Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Metal Hammer magazine, January 1990

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Metal Hammer magazine, January 1990
    Posted: 14 Aug 2015 at 7:18pm
Just been having a discussion about metal journalism on another forum, and I posted this. It's the contents of the first ever Metal Hammer I bought. Thought you might find it interesting!

Right, first issue of Metal Hammer I ever bought: Jan 29-Feb 11 1990 Price: 1.75 (pounds and pence, cos I only have dollar signs on my keyboard)

On the cover: Pic of Spike from Quireboys
Skid Row - Snake on Sebastian
Tigertailz
Yngwie
Festival Frenzy- Manowar, Sabbat, Fates Warning, Saxon, Lizzy (Borden, not Thin)
Little Angels
Savatage
Bon Jovi
Kiss
Mr. Big
Anthrax
Princess Pang
Nasty Savage
George Lynch
The Metal Decade '80-'89 Part 4: '88-'89
Posters: Thrash (Kreator, Sodom, Tankard) and Joe Satriani (I used the thrash side!)
Kai Hansen Contest- Win a trip to Egypt

News:
New Dio Album- Vinnie Appice Leaves Band (this was at the time Rowan Robertson joined the band. Appice was replaced by Simon Wright from AC/DC)
Skid Row Bottle Bust (Sebastian Bach had hit a girl in the face with a bottle at a gig)
Panama (some crappy band from London)
Laaz Rockit Up (finally releasing Annihilation Principle)
Marshall Law Reinforcements (Got a new drummer)
Bang Tango To Tour
Iron Maiden- Ten Years At The Top (Re-releasing all their singles)
Dead, Jail or Cardiff University (Michael Monroe touring)

Reviews
Best Of All: The Quireboys - A Bit Of What You Fancy 5/5
Special Tip: Jagged Edge - Trouble 5/5
Salty Dog - Salty Dog 4/5
Slaughter - Stick It To Ya 3.5/5
Savatage - Gutter Ballet 3/5
Heaven's Gate - In Control 2/5
The Black Riders - Chosen Few 2/5
Blind Guardian - Follow The Blind 3/5
The Sweet - Live At The Marquee 1/5
Hunter/Ronson - Yul Orta 4/5
DYS - Wolfpack 5/5
The Angels - Beyond Salvation 5/5
Bad Religion - No Control 5/5 (finally one they got right!)
Liar - Nothing But The Truth 1/5
Addictive - Pity Of Man 2/5
Hiroshima - Hiroshima 1/5
Muro - Mutant Hunter 1/5
Benny Mardones - Benny Mardones 3.5/5
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2015 at 12:54am
We have a metal mag in Denmark called Metalized, and I actually purchased my first copy in 1990 too Smile.

Funny history leason btw. I remember the Sebastian Bach incident.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2015 at 12:59am
I just thought it was pretty cool to show how things had changed in 25 years. the biggest problem with living in New Zealand is we don't get some European and American magazines on the shelf until about two months later. It was possibly even three months back then.

I'd been getting an Australian magazine for about a year before this, called Hot Metal. It was actually pretty good, giving quite a balanced view of all genres of metal, and had a good mix of Aussie and international bands. Another good thing about Hot Metal is we got it about 3 weeks after it was printed.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2015 at 4:29am
Most of that stuff would be more likely to feature in Classic Rock magazine these days. I've dipped into Metal Hammer over the years but never been a regular subscriber. I did always get kerrang though until around 1990 when it seemed to change towards a more kid friendly format.

I've a few boxes of old magazines in the garage and it's interesting to dig a few copies out now and then.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2015 at 4:30am
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

We have a metal mag in Denmark called Metalized, and I actually purchased my first copy in 1990 too Smile.

I've seen that on the shelf in newsagents and often considered buying it but some how never got round to it.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2015 at 4:58am
Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

Most of that stuff would be more likely to feature in Classic Rock magazine these days. 

That's where I last saw a picture of Spike from Quireboys. 25 years of living the rock star life have not treated him kindly...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic