MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >Just for Fun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Metal Up Your Ass and all that Jazz Room V2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 290291292293294 327>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 3.67  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
TheHeavyMetalCat View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Black and Death Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHeavyMetalCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2020 at 8:11am
Originally posted by bartosso bartosso wrote:

I see you're talking about some health related issue? A virus, correct? 

Please tell me you're trying to (somehow) be funny and are not genuinely unaware of the worldwide pandemic currently happening that has infected almost 400000 people and claimed the lives of over 17000?
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2020 at 9:49am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Has your garage got a website where updates might be posted? Or a Facebook page? 

Personally I'd assume they won't be open. 

They were open as it turned out. For maintenance etc but not car sales of course. 
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 9:49am
Going to vent a bit here:

The son of my Mum's best friend, who I don't personally know but I do know his mother quite well, is very ill right now with Covid-19 symptoms, including fever. Might not be Covid-19, but all the signs are there and he does not seem to be getting any better. He is self-isolating, but obviously needs medial attention.

He can't get a test for it. He's that bad that if it is Covid-19 (the man works as a delivery driver so has to travel a lot for work), he should very likely be in hospital. The 111 line you're supposed to phone? Bloody useless apparently. 

And yet Prince Charles can display only minor symptoms and get a test. He's got it, for those that haven't heard, so it is a good thing he has been tested, but it just proves that getting a test for the virus is all about who you are. The rest of us are fucked. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 10:29am
That's awful. I've read similar things online about these needing to get tested. They seem to test so many a day but where they actually are I don't know. Mainly in London and those already in hospitals I guess. 

Let's just hope it isn't Covid-19. 
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 2:59pm
^^ if he's that ill that he needs to be in hospital maybe they should call 999? 

The Royal Family are always going to get the best medical care. Bet prince Philip wouldn't have lasted as long as he has if he wasn't Royalty. 
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHeavyMetalCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 5:05pm

An ethical question I'd like to bounce off you all.

Many online businesses are still trading, including private sellers on ebay. The Royal Mail is still running albeit at a reduced capacity and has vowed to continue to do so.

I buy things on ebay, Amazon and other sites quite regularly and did so this morning without even thinking about it. Habit. See a bargain, click buy before someone else gets it. I'm a very impulsive ebayer.

Now I'm questioning whether buying something online in these times, except for essentials, is selfish (in this case it was a CD on ebay). Buying something online means someone has to leave their home and go to the Post Office. It means Royal Mail employees have to sort that package and deliver it.

But on the flipside, both business and private sellers still trading might be relying on the money from sales for income. The Royal Mail also has to be paid. It keeps the economy moving in a small way. And our economy looks grim right now with so many high street businesses forced to close for public safety.

There's also the fact that if something is available to buy, if you don't buy it, someone else will. Any guilt you may personally feel is shifted (perhaps to someone who won't even ask these questions), but the end result for the seller and the Royal Mail is the same. So nothing changes, except you personally lost out on something new to keep you entertained during lockdown.

So my question is this, excluding essentials you may be able to order online (seems less likely with sites like ebay banning the sale of things like hand gel), will you continue to buy things online while they are available to be bought, or will you restrain yourself and make do with what you already have/streaming?

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 5:35pm
It's a fair question Ashley and one I've been asking myself as well. I've also purchased on ebay since the lockdown went into effect (one essential, the rest not) and have wondered if I shouldn't have done. It's early days for us all living in these conditions and some habits are hard to break, especially if others provide the means for you to buy something non-essential through ebay or other online outlet. 

Regarding the sellers themselves I'm working on the assumption that if they list it, they want someone to buy it and count taking it down the Post Office as work related travel, so whether you buy it or leave it for someone else is irrelevant, as you suggest yourself. The seller is the one who enables the sale. Ethically I'd say they are the one responsible for setting that wheel in motion. 

Personally I removed all my active listings from ebay before the full lockdown went into effect, because I wasn't willing to make those trips out. But there are extra precautions sellers can take on top of social distancing. Such as saving any sales for one trip a week. People will have to live with extra long dispatch and delivery times. That said I hope the cat food I've ordered arrives tomorrow. Because there's hardly any in the shops around here. 

It is worth pointing out that in any Post Office I've seen the staff are behind a window, which will help to protect them during this outbreak. The Royal Mail has also been saying all along that the virus does not survive for long on parcels and letters. And the Postie who ultimately delivers it will still have to take the same route that day and risk running into the same people. If you're only ordered a CD that will go through your letterbox, no human contact required. 

Ultimately until the Royal Mail asks us otherwise or the PM shuts it down, it's probably OK to buy whatever you want on ebay or other site. HMV, I know, are still trading online and they use the Royal Mail and obviously don't sell essentials. If they stop trading completely it's probably a sign that everyone should stop with such things. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 7:23pm
I hadn't considered someone having to take something to the post office in this situation. We have rural delivery, which means the post man (my uncle, coincidentally!) picks it up from the mail box. I forgot what urban dwellers have to do with postal items!

I don't buy much stuff online, but I did just order my car registration on Wednesday, which is a plastic card, and it should arrive shortly.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 12:30am
For those in the UK, do keep checking what Royal Mail says on the following page if you're concerned: https://www.royalmail.com/coronavirus
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHeavyMetalCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 7:15am

It's a fair question Ashley and one I've been asking myself as well. I've also purchased on ebay since the lockdown went into effect (one essential, the rest not) and have wondered if I shouldn't have done. It's early days for us all living in these conditions and some habits are hard to break, especially if others provide the means for you to buy something non-essential through ebay or other online outlet. 

Regarding the sellers themselves I'm working on the assumption that if they list it, they want someone to buy it and count taking it down the Post Office as work related travel, so whether you buy it or leave it for someone else is irrelevant, as you suggest yourself. The seller is the one who enables the sale. Ethically I'd say they are the one responsible for setting that wheel in motion. 

Personally I removed all my active listings from ebay before the full lockdown went into effect, because I wasn't willing to make those trips out. But there are extra precautions sellers can take on top of social distancing. Such as saving any sales for one trip a week. People will have to live with extra long dispatch and delivery times. That said I hope the cat food I've ordered arrives tomorrow. Because there's hardly any in the shops around here. 

It is worth pointing out that in any Post Office I've seen the staff are behind a window, which will help to protect them during this outbreak. The Royal Mail has also been saying all along that the virus does not survive for long on parcels and letters. And the Postie who ultimately delivers it will still have to take the same route that day and risk running into the same people. If you're only ordered a CD that will go through your letterbox, no human contact required. 

Ultimately until the Royal Mail asks us otherwise or the PM shuts it down, it's probably OK to buy whatever you want on ebay or other site. HMV, I know, are still trading online and they use the Royal Mail and obviously don't sell essentials. If they stop trading completely it's probably a sign that everyone should stop with such things. 

Thanks Adam, that does help. I'll keep an eye out for new annoucements.

Might have to make the leap to full digital. That bothers no one else.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 8:11am
Boris Johnson has tested positive for Covid-19. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 11:42am
Ah God damn it the cat food finally arrived just after 5PM and it's wrong. Ordered the poultry pack and they sent a mixed pack that is half fish. My cat is a fussy little thing and won't eat the fish packets. Angry
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 4:29pm
Never mind... You can always heat up the fish ones yourself if you get really desperate...Wink

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 4:35pm
Chuck Billy of Testament has the virus. I believe this is the first known case of Covid-19 in the metal scene unless anyone's heard otherwise. 
GG2U

LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 6:05pm

Chuck Billy of Testament has the virus. I believe this is the first known case of Covid-19 in the metal scene unless anyone's heard otherwise. 

Rammstein vocalist has it, too. Unhappy

Hope both get healthy and overcome this.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 2:08am
^ Apparently that was misreported but he was in intensive care for a night for something else, which he has now been released from. 
GG2U

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 5:05am
If you check out Blabbermouth news, there are quite few musicians who have now tested positive. Death Angel´s drummer is on a ventilator in an intensive care unit, which Means it´s pretty damn serious for him. The tour package of Testament, Exodus, and Death Angel have just returned from a Europe tour, and many of the musicians and crew are showing symptoms. Now I´m glad I didn´t go to the show a month a go, when they hit Copenhagen...
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 8:07am
^ Shit, those 3 bands on tour including the crew would have been in pretty close contact. Hope they all pull through, especially DA's drummer who like you say sounds in a bad way.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 8:16am
Originally posted by TheHeavyMetalCat TheHeavyMetalCat wrote:

An ethical question I'd like to bounce off you all.

Many online businesses are still trading, including private sellers on ebay. The Royal Mail is still running albeit at a reduced capacity and has vowed to continue to do so.

I buy things on ebay, Amazon and other sites quite regularly and did so this morning without even thinking about it. Habit. See a bargain, click buy before someone else gets it. I'm a very impulsive ebayer.

Now I'm questioning whether buying something online in these times, except for essentials, is selfish (in this case it was a CD on ebay). Buying something online means someone has to leave their home and go to the Post Office. It means Royal Mail employees have to sort that package and deliver it.

But on the flipside, both business and private sellers still trading might be relying on the money from sales for income. The Royal Mail also has to be paid. It keeps the economy moving in a small way. And our economy looks grim right now with so many high street businesses forced to close for public safety.

There's also the fact that if something is available to buy, if you don't buy it, someone else will. Any guilt you may personally feel is shifted (perhaps to someone who won't even ask these questions), but the end result for the seller and the Royal Mail is the same. So nothing changes, except you personally lost out on something new to keep you entertained during lockdown.

So my question is this, excluding essentials you may be able to order online (seems less likely with sites like ebay banning the sale of things like hand gel), will you continue to buy things online while they are available to be bought, or will you restrain yourself and make do with what you already have/streaming?

The Royal Mail seem to be delivering more or less as normal according to their website, even that junk mail that comes addressed to the occupier which I would have said is pretty unimportant. I did think about what you're asking myself and I haven't ordered anything since this really kicked off big time but I guess I would still as long as people are willing to deliver it. If they asked us not to order non-essential items I'd abide by it but these companies also need our support I guess. I will try to order stuff together rather than just one item though.

Edited by Nightfly - 28 Mar 2020 at 8:17am
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 8:53am
They do have a lot of staff off sick or self-isolating with family though. 

I was expecting a delivery today based on ebay estimate but it hasn't come. I haven't actually seen our postman for several days. I expect there's a staff shortage. Might be doing some routes some days, others other days. 

I do know that they have suspended the 1PM guaranteed service. 
GG2U

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 290291292293294 327>
  Share Topic