Modern Guitar 'Gods'

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Modern Guitar 'Gods'
    Posted: 10 Aug 2015 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by Vic Vic wrote:

I don't know about 00s but there are 3 guitarists that I consider to be the next generation of the guitar gods of the 80s (which were guitarists like Malmsteen, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Jason Becker, Marty Friedman, Vinnie Moore, etc).

They are Buckethead, the INSANELY prolific guitarist with the enigmatic and pretty crazy self-presentation. The man releases one or two albums PER MONTH for the past few years. And they are good. Crazy, I tell you.

There is Ron Thal, aka Bumblefoot, who became better known for replacing Buckethead in the new Guns n Roses. I knew him from his solo works, which I LOVE, especially 9-11 and Uncool but there is plenty of stuff to look into, he has a lot of diverse stuff to offer.

And then there is Mattias IA Eklundh from Freak Kitchen and his solo albums Freak Guitar. I would describe Freak Kitchen as Frank Zappa playing KISS-pop with very heavy guitars. Insane harmonics, insane control and very, very playful style, like the candy of shredding.

As far as metal goes, I am a fan of Jeff Loomis of course, as well as Michael Romeo of Symphony X and I used to be a fan of John Petrucci before Dream Theater became the epitomy of boredom and predictability. 

So, mostly 90s-early 00s stuff I'm afraid, although all of the above shredders have released plenty of work throughout the 00s and '10s. Again, check out Buckethead's page in metal-archives. It's fucking crazy, I tell you! Most prolific rock artist, ever?

Totally agree with everything you say here Vic. Indeed Buckethead, Bumblefoot and Eklundh are on top of the heap.

Personally i view a guitar god not as who is most popular but who is the most innovative and able to take what has been done before and advancing it. These three guitarists are not only proficient in virtually every type of guitar genre (metal, jazz, ragtime, flamenco etc) but are quite dazzling in their creativity as well. While there are literally hundreds of guitarists who can perform old ideas quite well, there are a very very few who have actually fused all styles of guitar playing as well as these three guys have done.
Jbird View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2015 at 11:16am
70s - Page, Iommi, Blackmore, Van Halen, Schenker, Lifeson
80s - Rhoads, Malmsteen, Lynch, Vai, Satriani, Vaughan, Gary Moore, Morse, Gilbert
90s - Dimebag, Petrucci, Morello, Timmons, Eric Johnson, Skolnick, Friedman
00s - Romeo, Gus G., Akerfeldt, Tolkki,
10's - Abasi, Mansoor, Govan, Andy James

tons I can't think of right now, and I know some of the ones I listed were known the decade previous, but I elt they didn't get 'big' to the public awareness 'til later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hi4BQCmWGiU

Edited by Jbird - 09 Aug 2015 at 11:19am
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2015 at 10:55am
Originally posted by Vic Vic wrote:

And then there is Mattias IA Eklundh from Freak Kitchen and his solo albums Freak Guitar. I would describe Freak Kitchen as Frank Zappa playing KISS-pop with very heavy guitars. Insane harmonics, insane control and very, very playful style, like the candy of shredding.

Mattias Eklundh is definitely a modern guitar god, really crazy stuff. 
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
Vic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2015 at 10:49am
I don't know about 00s but there are 3 guitarists that I consider to be the next generation of the guitar gods of the 80s (which were guitarists like Malmsteen, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Jason Becker, Marty Friedman, Vinnie Moore, etc).

They are Buckethead, the INSANELY prolific guitarist with the enigmatic and pretty crazy self-presentation. The man releases one or two albums PER MONTH for the past few years. And they are good. Crazy, I tell you.

There is Ron Thal, aka Bumblefoot, who became better known for replacing Buckethead in the new Guns n Roses. I knew him from his solo works, which I LOVE, especially 9-11 and Uncool but there is plenty of stuff to look into, he has a lot of diverse stuff to offer.

As far as metal goes, I am a fan of Jeff Loomis of course, as well as Michael Romeo of Symphony X and I used to be a fan of John Petrucci before Dream Theater became the epitomy of boredom and predictability. 

So, mostly 90s-early 00s stuff I'm afraid, although all of the above shredders have released plenty of work throughout the 00s and '10s. Again, check out Buckethead's page in metal-archives. It's fucking crazy, I tell you! Most prolific rock artist, ever?
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2015 at 10:04am
Originally posted by ManDog ManDog wrote:

Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

I think the reason there are so few real big-name influential guitarists right now is that, in this internet age where everything is at your fingertips, everybody is still listening to the old gods

Originally posted by LittleBig LittleBig wrote:

I'll look up some name s of guitarists of some bands I listen to (I do not know them by heart)

See, for me that is an instant disqualifier for "guitar god" status.  It doesn't matter how talented a guitarist is if they aren't recognizable.  If Fender put out a signature guitar for the guitarist from Riverside, most potential buyers would go "who?"  Compare that to a Jimi Hendrix or Eric Clapton signature, which would sell like hotcakes

Yeah dude this is exactly what I meant...you say Eddie Van Halen (example) and everyone knows who they are and what type of guitar he used. Perhaps there is so much music today it just gets bogged down. 
Idk country music is pretty huge (like metal in the 80s). Maybe there's a signature Luke Bryan guitar out there that I just don't really give a shit about haha

well, for instance there is a Steve Rothery signature guitar, I'm sure very few know who Rothery is.
ManDog View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ManDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2015 at 9:40am

I think the reason there are so few real big-name influential guitarists right now is that, in this internet age where everything is at your fingertips, everybody is still listening to the old gods

I'll look up some name s of guitarists of some bands I listen to (I do not know them by heart)

See, for me that is an instant disqualifier for "guitar god" status.  It doesn't matter how talented a guitarist is if they aren't recognizable.  If Fender put out a signature guitar for the guitarist from Riverside, most potential buyers would go "who?"  Compare that to a Jimi Hendrix or Eric Clapton signature, which would sell like hotcakes

Yeah dude this is exactly what I meant...you say Eddie Van Halen (example) and everyone knows who they are and what type of guitar he used. Perhaps there is so much music today it just gets bogged down. 
Idk country music is pretty huge (like metal in the 80s). Maybe there's a signature Luke Bryan guitar out there that I just don't really give a shit about haha

Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2015 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by Balthamel Balthamel wrote:

Josh Homme

More 90s than 00s
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2015 at 4:42pm
Loads of great players with fantastic chops - probably more than there's ever been but perhaps the reason for lack of guitar gods in this century is less originality.  Page, Van Halen, Vai, Hendrix and many more had an instantly recognisable style which set them apart.
Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2015 at 3:18pm
Josh Homme
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2015 at 2:56pm

ok then, I dunno any guitar gods post 2000 LOL
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2015 at 1:27pm

Edited by Triceratopsoil - 17 Jun 2015 at 1:30pm
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2015 at 1:25pm
Some possibilities would be (largely based on who guitarists talk about):

Tosin Abasi
Mikael Akerfeldt and Fredrik Akesson
Jeff Loomis (I know he was playing all of the 90s, but a lot of people didn't realize what a beast he was until his solo albums)
Gus G

-outside of metal:
John Mayer
Guthrie Govan
Claudio Sanchez
Joe Bonamassa
Derek Trucks

ManDog View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ManDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2015 at 7:57am

These are just who come to mind in the last minute
Who are the most respected guitar 'gods' that have started in the 00s?

70's -  Hendrix, Page, Eddie Van Halen Randy Rhoads, Angus, etc
80s - Vai, Vaughan, Mustaine, Slash, Dimebag (?)
90s - Morello (?), Frusciante (?), Zak Wylde
00s - Who are at the top? Not even metal specific.

PCE!

Hendrix died in 1970 so he would be a 60s guitar god.
Also Pantera became huge after Cowboys from Hell so Dimebag would be a guitar god of the '90s.

I'll llok up some name s of guitarists of some bands I listen to (I do not know them by heart) - ex. guitarist of Circus Maximus or Riverside's guitarist and many others.

WORD
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2015 at 7:50am

PCE!

Hendrix died in 1970 so he would be a 60s guitar god.
Also Pantera became huge after Cowboys from Hell so Dimebag would be a guitar god of the '90s.

I'll look up some name s of guitarists of some bands I listen to (I do not know them by heart) - ex. guitarist of Circus Maximus or Riverside's guitarist and many others.

Edited by LittleBig - 17 Jun 2015 at 8:08am
ManDog View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ManDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2015 at 7:42am

PCE!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic