MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

When did Metal become your life?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: At what age did you "go metal"?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [33.33%]
1 [6.67%]
2 [13.33%]
2 [13.33%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [20.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [13.33%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: When did Metal become your life?
    Posted: 05 Sep 2015 at 2:13am
I was just thinking about this today. I've been into metal since I was 12 or 13, but the age at which it became more than just music was 17 (late 1989 and into 1990). That was when I stopped listening to pop and almost exclusively went metal and punk. It's when I started wearing black jeans and black t-shirts. It's when I first tried to grow my hair long. It's when I obsessively started buying metal magazines. It's when I went to my first metal gig (The Asylum and Suffocation- not the famous one!).

To paraphrase Manowar, it's when metal became my religion, which I shall take to the grave. 

It also happened to be the year I went to university, and I had freedom to do what I liked for the first time (which might explain why I only passed one course that yearEmbarrassed). It's when I discovered so many great bands- Slayer, Exodus, Dark Angel, Bathory, Death Angel, Obituary, Bolt Thrower, Faith No More, Sodom,  Sepultura, Annihilator, Entombed...

Anyone else have such an age/year like that?
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2015 at 3:03am
On estimate I guess 17, possibly 16, was the point where I really started to branch out with the kind of metal I listened to. That would be sometime between 2005 - 2006. We did not have the Internet in my house until my mid to late teens. Before that my exposure to metal was limited to the odd band that did make it fairly big and happened to release an album in the time I was discovering music (Metallica was the first actual metal band I owned something by) and the sort of stuff that they were playing on Kerrang and Scuzz on Sky TV. I would sometimes read about more obscure bands in Metal Hammer but rarely got an opportunity to really check them out, beyond the odd track featured on their freebies. My first exposure to extreme metal came earlier through the Arch Enemy song Silent Wars which was featured on a Total Guitar CD, but I lacked the means to explore further at the time. My parents had a pretty negative reaction to growled vocals by the way. LOL

Getting the Internet changed all of that. I remember many evenings sat using that old PC on dial up AOL Internet looking up bands on YouTube. It all took off from there. I stopped regularly listening to a lot of the music I'd bought before that point. By the end of 2006 I'd discovered Iron Maiden and they were also my first gig, December 23rd at Earls Court in London. By 2007 I'd discovered my first power, prog and black metal acts. Eventually I did discover that I enjoyed other genres too, particularly folk and ambient music, but I owe those discoveries to metal thanks to side-projects in those styles. Couldn't live without metal now. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2015 at 3:24am
Well I was so fortunate to be indoctrinated by my older Brother, so I don´t think I was more than 11 or 12 years old when Iron Maiden, Metallica, Kreator, Slayer, Danzig, Misfits, The Exploited, and whatever else my Brother was playing, became a big part of my life. It started out a bit softer with Bon Jovi, Europe, Twisted Sister, and Kiss, but that was a pretty short phase. Both my Brother and I soon craved much more raw and aggressive music Angry.

Both me and my Brother went to a catholic school, and boy did they look on in terror when we started going to school with our Slayer and Metallica patches and T-shirts. I especially remember my horrid German teacher, who was a TRUE catholic (she had around a hundred children or something like that) talking about the devil´s influence and similar speeches LOL

Edited by UMUR - 05 Sep 2015 at 3:27am
Kingcrimsonprog View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingcrimsonprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2015 at 12:33pm
Yeah, I think 12. It was around a little before then, but it took over once I hit high school.

My Blog: http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2015 at 3:23pm
I'd say 14 was when I started listening to mostly metal and I knew I couldn't live without it. I started getting many band t-shirts, started using my money for mostly metal albums, and probably started annoying some of my friends with how much I talk about it. LOL

I've listened to metal all my life, but as I said, I really didn't branch out and start discovering things myself until I was 14. 

Long live heavy metal! 
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
Dobbie03 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dobbie03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2015 at 3:39pm
I was about 15 going on 16.  I was a huge Pink Floyd and Queen fan then I discovered Powerslave by Maiden and And Justice For All.  Those two albums changed my life.
Be excellent to each other.
666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2015 at 3:57pm
I had a young start too, thanks to my Dad. He's always been into his hard rock and heavy metal, so it was always around in my childhood. I guess I was around 11 or 12 when I first starting taking an interest in the music he was listening to. He started me with Iron Maiden. It all took off from there. He also introduced me to progressive rock bands like Yes, though I found more appreciation for those a bit later.

Most of my little group of friends weren't really interest in it but my best friend was. We spent a lot of time going through Dad's vinyl collection, taking pot luck. Getting the internet allowed us to find a lot more music through, stuff my Dad never heard of. Eventually we were the ones introducing him to bands. We still lend him stuff we've bought once we've played it a few times. My step-mother hates it whenever I pass something onto my Dad to try. I'm sure she'd erase metal from existence if she could.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2015 at 7:25pm
My missus wasn't too keen on some of the stuff I gave my stepson sometimes, but it's a bit late now.Smile I managed to wean him off the evils of nu-metal and on to stuff like Slayer and Napalm Death. He's now quite interested in melodic death metal. Win some, lose some...Confused
Dobbie03 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dobbie03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2015 at 12:48am
My wife is not a fan of what I listen too, unfortunately for her my eldest is well on the way to following in his old man's footsteps.  At least she has our youngest boy who loves that dance shit.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2015 at 2:27am

My parents never understood the music me and my Brother listened to, but they never forbade us to listen to anything. Just asked us to close the door LOL. My late grandmother was pretty cool about it actually. Not that I think she ever fully understood the music, but she once went to a metal record store in Copenhagen (which is of course long gone, along with the rest of the record stores), and purchased Butchered at Birth by Cannibal Corpse and Acts of the Unspeakable by Autopsy for my Christmas present...is that a cool grandma or what? Big smile

Family wise me and my Brother has indoctrinated his eldest son to become a metal fan, and we had him with us to the Copenhell 2015 festival, which he enjoyed a lot. My own children hasn´t shown an interest in metal yet. I´ll keep trying though LOL.
Dobbie03 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dobbie03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2015 at 2:41am
What a cool Nanna!!

I don't pressure my children, they like what they like.  As long as they love music I am happy.  I'm just lucky with my boy Jakob.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2015 at 2:52am
Yeah I didn´t mean indoctrinated in the original and more negative sense of the Word (I just used the Word as a kind of humurous approach to describing the situation), just more an influence type of introduction to metal over the years Tongue.
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2015 at 2:56am
I wished I knew the secret to brainwashing kids Big smile. My two eldest are mainly into indie pop shite. My youngest is the one showing interest in hard rock and metal. I'm trying to gently encourage further exploration rather than throw it down his neck and put him off. I've already lost two kids to the dark side and don't want to lose my third too Wink
Dobbie03 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dobbie03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2015 at 3:09am
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

Yeah I didn´t mean indoctrinated in the original and more negative sense of the Word (I just used the Word as a kind of humurous approach to describing the situation), just more an influence type of introduction to metal over the years Tongue.

i knew what you meant :d

I think the secret is to introduce them gently.  Don't start off with Meshuggah, start with Metallica :)
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2015 at 3:34pm
I was 10 or 11 when I first heard Iron Maiden's Somewhere In Time, which got me hooked on metal. Before that, when I was like 5 or 6,  I had listened to Twisted Sister, which I liked, but it was Maiden that got me hooked. From there, I explored all sorts of metal and hard rock, and later prog, music. I never went through that process of seeking for increasingly extreme music, as my taste in music expanded in all sorts of directions. Also, unlike many other people, there are very few albums and bands that I stopped liking as I got older (I still like Slippery When Wet and New Jersey, for instance). Fortunately, my parents always supported me, and my dad would often come with me to Iron Maiden, Megadeth, AC/DC, Metallica, and Judas Priest concerts just for the fun of it (he's a blues rock guitarist himself, so I think he was just happy that I became interested in music).

I fondly remember the 90s because of the extreme metal underground scene in my hometown Odense and because that's when I started playing in bands and stuff. I was so metal in the 90s that, when I got hit by a car, while listening to Entombed no less, on my way to the English exam in 10th grade, I went to the exam anyway and aced it although I was bleeding from my hands and shaking from the adrenaline.

Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

Both me and my Brother went to a catholic school, and boy did they look on in terror when we started going to school with our Slayer and Metallica patches and T-shirts. I especially remember my horrid German teacher, who was a TRUE catholic (she had around a hundred children or something like that) talking about the devil´s influence and similar speeches LOL

I had a teacher in school too, who was worried about me because I wore all those T-shirts with monsters and strange logos on them. She was not religious, though. She was just stupid. Once I wore my trusty old Iron Maiden Purgatory t-shirt, she asked me why I wore all those horrifying t-shirts. I told her to calm down and that it was only rock music.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 2:12am
I had an American exchange teacher tell me he found Iron Maiden to be some of the most boring music he'd ever heard.Cry I felt like telling him he was making Chinese history into the most boring subject I'd ever heard. (For anyone who doesn't know anything about Chinese history, it's anything BUT boring!)
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 5:21pm
I couldn't say metal is my life as I equally love prog and hard rock but I first discovered the likes of Sabbath, Zep, The Who and Deep Purple when I was about 14 along with prog bands like Yes, Genesis and Camel to name a few. This was the mid-seventies, a time when I discovered so many great bands and even now still have a big hunger for discovering new talent. 

Apart from my family though, great music is my life!
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2015 at 1:43am
^It´s the same with me. I like other genres too. Especially prog, but also jazz rock/fusion, classical, some pop and rock too, and well...just generally what I consider quality music. But metal is my biggest passion, and the music genre I know most about.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2015 at 1:53am
Metal's most definietly my biggest musical passion (which is why I started this topic!), but I love punk in a big way. I got a bit bored with metal in about 1995, because thrash had died, grunge and nu-metal were dominating everything, and black metal just seemed too silly, so I got right into punk. I love old oi stuff (draw the line at the stupid nazi racist shit though), SoCal stuff like Bad Religion, NOFX and The Vandals, and hardcore. 

My other musical thing is musical theatre. I grew up with it, and have been in a few musicals myself, although not for more than 20 years now. Saw Grease about a month ago, and I'm off to see Spamalot on Saturday night.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2015 at 2:35am
Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

Metal's most definietly my biggest musical passion (which is why I started this topic!), but I love punk in a big way. I got a bit bored with metal in about 1995, because thrash had died, grunge and nu-metal were dominating everything, and black metal just seemed too silly, so I got right into punk. I love old oi stuff (draw the line at the stupid nazi racist shit though), SoCal stuff like Bad Religion, NOFX and The Vandals, and hardcore. 

My other musical thing is musical theatre. I grew up with it, and have been in a few musicals myself, although not for more than 20 years now. Saw Grease about a month ago, and I'm off to see Spamalot on Saturday night.
I saw Cats and Les Miserables when I visited London 20 years ago, but other than that I´ve only seen a few other musicals (I think I saw one in Vienna once too). Great experiences btw, and I fully understand your interest in that type of shows.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic