MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The 80's Metal Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2022 at 4:45am
I was listening to a podcast the other day with H from Acid Reign talking to Harley Flanagan from the Cro-Mags, and he was talking about a phenomenon which I'd noticed too. Thrash bands which were considered b-grade or worse in the 80s are now raved about like they were almost up there with the Big 4, as if they were hidden gems. The example he gave was Demolition Hammer, and I have to agree - they weren't great, even at their peak.

Other bands I'd put in that category:
Toxik
EvilDead
Atrophy
Morbid Saint
Mortal Sin

That's not to say that there weren't bands from the 80s which were underappreciated. There were. The main point is, just because something was round in the 80s didn't necessarily mean it was any good.

Edited by Vim Fuego - 21 Apr 2022 at 4:45am
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2022 at 8:06am
The same could be said of USPM acts that were around in those days. A while ago I went through quite a few releases that are supposed to be unsung cornerstones of USPM. I found a lot were solid, but few releases that actually stood out as anything special. And I remember a few being kinda meh. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2022 at 10:04am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

I had a listen to Meanstreak's sole album yesterday. I have heard it a long time ago but too long to have any kind of familiarity. I found it really quite solid USPM/Thrash Metal.

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/album/meanstreak(united-states)/roadkill

Today the band is best remembered because three of its members all married members of Dream Theater. I remain the only rating on MMA for their lone album, which is a shame.

It's on Spotify. 

Huh, could've sworn I rated it. I heard it a while back too, good album
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic   

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image