0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [5.88%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A German Power Metal Poll
    Posted: 18 May 2015 at 5:43pm
German power metal bands. Pick your favourite...but of course, I someone didn't include your favourite for which I am sorry, pick the Other option and then tell us why they're so great. Hopefully though I didn't miss any of the scene's major acts.

For me I love a lot of these bands, but the one I have to vote for will always have to be Blind Guardian, my favourite band. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
DippoMagoo View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Power & Neo, Goth & Symph, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2015 at 5:50pm
This is a tough one for me. I might need to come back to it later, It's basically down to four bands: Blind Guardian, Freedom Call, Orden Ogan and Powerwolf. I've obviously been listening to the first of those for the longest time out of the four, but the other three have all given me some of my favorite albums of the last few years, so it's a hard choice.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2015 at 6:26pm
I'll have to think about it, but for me it's probably a tie between Helloween and Gamma Ray.
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2015 at 12:05am
I only listen to five bands from this long list

Blind Guardian
Helloween
Masterplan
Symphorce
Silent Force

I listen to just a bit of power metal these days
voted for Helloween.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2015 at 3:22am
Not exactly a genre I´m an Expert in or typically enjoy much, so I´ll have to go with Helloween because of their early output, which I find superb. Blind Guardian comes in as a close second for their mid-period releases (90s releases).
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2015 at 3:30am
Iron Savior, followed by Gamma Ray, Edguy, Helloween and Grave Digger (in no particular order).
Dobbie03 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dobbie03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2015 at 4:15am
I'm not big on Power Metal but I do like early Helloween and the first two Iced Earth.
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2015 at 5:00am
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2015 at 5:16am
^ Angel Dust is pretty great band, but it's not a simple power metal band,it's a lot more,  maybe this is why they are interesting. Clap

Edited by LittleBig - 19 May 2015 at 5:55am
Vic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2015 at 9:41am
Ι would add Brainstorm to the list. Some great albums with character.

The best german power metal bands for me are Helloween, Gamma Ray, Blind Guardian and Running Wild, followed by Rage. 

Helloween 1985-1988 are one of my favorite bands.
Gamma Ray 1990-1995 (plus up to 2004 I would say) are also one of my favorite bands (so, I usually say "Kai Hansen, when asked about my favorite bands). I think their 4 Ralf Scheepers albums are monumental, very original and very different. Land of the Free is the true Keeper of the Seven Keys part III. Nuff' said.

Blind Guardian 1988 - 2001 (emphasis 1990-1998) are one of my favorite bands. 

Running Wild 1987-1998 are one of my favorite bands and I find that they are getting increasingly underrated, people forget that they have a long streak of incredible songs, among the finest in the entire metal genre, we are talking Iron Maiden, King Diamond numbers and quality standards. Rock n' Rolf is an extremely underrated songwriter. Of course he has himself to blame for that...

I could vote for any of the four but I went for Gamma Ray, since they were my favorite band for a while.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2015 at 9:50am
I went with Gamma Ray, mainly because they're one the bands that got me into Power Metal.
Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2015 at 9:49pm
I'm gonna have to listen to a LOT more of these to say for sure, but for now, probably Iron Savior! Love their sci fi lyrics and vocals, and the incredibly melodic instrumentation! SO CATCHY!!Big smile
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2015 at 9:53pm
^Iron Savior kicks ass Big smile
Lynx33 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lynx33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2015 at 3:33pm
Stormwitch, though they're rather trad. hm.
All that is over. Today, I know how to celebrate beauty.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2015 at 12:29pm
I've a soft spot for Grave Digger so they get my vote. honourable mentions to Helloween and Gamma Ray.
powermetal2000 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powermetal2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2015 at 3:45pm
Lots of good bands here and several great ones too, but it has to be Blind Guardian. Not the most productive band out there but in terms of consistency there's few finer.
666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2015 at 5:15pm
There are a lot of bands I enjoy here, but I find it hard to ignore Blind Guardian on a list like this.
DippoMagoo View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Power & Neo, Goth & Symph, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2015 at 7:51pm
I had been holding off for a while, but the new Powerwolf album has made it clear I'm just so addicted to their formula, so I ended up voting for them.
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2015 at 9:34pm
Helloween, probably.

Edited by aglasshouse - 19 Jun 2015 at 9:34pm
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2015 at 1:29am
Love old school Helloween until they shit the bed with Pink Bubbles Go Ape, but I've always had a soft spot for Rage. 

It used to be one of my favourite message board baiting topics: name your favourite Rage album. Then you'd get young ones coming back with "the first one" or "Evil Empire", and "Tom Morello is such a good guitar player". Then I would come back with "Secrets In A Weird World" or "End Of Days" and "Tom Morello didn't play on those ones, which is why they are so good". 

I know, very childish, and someone my age should know better, but if I managed to direct even one clown trousered nu-metal fool in the right direction, then I've made the world a better place.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic