They just keep coming. 

Then there's those people who block the pavements to stop and take a bloody selfie! Know the roads are quiet now but come on! Saw one young woman (with kids) doing this yesterday along the start of our local river walk. Completely blocked the way. Then a jogger came along. He not social distance from any of them. Just kept going. 

We also still have prats going around trying to proclaim that this has all been blown out of proportion. I think it might be a kind of defence mechanism - they want someone to agree with them, to tell them that it's all some big joke. The sad fact is around 60000 dead worldwide says otherwise. Said prats are the worst at obeying social distancing; they keep trying to come up to you in the supermarkets to initiate conversation. You really just want to tell people to fuck off sometimes. 

Also I'm seriously worried as fuck about my best friend, whom I haven't been able to reach for over a week now. 

Rant over. Hope you all here on MMA are doing okay. Please do remember to check in with a post every once in a while, in any thread, so we know you're okay. We're a small community here and we do wonder what's happened to you when you suddenly stop posting at any time, but even more so right now. 
GG2U

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 8:06am
Thankfully nothing new has happened here, and no one I know (know well that is...) has been infected. I heard from one of my colleagues that a former colleague of ours is in intensive care on a ventilator though, and unfortunately he fits the profile for those in danger of dying, as he is 70 years old, has been smoking all his life, and has another chronic illness. I hope he pulls through. No one deserves to die such a horrible death...oh well...I can think of a few Evil Smile

Edited by UMUR - 04 Apr 2020 at 8:07am
666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 4:04am
I know a few people who claim to have it and are self-isolating (note that I say 'claim' - I don't know anyone who had been medically diagnosed with it). No one in my immediate family, for now. 

It's been a stressful time though. The panic buying does seem to be abating now but shopping is still a nightmare. Most places around here have marked out two metre social distancing lines but you always seem to get someone up ahead of you dillydallying over products (often with excessively handling, picking stuff up and then putting it back on the shelf!) and generally holding up the whole shop. That's if someone doesn't get impatient and start overtaking and invading your two metre space. Makes me want to shop online but I'd feel guilty taking up a click/collect or home delivery slot that someone more vulnerable than me could use. 
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 4:35am
Things generally seem OK around here. There is a rumour that there are cases in the village a few miles away from my town but how true they are is anyone's guess. It's definite in the village where my Aunt's farm shop is but I don't think the cases are serious ones requiring hospital. I haven't heard of one person definitely having it in my actual town. The son of my Mum's best friend who I mentioned before is on the mend, but having never had it confirmed either way. 

I went out for exercise yesterday. It was a mistake to try to go around the local river walk. It's about ten times as busy as usual and not everyone, yet again, obeyed social distancing. Parents down there were letting their kids run amok and again, cyclists and joggers were creating a problem for everyone. The river walk used to be my go to place to get some fresh air. Now I worry about ever going down there. It's actually safer to stick to the streets because you can at least cross the road to give someone else their space. 

Regarding shopping my family are doing OK for now. Since my parents are 70 and one's a diabetic we don't feel bad about using delivery or click and collect slots from Tesco. They're a bugger to get though. I have to stay up to midnight once a week to secure one and now they've introduced a queue system which makes that feel even more stressful. The trouble is with online shopping is that they still don't reserve the products you buy. We're expecting a delivery today which will be our third week of doing a main shop like this and I'm hoping it will be third time lucky for things like pasta and rice, because the last two times even though we have bought them while in stock they have been taken off the order by the time we get it. Other stuff is getting better but our reserves are running low of things like those. It also doesn't help that Tesco keeps outright removing products from their range which have been a staple of our weekly shop for years. 
GG2U

Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 5:14am
 We're still going to Tesco ourselves and you still can't get pasta easily. Last time I went they had one box with packets of spaghetti in so I grabbed one. 

My wife seems to have a bit of a cold at the moment which hopefully that's all it is. Did a bit of a search online and the general feeling is you don't need to self-isolate for blocked and runny noses etc if that's all you have. I have heard though that sometimes people do get those symptoms as well.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 7:11am
The virus has non-specific symptoms which the UK at least hasn't always been clear about. I was using the NHS page on the virus as a guide over what to look out for but it's since emerged through testimonies from people who've tested positive that it can manifest as a cold. Something the NHS page did not say. Not everyone even gets the fever which is supposed to be the main symptom. 

I had a cold a few weeks ago. I think it was just a cold but how can I be sure? There's so much uncertainty. I certainly didn't self-isolate and probably should have done just in case but in my defence at the time I had no symptoms that the NHS themselves associated with Covid-19. 

Hay fever season also really complicates matters right now. Any mild suffers might put it down to allergies and not self-isolate, but if they are wrong the virus will continue to spread. 

Also just read that we could be facing stricter lockdown rules in the UK because surprise surprise, Brits are still ignoring the current ones. 

Edited by adg211288 - 05 Apr 2020 at 8:15am
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 3:31pm

So apparently he wrote this about 15 years ago and his publishers wouldn't touch it, deeming the idea of a lockdown unrealistic. Ermm

Still think it's kind of in bad taste and feels like an I told You So release now too, but I guess I can't blame him for getting something he spent time writing published. and I guess it may prove popular, after all Contagion has become one of the world's most watched films since this started. Personally I think it's the last film I want to watch right now. 
GG2U

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 291292293294295 327>
  Share Topic