MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2015 in Metal so far

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2015 at 3:06am
I picked up a bunch of 2015 albums this weekend.

Symphony X - Underworld
Borealis - Purgatory
Signum Regis - Through the Storm
Lamb Of God - Sturm Und Drang
Ensiferum - One Man Army

….aaaannnd…. Jason Isbell - Something More Than Free (not metal…actually it's the Billboard #1 Country album this week…with NO radio airplay)

I've only listened to the Symphony X & Borealis once,  and about 4 songs of the Jason Isbell so far.

The Symphony X sounds like a cross between their albums 'Paradise Lost' & ' Iconoclast'. I think if you put Underworld on it's own, with no reference or history to the earlier Symphony X, it's a great album.

As a long-time Symphony X fan though, it sounds (to me) like Michael Romeo is running out of riff ideas. A lot of the riffs, and indeed solos too, sound very similar to earlier Symphony X works. It just sounds rehashed. Very, very good rehash, but rehashed none the less.

The Borealis isn't as good as their album 'Fall From Grace'. Not bad, not bad….a lot of good riffing and you can hear the keyboard player much more clearly. I'm just not as impressed by the songs, decent though they are.

The Jason Isbell, so far… kinda 'meh' compared to his last album 'Southeastern', which was an excellent album.

I still think the Kamelot album 'Haven' is my favorite of 2015 so far. Killer album and one of my favorite Kamelot albums period.
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2015 at 3:21am
I've just finished listening to Armored Saint - Win Hands Down, I enjoyed it a lot.
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2015 at 6:49am
Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

Originally posted by LittleBig LittleBig wrote:

The new Symphony X album has become my no 1 album of the year so far - going to take some shifting.

haven't listened to it yet, but I will

If you like Symphony X you wont be disappointed! 

I've listened to it today and it definitely did NOT disappoint.

Now I'm half way through Neal Morse's The Grand Experiment  - better than I expected. Big smile

Edited by LittleBig - 04 Aug 2015 at 6:49am
Jbird View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2015 at 7:02am
The new Lamb Of God is excellent, as good as 'Ashes' or 'As the Palaces Burn', imo. I'm usually not into that style, though LoG is one of the few bands in that genre that I do like, and the new album has some killer riffing going on. Even some singing in a couple of spots instead of screamo/cookie monster.

Edited by Jbird - 05 Aug 2015 at 7:03am
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2015 at 4:47am

I've just finished listening to Armored Saint - Win Hands Down, I enjoyed it a lot.

I found it to be excellent too!
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2015 at 11:26am

The new Symphony X album has become my no 1 album of the year so far - going to take some shifting.

haven't listened to it yet, but I will

If you like Symphony X you wont be disappointed! 

I've listened to it today and it definitely did NOT disappoint.

Now I'm half way through Neal Morse's The Grand Experiment  - better than I expected. Big smile

Glad you enjoyed it. Smile

Haven't bothered with Neal Morse for years now being put off by the religious preaching of his lyrics on some of his stuff. Not even sure if he's still doing that to be honest. I did like a lot of what he did in Spocks Beard though.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2015 at 11:29am
Originally posted by Jbird Jbird wrote:

The new Lamb Of God is excellent, as good as 'Ashes' or 'As the Palaces Burn', imo. I'm usually not into that style, though LoG is one of the few bands in that genre that I do like, and the new album has some killer riffing going on. Even some singing in a couple of spots instead of screamo/cookie monster.

I'm enjoying the new Lamb of God album too. Haven't made up my mind yet how high it sits in the back catalogue but it's certainly pretty high up.
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2015 at 2:29am
Year of the Goat released their second album The Unspeakable. I'll try listening to it today (I loved their debut album, they also have some EPs but I haven't heard those).
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2015 at 4:07am
Originally posted by Jbird Jbird wrote:

I really like the instrumental part of Lamb of God, but I just can´t seem to appreciate the vocals. They are actually fairly original sounding for the style (which doesn´t make them any better though). At least the low semi-growling vocals. The metalcore screams are more typical. I found it refreshing and a good idea that Blythe sings some clean vocals on the new one. It Works really well, and I hope that´s the direction they are heading in vocally.

Musically the material could be a Little more varied and definitely more catchy/hooky too. I still hear a band with great unfullfilled potential.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2015 at 4:09am

I think it´s another great quality album by Symphony X, but to my ears it´s not one of their best. It´s a pretty "safe" release, and lacks Development of the band´s sound. Still there are some really great tracks on the album like Nevermore, the title track, and the closer.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2015 at 4:10am
The new Skinless was a very positive surprise for me. I usually don´t appreciate brutal technical death metal save for a few distinct sounding artists like Nile and Suffocation, but this album is different and stands out. Definitely recommended for fans of the genre.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2015 at 4:21am
I've spent more time this year discovering older metal, especially from the 80's than I have new releases. I normally average at 100+ albums heard if not reviewed per year and this year so far I'm only at 32. I have a few releases upcoming still that will push that number a bit higher but this does look set to be a slow year for me, with not many promos even interesting me all that much. No 5 star albums for this year yet for me 

My top for this year so far remains Blind Guardian's latest. I've expecting fierce competition from a few still to come releases including Iron Maiden, Rebellion and Avatarium though. 

Really love this one from the new Blind Guardian. Feels like a real throwback to the Somewhere far Beyond/Imaginations from the Other Side era. 

The latest from Unleash the Archers really impressed me too. Especially the singer. She's got some real power in her voice but unfortunately shares the vocals with growlers, which really feels unnecessary for their classic guitar driven power metal style. This might have been my top album otherwise.

My third top pick for this year so far has to be the second Wilderun album. Not as good as their first one for me but still quite excellent stuff. Put Turisas, Ensiferum and (pre-Heritage) Opeth into a blender and you'd get something like this.

Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Jbird View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2015 at 8:20pm
ooh!

I like that Wilderun. Never heard of them before.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2015 at 2:19am
Listening to the new Fear Factory which to my ears is an improvement over The Industrialist, but still slightly dissapointing as it sounds a lot like a rehash of ideas they already used on "Demanufacture", "Obsolete", and even "Digimortal". It´s still pretty good though, and of course very well produced and executed.
666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2015 at 9:24am
Wilderun are great, though I too enjoyed their debut a little more. Both very worthwhile albums though.
Vic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2015 at 7:38am
I just opened my 2015 txt where I keep notes of what I want to listen to and what I really liked. This is the list of bands I really liked:

Kenn Nardi (again)
Enforcer (always liked em, never was blown away. This time I REALLY liked them, I think this is their best one)
Napalm Death - shockingly good.
Sacral Rage - fantastic old school US metal. Annihilator, Watchtower, Helstar, Crimson Glory fans dig in.
Armored Saint - excellent comeback, very solid, inspired. John Bush is awesome as always.
Black Fast - Fans of Vektor, here is a band following in their footsteps, a bit tamer on the technical side perhaps and with less black metal overtones. 
Deathhammer - Sargent Salsten has the best extreme vocals in the history of metal. Yes, I know what I just said. SCREAMING METAL FILTH. 1985 <3
Encyrcle - very pleasant surprise from these newcomers. Definitely give them a try!
Evil Invaders - speed metal from Belgium. Their EP was very enjoyable but the album is even better!
Scanner - great comeback II.
Crypt Sermon - doom metal for Candlemass fans. VERY good stuff.
Dr. Living Dead - Suicidal Tendencies worship.
Negative Self - ex- Dr. Living Dead singer's new band. Suicidal Tendencies worship times two.
Sorcerer - Wow. Just wow.
Ranger - Again, old school stuff well worth checking out.
Chainsaw - filthy old school thrash, the one that is clad in bullets and spikes.
Exarsis - change of singer to something more to my tastes, this greek thrash band is one of the very good examples of NWOTM.

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2015 at 7:43am
^Nice with some more unknown recommendations. I´ll check out some of those.
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2015 at 4:15am
more 2015 goodies Wink

Thundermother - Road Fever - all female band, traditional hard'n' heavy, I hear some Girlschool & AC/DC in there. Great vocalist!

Hair of the Dog - The Siren's Song - for those that enjoy the 70s sound, great vocalist and quite competent players!

Slayer - Repentless - decent effort.

God Is an Astronaut - Helios Erebus - ok album, nothing spectacular though. Still enjoyable when in the right mood.

Iron Maiden - Book of Souls - uneven, half of the album bored me terribly.

Black Trip - Shadowline - Thin Lizzy inspired band, very catchy, very enjoyable.

Riverside - Love, Fear and the Time Machine - loved it, one of my favorite of 2015!

Edited by LittleBig - 09 Sep 2015 at 4:25am
bonnek View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonnek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2015 at 2:39am

I'm always slow picking up releases from the current year.

1. So far, Enslaved has hit me the most, not a surprise but still incredible how they keep going at such consistent quality.
2. Second a very nice Goth metal release from Kontinuum: Kyrr.
3. Still on the goth scene and getting better again with each new release: Paradise Lost
4. Also digesting now: Tribulation, Alkaloid, The Great Discord.
5. And not bad but (way) past their prime: Iron Maiden, Leprous and Faith No More

Turn offs: Wilson, Riverside (sorry guys I hate ballad pop)

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2015 at 3:17am
Originally posted by bonnek bonnek wrote:

I'm always slow picking up releases from the current year.

1. So far, Enslaved has hit me the most, not a surprise but still incredible how they keep going at such consistent quality.
2. Second a very nice Goth metal release from Kontinuum: Kyrr.
3. Still on the goth scene and getting better again with each new release: Paradise Lost
4. Also digesting now: Tribulation, Alkaloid, The Great Discord.
5. And not bad but (way) past their prime: Iron Maiden, Leprous and Faith No More

Turn offs: Wilson, Riverside (sorry guys I hate ballad pop)

Tribulation is definitely worth a listen. I really enjoy their new album.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic