Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Albums you've overplayed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Albums you've overplayed
    Posted: 18 Jul 2015 at 5:36pm
Opposite to slow burners, these are albums you liked initially, but have gone off, either through over-playing them, or just realising they weren't that good in the first place (as my mother would put it, "growing out of it". She's still waiting for me to grow out of this metal phase. Since I'm 42 now she might have given up hope...LOL)

Rust In Peace - Megadeth
OK, it seemed pretty good on initial release, but it just got tired very quickly. The guitars seemed to lack any real grunt when compared to So Far, So Good...So What! I now find it almost impossible to listen to. Even hearing the songs off it in Megadeth live releases grates a bit. I find the ongoing worship of it a bit hard to comprehend.

Back In Black - AC/DC
This one is just straight over-exposure. Whenever I hear the title track or You Shook Me All Night Long or any of the other songs off it, I long for Blow Up Your Video or Highway To Hell or TNT or Dirty Deeds Done DIrt Cheap, or pretty much anything that's NOT Back In Black. It's like some radio programmers and Acca Dacca fans have forgotten there's about 20 other AC/DC albums to choose from!

Act III - Death Angel
Death Angel was one of the first thrash bands to go melodic. This album had a couple of thrashers on it, like Seemingly Endless Time and Disturbing The Peace, but most of it was a bit slower, but still pretty good. Then I got Frolic Through The Park and The Ultra-Violence, and Act III just seemed lame in comparison.

Master Of Puppets - Metallica
Overexposure again. Metallica have never remixed their albums, which I applaud them for, but Master Of Puppets just doesn't seem as heavy now as when I was 17. I still listen to it, but I would rather listen to any of the other three of the first four albums (or Garage Days Re-Revisited) first.

In Memoriam - Venom
This is a best-of album. It's got a few good tracks on it, and it seemed OK initially, but the originals make more sense live or in the original album context. This was the first Venom I managed to get my hands on, and I suppose it's OK as a history piece, but I'd prefer a full album to this, even one of their later ones.

While You Were Shouting At The Devil…We Were In League With Satan - Zimmer's Hole
I fucked this one up for myself right royally by having it on too heavy a rotation. The humour seems a bit silly, even though the music fucking rips. I'm sure I'll like it again one day, but if it comes up now, I usually hit the skip button.

Edited by Vim Fuego - 18 Jul 2015 at 5:37pm
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2015 at 5:54pm
Great idea for a thread! Not sure if I have any albums that I overplayed. I'm still pretty young though so most of the stuff I stopped listening to was because... my tastes got more refined Tongue Hmmm let's see. 
No I can't find any such album lol. Maybe I should take a look at your other thread instead of spamming here ;d
Dobbie03 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dobbie03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2015 at 6:01pm
I don't really have any over played albums.  I try to be varied with what I listen to so I don't get into that position :)
Be excellent to each other.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2015 at 7:46pm
It doesn't happen to me much anymore, since like Matt I try to have a varied mix.

However, damn did I used to just put everything on repeat when I was younger. Happened mainly with Aerosmith, Rush, and Styx. I was obsessed with those three bands years ago, went through phases of mainly playing those three bands. Thankfully, it's been a good 5 years since then so I can listen to them again, but I usually only listen to them if they come on during a shuffle of all my music. 

I listen to Rush the most out of those three, since they were the band that 'got me into music' and still are one of my favorite bands. 'Cygnus X-1' is still one of my favorite songs of all time.
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2015 at 1:26am
Only thing I can think of is that I rarely feel like listening to Metallica or Iron Maiden anymore
Dobbie03 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dobbie03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2015 at 2:18am
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Only thing I can think of is that I rarely feel like listening to Metallica or Iron Maiden anymore

Actually that sounds like me too.  There are other reasons I have totally gone off Metallica though :)
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2015 at 5:30am
Originally posted by Dobbie03 Dobbie03 wrote:

Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Actually that sounds like me too.  There are other reasons I have totally gone off Metallica though :)

Lol, that actually applies to myself as wellTongue I've never been a huge fan of Maiden but I used to listen (and play) lots of the 80s Metallica. 
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2015 at 7:18am
No metal yet. Closest thing would be The Mars Volta. But I've been revisiting Deloused and enjoying it. Amputechture not so much.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2015 at 7:38am
I don't think I have any specific albums. I have many albums I don't play so much due to changing tastes but I'm not sure I have any records I just played so much that they lost their appeal. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Dobbie03 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dobbie03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2015 at 2:31am
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

No metal yet. Closest thing would be The Mars Volta. But I've been revisiting Deloused and enjoying it. Amputechture not so much.

They are a great band.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2015 at 4:10am

They are a great band.

I second that. Very experimental and adventurous rock music, that somehow got really successful. That doesn´t happen everyday with band´s this innovative.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2015 at 10:57am
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

They are a great band.

I second that. Very experimental and adventurous rock music, that somehow got really successful. That doesn´t happen everyday with band´s this innovative.

There's been a couple songs from them I enjoy, but the vocalist has always turned me off.
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2015 at 2:49pm
^ same
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2015 at 3:11pm
^ lads, I'm disappointed by your obvious lack of taste
Necrotica View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG, Death, Alt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2015 at 4:06am
I'd say Dirt by Alice in Chains is probably the album I've overplayed the most in my life. Well, it's still one of my favorite albums of all time and I still listen to it a ton to this day Smile
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2015 at 6:55pm
Originally posted by Bosh66 Bosh66 wrote:

^ lads, I'm disappointed by your obvious lack of taste
Let's not get too ahead of ourselves

Low Spark by Traffic is an album I've always played ever since I bought it.

Edited by aglasshouse - 09 Aug 2015 at 6:58pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic