Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Slow burners

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slow burners
    Posted: 18 Jul 2015 at 4:49pm
Ever had any albums which you weren't impressed with initially, but grew on you? I don't know if there's another name for them, but I've always called 'em slow burners. Here's a few of mine.

Reign In Blood - Slayer

May as well start at the top.Smile I really didn't get this album when I first heard it. I already had South Of Heaven, and expected something similar, and perhaps a bit slower! It was all over so quick I felt ripped off because it was so short (it was on cassette, and the full album was on both sides). But I kept reading about it in the magazines, so I kept listening to it, and then all of a sudden I got it. Angel Of Death, Jesus Saves, Raining Blood, Piece By Piece, Altar of Sacrifice, this album could do no wrong! As for the length, that didn't seem to matter once I was fully immersed. In fact, I was highly pissed off when I finally replaced my worn out tape which had done me many years of gallant service, with a CD, which had TWO bonus tracks! You shouldn't fuck with an album like this. It was 10 songs, and should remain 10 songs. So I just don't listen to the other two.Tongue

Beneath The Remains - Sepultura

Got this in 1990, when it was still a pretty big deal. I'd heard Mass Hypnosis, and to be honest I wasn't that highly impressed with the song. I bought the album anyway, and initially it just seemed like several more versions of Mass Hypnosis. I thought it was a bit blegh. I filed it away for a bit, pulled it out, gave it a few more listens, and still wasn't getting it. Then in 1991, Arise came out, along with the reissue of Schizophrenia. I bought them both at the same time. I stuck Schizophrenia in my Walkman first, and pow! All of a sudden, Beneath The Remains made sense! The riffs, the lyrics, the speed... I suppose Schizophrenia showed where it had developed from. Arise was a bit of a letdown after that, but it grew on me too.

The Sound Of White Noise - Anthrax

Persistence Of Time was probably my second favourite album of 1990 after Seasons In The Abyss (don't mention Rust in Peace. That's for another topic!), so when Anthrax finally got around to recording another studio album, I was expecting something heavy as fuck. What I found instead was melody! Where were Scott Ian's crushing riffs, not to mention that Godzilla-stomp rhythm guitar? Where were the thrashers like Discharge and Got The Time? And where were the theatrical vocals? I just wasn't in the right frame of mind for melody at that time. Metallica had released the Black album, and every other thrash band seemed to be slowing down and going to shit, and Anthrax had done it too. 

But then a couple of years later, I revisited it and discovered John Bush had a really powerful voice. Those riffs and melodies really stuck in your head. And you know what? I listened to Sound Of White Noise over and over, unable to believe how wrong I'd been to dismiss it.

That's just three. I'm sure I've got others, but this is turning into War and Peace.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2015 at 5:10pm
Nightwish - Imaginaerum

Hated it at first, but after a few listens started to enjoy it a bit more. Eventually settled on 4 stars for a review, then didn't really listen to it again for ages. heard it again a few years later and was blown away by it. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
DippoMagoo View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Power & Neo, Goth & Symph, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2015 at 5:27pm
I tend to call those albums "growers", but "slow burners" works fine as well. Honestly, for me this happens frequently with new albums by my favorite bands, in large part because if a band does something drastically different, it tends to take me a few listens to get over my initial disappointment, and then eventually start to appreciate it. Symphony X's Iconoclast is probably the most extreme example of this, because initially I was outright hating it, and somehow over time it became a 5 star album and possibly my favorite by them. But yeah, it happens frequently for me.
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2015 at 6:03pm
Oh I had some of those!

Isis - In the Absence of Truth
-> couldn't care less about it when I first heard it, it grew on me a couple of years later.

Kayo Dot - Coyote
-> couldn't get into it until recently. It seems the album broke me ;d My psyche got smashed and now I actually love it. yolo. But it's not metal.

Riverside - Rapid Eye Movement
-> Now I like it but I couldn't listen to at first. I didn't like anything remotely vanilla prog rock at the time of its release.

Intronaut - Prehistoricism
-> something just clicked ;) a solid album.

thats it for now
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2015 at 6:12pm
Kreator - Renewal. After the thrash onslaught of the 80s Kreator suddenly released an album like Renewal. I wasn´t ready for it, and it seems most of the rest of the World weren´t either. Today it´s my favorite Kreator album. The chilly post-apocalyptic atmosphere of the album is greatly enjoyable to my ears.

Pestilence - Spheres. I disliked this one for a long while. I couldn´t understand all those semi-jazzy notes, and odd guitar synths. Today I regard the album as one of the seminal tech/prog death metal albums of the 90s, and I greatly enjoy listening to it.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2015 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

Kreator - Renewal. After the thrash onslaught of the 80s Kreator suddenly released an album like Renewal. I wasn´t ready for it, and it seems most of the rest of the World weren´t either. Today it´s my favorite Kreator album. The chilly post-apocalyptic atmosphere of the album is greatly enjoyable to my ears.

Pestilence - Spheres. I disliked this one for a long while. I couldn´t understand all those semi-jazzy notes, and odd guitar synths. Today I regard the album as one of the seminal tech/prog death metal albums of the 90s, and I greatly enjoy listening to it.

Funny, but I liked Renewal right from the outset. I wasn't that keen on Coma Of Souls, which had seemed like Extreme Aggression Part II. Perhaps I was just ready for a different sound.

As for Spheres, I didn't get it at first either, but then when Death went all technical it seemed to make more sense. And then there was the history between Death and Pestilence...Smile
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2015 at 8:01pm
I've had a few of those:

Helstar - Glory of Chaos

Helstar is and always will be one of my favorite bands, but when I heard 'Glory of Chaos' I was kind of overwhelmed by the intense speed, Rivera's piercing screams on 'Alma Negra', and the frantic drumming. Back when I first heard it, I wasn't as familiar with extreme music (Yup, believe it or not, I wasn't always the thrash and death loving guy I am now. LOL). I loved the Helstar album I owned at that point 'Burning Star', but the new Helstar was much more brutal. Eventually though, as my tastes got to how they are now I fell in love. 'Alma Negra' is now one of my favorite songs from them, and the album is my second favorite album from them after their new one.

Yes - The Yes Album

This isn't anything metal, but this was a recent grower for me. I originally heard it a year ago or so, and was disappointed. Recently though, I was listening to my mom's cassette of it and really enjoyed it. While it's not my favorite album from them, it's certainly one of my favorites.

Those are the two I can think of right now, there's probably some more though.  
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
Necrotica View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG, Death, Alt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2015 at 1:07pm
The entire Voivod discography used to be hard for me to get into. I didn't initially enjoy the space rock elements or Snake's voice, but now they're one of my all time favorite bands. I love the way they meld the intensity of thrash with the more cerebral moments of prog metal Big smile Plus, there's just no band that sounds like them
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2015 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by Necrotica Necrotica wrote:

The entire Voivod discography used to be hard for me to get into. I didn't initially enjoy the space rock elements or Snake's voice, but now they're one of my all time favorite bands. I love the way they meld the intensity of thrash with the more cerebral moments of prog metal Big smile Plus, there's just no band that sounds like them

Yup, Voivod is definitely one of the most unique bands out there. Can't really go wrong with any of their albums! Thumbs Up  
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
Necrotica View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG, Death, Alt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2015 at 2:50pm
Yeah, Killing Technology, Dimension Hatross, and Nothingface are such an amazing trio of albums! Smile
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2015 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by Necrotica Necrotica wrote:

Yeah, Killing Technology, Dimension Hatross, and Nothingface are such an amazing trio of albums! Smile

I agree, but I have a soft spot for "The Outer Limits" too.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2015 at 4:20pm
At War With Reality - At The Gates took around 3 months and eventually became my favourite metal album of 2014.

Reign In Blood hit me straight away and South Of Heaven took me a bit longer but probably because I got them as they came out back in the 80's and heard them in that order. I guess I was hoping for Reign In Blood 2.

Edited by Nightfly - 10 Aug 2015 at 4:23pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic