MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >I Have A Question For You......?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

should i fix this Zappa album cover?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: should i fix this Zappa album cover?
    Posted: 22 Aug 2015 at 11:54am
my dad's long time friend gave me like 5 albums(including Cough hack the Beatles white album original pressing with all inserts) and in it was this mothers of invention album uncle meat. it has the bottom seam split almost the entire way and the top the entire way. 

should i fix it with this method shown here in his video but with card stock or just leave it alone. i am asking because do you think if i fix it it  will ruin the value or not?

video wont post to the forum so here is a link to it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5lgX-I79io

admin: don't use https:// when posting videos. Fixed:

Edited by adg211288 - 22 Aug 2015 at 1:38pm
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2015 at 1:31pm
If it's because of the value you want to fix it, then I would leave it alone. Adding anything that wasn't originally there will decrease value IMO and either way you couldn't list it for sale with a high grade on the cover, fixed or not.
vmoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2015 at 1:44pm
i just don't know what to do being it is a collectible album
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2015 at 5:15pm
The collectibility of the album will be affected by the condition of the cover as well as the vinyl itself. Sounds like the cover would be considered good by Record Collector magazine's grading system. What's the vinyl like? Here's what they say for a record and cover in good condition - 

Te record has been played so much that the sound quality has notceably deteriorated, perhaps with some distortion and mild scratches. The cover and contents suffer from folding, scuffing of edges, spine splits, discolouration, etc.

Edited by Nightfly - 22 Aug 2015 at 5:16pm
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2015 at 6:41pm
If you're asking the value, then you probably want to sell it. I'd go and ask a record collector site or something. If it was mine and I was keeping it, I'd fix it.
vmoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2015 at 8:42pm
the vinyl's are in very good condition with some scratches here and there. i haven't listened to it yet but i did sample some sections and they sounded great with little to no surface noise. i will be keeping this album since i am a zappa fan. but since it is collectible i kinda don't wanna destroy its collect ability. 

Edited by vmoore - 22 Aug 2015 at 8:57pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image