Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2015 in Metal so far

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2015 at 3:57am
I've got the Nile and Enslaved albums on my list still to buy.

Really enjoyed the Paradise Lost album. I did also enjoy the Maiden one. While some here felt it wasn't as iimediate as some previous albums, my concern was that it felt too immediate - but then again getting what you're expecting shouldn't be an issue. It's just a surprise or two is always nice. Need to play it some more to get a settled view on this.

The Between The Buried And Me was really good. Coma Ecliptic further relegates any residual metalcore influences. They're still here but this is very much a progressive metal album. More metalcore / mathcore and my favourite release so far this year is the Rolo Tomassi release Grievancies. Still very progressive and still very aggressive.

Also enjoyed the seventh Lamb Of God album, more so than some of their earlier releases. A call out too for Kekal.

Latest Fight Amp was solid and Acturus was okay.

Edited by Bosh66 - 10 Sep 2015 at 3:58am
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2015 at 11:51am
Slayer - Repentless just arrived so giving that a listen. 

Iron Maiden - still only played once but sounds great.
Nile on order and looking forward to the new Avatarium next month.
Best of the rest...
Angra, Enslaved, Europe, Royal Thunder, Unleashed, Lucifer, Lamb of God, Melechesh, Nocturnalia, Morgoth, Symphony X, Sorcerer, Sulphur Aeon and Carach Angren.
Jbird View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2015 at 7:12am
Saturday I picked up the new Amorphis - Under The Red Cloud

Album. Of. The. Year.

Yes, it's that good.

I've loved them since Tomi Jousten became their singer, never got into their earlier stuff. I know some people complain though that since Tomi came on board, the clean vocals have been about 80-90%, growls only 10% or so.

Not so on UTRC though, I'd say the cookie monster comes out at least 50%, if not more on this album. And the melodies are fantastic, more flute and such in it. Production is fantastic too, I couldn't believe how good it sounded on my car's stereo (2014 Chevy Cruze LTZ) which because it's a very treble heavy stereo, many discs sound a bit 'thin' on it, even with the bass cranked.

Just a killer album, pick it up unless you just don't care for Amorphis.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2015 at 8:09am
I´ll take a listen to the new Amorphis when I get the chance. I haven´t really been a fan post- Elegy, but I´ve still followed them and have given most of their albums a chance. It´s just not my type of music, in the sense that I would never listen to it at home, if it wasn´t for review purposes.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2015 at 8:36am
Originally posted by Jbird Jbird wrote:

Saturday I picked up the new Amorphis - Under The Red Cloud

Album. Of. The. Year.

Yes, it's that good.

I've loved them since Tomi Jousten became their singer, never got into their earlier stuff. I know some people complain though that since Tomi came on board, the clean vocals have been about 80-90%, growls only 10% or so.

Not so on UTRC though, I'd say the cookie monster comes out at least 50%, if not more on this album. And the melodies are fantastic, more flute and such in it. Production is fantastic too, I couldn't believe how good it sounded on my car's stereo (2014 Chevy Cruze LTZ) which because it's a very treble heavy stereo, many discs sound a bit 'thin' on it, even with the bass cranked.

Just a killer album, pick it up unless you just don't care for Amorphis.

Had a quick listen on Spotify and it sounded pretty good - the Cd's on its way to me so looking forward to a good blast on my Hi-fi in a few days.
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2015 at 10:57am
I have to listen to some new albums, hope I find some time for that.

New albums from My Dying Bride, Kingcrow and Cfristian Mistress.

I love the new Riverside album. The more I listen, the more I love it.

There are some other  prog releases as well but I'll get back to that.  
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2015 at 6:53am
New albums from WASP, Queensryche and Trivium.

New Trivium does not have the metalcore influences/sound anymore so I will try it out (I also like their 2006 thrashy album).
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2015 at 11:20am
Originally posted by LittleBig LittleBig wrote:

New albums from WASP, Queensryche and Trivium.

New Trivium does not have the metalcore influences/sound anymore so I will try it out (I also like their 2006 thrashy album).

My main issue with Trivium is how much the singer sounds like Hetfield. It's just difficult for me to get past that. Confused
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2015 at 12:05pm
^ He never used to on the first two albums, but on The Crusade he really changed. I haven't actually heard any Trivium album since that one. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2015 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

^ He never used to on the first two albums, but on The Crusade he really changed. I haven't actually heard any Trivium album since that one. 

Yeah, I love Ascendancy. I haven't heard anything from them past Shogun. 
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2015 at 1:20pm
After Shogan the band went back to a more metalcore sound. Not heard much bar snippets of the latest but metalcore seems to be little more than a secondary again. Seems to be being tagged everywhere as a trad / heavy metal album this time.

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2015 at 2:47pm
I´ve listened to a couple of Trivium albums over the years, and I´ve seen them live twice. I have enjoyed very Little of what I´ve heard so far. Definitely not my thing...
Jbird View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2015 at 7:31pm
The new Queensryche is very good. Let's face it, they are never going to go back to sounding like the classic QR era, the EP thru OM:MC, but the new album is very good. Their best album since Empire, imo.
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2015 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

I´ve listened to a couple of Trivium albums over the years, and I´ve seen them live twice. I have enjoyed very Little of what I´ve heard so far. Definitely not my thing...
Way back before I listened to anything remotely heavy, I discovered the ambient artist Eluvium. Months later, on iTunes, I saw Shogun, clicked it and thought, "huh, he's got a new album out. Let's see what relaxing sounds await me."
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2015 at 10:08pm
Did not expect to like the new Deafheaven. Was not a fan of the singles until I heard them in context.

Krallice's Ygg Huur tops my list as far as metal albums. Dissonant, technical, blazing hot. 
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2015 at 4:59am
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

Way back before I listened to anything remotely heavy, I discovered the ambient artist Eluvium. Months later, on iTunes, I saw Shogun, clicked it and thought, "huh, he's got a new album out. Let's see what relaxing sounds await me."

LOL
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2015 at 8:12am
Originally posted by Bosh66 Bosh66 wrote:

LOL

Oh well we all make mistakes LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2015 at 10:17pm

Originally posted by Bosh66 Bosh66 wrote:

LOL

Oh well we all make mistakes LOL
tbh I still feel like clicking play on a Trivium album is a mistake. Wink

Sorry, couldn't pass up that potshot. I have no disrespect towards those that like them.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 1:11am
^Not as much of a mistake as it is clicking play on a Limp Bizkit album.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2015 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by Unitron Unitron wrote:

^Not as much of a mistake as it is clicking play on a Limp Bizkit album.
This is true.

On the subject of the thread, Four Phantoms by Bell Witch is quite good. Sprawling, expansive funeral doom. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic