MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A 1986 Albums Poll

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Pick a favorite (It's hard i know)
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [7.14%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [7.14%]
2 [14.29%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [7.14%]
3 [21.43%]
5 [35.71%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [7.14%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A 1986 Albums Poll
    Posted: 21 May 2015 at 1:29am
Initially, I wanted to make a '86-87 poll but '86 was such a great year for rock & metal, so that was it; and I know there are plenty more, you can mention them; there are some I haven't listened to in a long time (like Flotsam & Jetsam's debut for example), so that may be a reason why they are not here. Big smile

I hope Metallica and Slayer won't get all the votes.

Edited by LittleBig - 21 May 2015 at 4:29am
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2015 at 1:41am
I've ten of these - what a year! Metallica's Master Of Puppets is certaily the one that jumps out for me - one of metal's genuine classics.

"I hope Metallica and Slayer won't get all the votes." - Sorry Wink

Edited by Bosh66 - 21 May 2015 at 1:42am
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2015 at 1:45am
Now we´re talking. 1986 is like a cut off year for me, where all the most interesting music started being released (this is a purely subjective opinion). I´ve voted "Reign in Blood", because it´s been a personal favorite of mine for years and years, and I still haven´t gotten tired of it. Honorable mentions from the above list goes to Metallica, King Diamond, and Iron Maiden. There are lots of other great albums on the list (and probably a lot missing too), but those four are the ones I think stand out the most. 

I would probably have put Darkness Descends by Dark Angel on the list too. Such a Savage and fast-paced thrash metal release. I love that one, although it wouldn´t knock "Reign in Blood" off the throne.

Edited by UMUR - 21 May 2015 at 4:22am
Lynx33 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lynx33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2015 at 1:54am
qr rage for order. looking forward to 1987 poll, i have my favourite for that one too.
All that is over. Today, I know how to celebrate beauty.
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2015 at 3:01am
I've ignored the obvious ones and went for my "fan boy" band and classic Arch era release "Awaken The Guardian"

Opened the door to many that followed.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2015 at 4:23am
^Yeah "Awaken the Guardian" is a great album too.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2015 at 10:27am
I'm just going to have to go with Metallica. This was actually a bit easier then the 84-85 polls. Shocked 

Slayer, Helstar, Queensryche, Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Ozzy, and Metal Church aren't far behind though.

Edited by Unitron - 21 May 2015 at 10:27am
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2015 at 10:32am
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

Now we´re talking. 1986 is like a cut off year for me, where all the most interesting music started being released (this is a purely subjective opinion). I´ve voted "Reign in Blood", because it´s been a personal favorite of mine for years and years, and I still haven´t gotten tired of it. Honorable mentions from the above list goes to Metallica, King Diamond, and Iron Maiden. There are lots of other great albums on the list (and probably a lot missing too), but those four are the ones I think stand out the most. 

I would probably have put Darkness Descends by Dark Angel on the list too. Such a Savage and fast-paced thrash metal release. I love that one, although it wouldn´t knock "Reign in Blood" off the throne.

Oh shit...I just noticed that Candlemass debut is also present on the list. That one needs an honorable mention too. Great album Clap
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2015 at 5:54pm
Originally posted by Unitron Unitron wrote:

I'm just going to have to go with Metallica. This was actually a bit easier then the 84-85 polls. Shocked 

Slayer, Helstar, Queensryche, Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Ozzy, and Metal Church aren't far behind though.

LOL
"Before you see the light you must die!!!!!!!!!!" - Slayer

"Today is born the seventh one, born of woman, the seventh son" - Steve Harris
Dobbie03 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dobbie03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2015 at 3:02am
Reign In Blood.
Vic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2015 at 11:39am
Master of Puppets is my favorite album ever of any kind of music, so... sorry!

#2 would have been Flotsam and Jetsam - Doomsday for the Deceiver.

#3 Slayer

#4 King Diamond

#5 Candlemass

Iron Maiden
Darkness Descends
Pleasure to Kill
Awaken the Guardian
Crimson Glory
Rage for Order
The Dark

...are the runner ups.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2015 at 11:59am
I'm another who'll have to go for Master of Puppets, it was such an important album at the time and the best they ever made. The same can be said for Reign In Blood which would be my second choice. 1986 was a fantastic year and some of my other favourites were from Megadeth, Iron Maiden, Queensrhyche, Black Sabbath (the only one with Glenn Hughes on vocals which is vastly underatted IMO) and Matal Church.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2015 at 12:02pm

Oh shit...I just noticed that Candlemass debut is also present on the list. That one needs an honorable mention too. Great album Clap

Never discovered Candlemass until the following album Nightfall and surprisingly I've still never heard that debut album to this day. I should put that right.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2015 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

Never discovered Candlemass until the following album Nightfall and surprisingly I've still never heard that debut album to this day. I should put that right.

You definitely should. Personally I think it´s their strongest release, although the Messiah fronted albums were also great.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2015 at 1:37pm
^ You've convinced me.
Dobbie03 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dobbie03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2015 at 3:00pm
I personally rate Candlemass one of the top Doom bands of all time.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 1:01am
1. Megadeth
2. Slayer
3. Metallica
Vic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 6:50am
Posting to support the Candlemass debut as one of the best metal recordings ever. A Sorcerer's Pledge is one of my favorite songs ever, it's like their Hallowed Be Thy Name epic. But the entire album is just perfect. Even the very analog and with a touch of 70s sound of its production suits it perfectly.

The singer, Johan Langquist wasn't actualyl into metal at all, this was his first metal performance and it is brilliant how he got into the role so well.

And yes, Candlemass is the best doom metal band, along with Solitude Aeturnus. IMO.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic