MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

When did Metal become your life?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: At what age did you "go metal"?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [33.33%]
1 [6.67%]
2 [13.33%]
2 [13.33%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [20.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [13.33%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2015 at 9:25am
I like musicals, too. Cats it a bit cheesy. I saw it more than 20 years go too, and I'm still traumatized by the fact that their full-body leotards were so tight that you could see up their buttholes. I like The Phantom of the Opera which I've seen a couple of times, and my girlfriend has a collection of musicals on DVD which we watch every now and then.

As for metal, metal is not my life. It is an important part of my life, but there's more to my life than just metal.
Necrotica View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG, Death, Alt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2015 at 9:39pm
I wouldn't say metal is my life because of how many other genres I enjoy, but I got into metal around 10 or 11 years old when I first listened to Sound of Perseverance by Death. I was instantly hooked by the intensity and complexity, and death metal and prog metal ended up being my two favorite genres for a long time. Smile What's funny is that most people get into metal with bands like Iron Maiden and Metallica, but I actually started with extreme metal and worked my way backwards to classic and alternative metal instead of the other way around. 
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2015 at 2:09am
^Yeah that probably is a bit unusual.
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2015 at 6:05am
Originally posted by Necrotica Necrotica wrote:

I wouldn't say metal is my life because of how many other genres I enjoy, but I got into metal around 10 or 11 years old when I first listened to Sound of Perseverance by Death. I was instantly hooked by the intensity and complexity, and death metal and prog metal ended up being my two favorite genres for a long time. Smile What's funny is that most people get into metal with bands like Iron Maiden and Metallica, but I actually started with extreme metal and worked my way backwards to classic and alternative metal instead of the other way around. 
The Curious Case of Necrotica :)
Necrotica View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG, Death, Alt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2015 at 10:01am
I'm certainly a unique snowflake Tongue
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2015 at 9:38am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

On estimate I guess 17, possibly 16, was the point where I really started to branch out with the kind of metal I listened to. That would be sometime between 2005 - 2006. We did not have the Internet in my house until my mid to late teens. Before that my exposure to metal was limited to the odd band that did make it fairly big and happened to release an album in the time I was discovering music (Metallica was the first actual metal band I owned something by) and the sort of stuff that they were playing on Kerrang and Scuzz on Sky TV. I would sometimes read about more obscure bands in Metal Hammer but rarely got an opportunity to really check them out, beyond the odd track featured on their freebies. My first exposure to extreme metal came earlier through the Arch Enemy song Silent Wars which was featured on a Total Guitar CD, but I lacked the means to explore further at the time. My parents had a pretty negative reaction to growled vocals by the way. LOL

Getting the Internet changed all of that. I remember many evenings sat using that old PC on dial up AOL Internet looking up bands on YouTube. It all took off from there. I stopped regularly listening to a lot of the music I'd bought before that point. By the end of 2006 I'd discovered Iron Maiden and they were also my first gig, December 23rd at Earls Court in London. By 2007 I'd discovered my first power, prog and black metal acts. Eventually I did discover that I enjoyed other genres too, particularly folk and ambient music, but I owe those discoveries to metal thanks to side-projects in those styles. Couldn't live without metal now. 

I made a (re)discovery recently that sorts of puts my becoming a metalhead in a new light. Better start this story from the beginning.

I currently have a free trial of Amazon Prime, which includes instant video streaming. While browsing this week I stumbled by chance on a more recent iteration of the children's TV show Power Rangers. Power Rangers was easily my favourite series as a child, though I only gave the newer series a passing glance in the listings with a thought along the lines of 'wow that's still going?'

Later I passed by the original series in the Amazon prime listings as well. I'm pretty big of childhood nostalgia so said what the hell and fired up the first episode, with no expectations except to laugh at how bad it looks now and then move on after a minute or two. 

I never got into the episode proper as the theme music struck me first. It was of course toned down somewhat in production terms and the vocals were pretty unoffensive but what I was hearing was clearly metal. A bit of research later and I discovered that the composer was one Ron Wasseman, who released the music on CD and re-did a version of it in 2012. Being about Power Rangers, it's of course cheesy as hell, though I did listen today to the instrumental cut to see if it really was valid for MMA inclusion. It's metal credentials really show without the vocals and Power Ranger themes to detract from it (I added him a little while ago).

I'd forgotten about most of what Power rangers was about by the time of my experiences described in my quoted post, especially the music, but it does seem that I was in fact being exposed to metal much earlier than I realised. Not sure how much of a subtle effect that may have had on my tastes (I was never interested in other music I heard between these times though), but I thought I'd share this little story. If nothing else, it's actually kinda cool to find out that my favourite show from childhood was flying the flag for metal even if I didn't know what it was at the time. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2015 at 1:03pm
Tongue Cool story! 

And of course Bryan May and Eddie Van Halen did a cover (not original) of the Japanese puppet sci-fi show Starfleet, which is pretty cool.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2015 at 6:07pm

On estimate I guess 17, possibly 16, was the point where I really started to branch out with the kind of metal I listened to. That would be sometime between 2005 - 2006. We did not have the Internet in my house until my mid to late teens. Before that my exposure to metal was limited to the odd band that did make it fairly big and happened to release an album in the time I was discovering music (Metallica was the first actual metal band I owned something by) and the sort of stuff that they were playing on Kerrang and Scuzz on Sky TV. I would sometimes read about more obscure bands in Metal Hammer but rarely got an opportunity to really check them out, beyond the odd track featured on their freebies. My first exposure to extreme metal came earlier through the Arch Enemy song Silent Wars which was featured on a Total Guitar CD, but I lacked the means to explore further at the time. My parents had a pretty negative reaction to growled vocals by the way. LOL

Getting the Internet changed all of that. I remember many evenings sat using that old PC on dial up AOL Internet looking up bands on YouTube. It all took off from there. I stopped regularly listening to a lot of the music I'd bought before that point. By the end of 2006 I'd discovered Iron Maiden and they were also my first gig, December 23rd at Earls Court in London. By 2007 I'd discovered my first power, prog and black metal acts. Eventually I did discover that I enjoyed other genres too, particularly folk and ambient music, but I owe those discoveries to metal thanks to side-projects in those styles. Couldn't live without metal now. 

I made a (re)discovery recently that sorts of puts my becoming a metalhead in a new light. Better start this story from the beginning.

I currently have a free trial of Amazon Prime, which includes instant video streaming. While browsing this week I stumbled by chance on a more recent iteration of the children's TV show Power Rangers. Power Rangers was easily my favourite series as a child, though I only gave the newer series a passing glance in the listings with a thought along the lines of 'wow that's still going?'

Later I passed by the original series in the Amazon prime listings as well. I'm pretty big of childhood nostalgia so said what the hell and fired up the first episode, with no expectations except to laugh at how bad it looks now and then move on after a minute or two. 

I never got into the episode proper as the theme music struck me first. It was of course toned down somewhat in production terms and the vocals were pretty unoffensive but what I was hearing was clearly metal. A bit of research later and I discovered that the composer was one Ron Wasseman, who released the music on CD and re-did a version of it in 2012. Being about Power Rangers, it's of course cheesy as hell, though I did listen today to the instrumental cut to see if it really was valid for MMA inclusion. It's metal credentials really show without the vocals and Power Ranger themes to detract from it (I added him a little while ago).

I'd forgotten about most of what Power rangers was about by the time of my experiences described in my quoted post, especially the music, but it does seem that I was in fact being exposed to metal much earlier than I realised. Not sure how much of a subtle effect that may have had on my tastes (I was never interested in other music I heard between these times though), but I thought I'd share this little story. If nothing else, it's actually kinda cool to find out that my favourite show from childhood was flying the flag for metal even if I didn't know what it was at the time. 

I had to review a bloody awful emo album once by some shitty band (might have been Fei Comodo, might not) whose previous claim to fame was an emo version of the Power Rangers theme song called "Mighty Moshing Emo Rangers" or something equally as shit. Don't know the Power Rangers theme, but sounds like it would be awful...
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2015 at 1:13am
I'm sure the original isn't as bad as some emo version of it. Tongue

Here, some samples (instrumental, you can decide afterwards if you want to brave the vocal versions):

Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2015 at 3:32pm
Here's the one I was thinking of. Please don't hold me responsible for destroying any fond memories from your childhood if you play this... Wink

I'm a bit old to have caught Power Rangers when I was a kid, but my stepson got banned from playing Power Rangers at school because the kids were all trying out karate moves on each other.LOL It must have rubbed off on him a bit, because he's a kick boxer and into MMA and stuff now.
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2015 at 2:34am
Shit, I have always been metal. Since the Power Rangers theme LOL

Edited by ProgMetaller2112 - 27 Sep 2015 at 2:35am
"Before you see the light you must die!!!!!!!!!!" - Slayer

"Today is born the seventh one, born of woman, the seventh son" - Steve Harris
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic