Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Interviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vreid (August 2013)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vreid (August 2013)
    Posted: 22 Apr 2015 at 12:36pm
This interview was originally conducted for my website Heavy Metal Haven and is now reproduced to MMA due to the site's closure. Some parts of the article may therefore need to be taken in context, including the date of the review, which will not be recent. 

Vreid, from Norway, were born out of the ashes of Windir following the tragic death of frontman Valfar. This year they released their sixth album, Welcome Farewell. Bassist Jarle "Hváll" Kvåle answered Heavy Metal Haven's questions.

Heavy Metal Haven: First off, congratulations on the release of your sixth album, Welcome Farewell, back in February. How has the album been received by your fanbase and critics so far?

Jarle "Hváll" Kvåle: Thanks. It gotten a fantastic response. Amazing reviews, great feedback. 

HMH: With the album now out, how does the current status of the band strike you? Is Vreid where you imagined/wanted it to be by this stage of your career?

Jarle: I never think of it like that. I just work on my music, release it and work as hard as possible with that. I am very pleased with the way things have worked with the band. 

HMH: I read that ‘vreid’ is the Norwegian word for ‘wrath’, what was the motivation behind choosing this as the band name?

Jarle: It was a word that described my music and state of mind when I started the band.

HMH: Vreid is a band that is usually described as a black metal band. This is a genre that’s always seemed to having something of a rift within it, on one side artists and fans who think the genre should stick to its roots, and while the other side is represented by those prepared to let it evolve into different forms. To my ears Vreid are on the latter side, is that something you’d agree with? Do you have any thoughts on the debate you’d care to share?

Jarle: I really dont give a fuck on this matter to be honest. I just create the music that I want to, and dont care how people describe or view it or how it belongs. I don't make music/lyrics to belong anywhere, I do it for myself. So this is a debate that don't interest me at all.

Vreid

HMH: A fair answer, good to hear an artist being true to themselves. 

HMH: Welcome Farewell is a paradoxical title if ever I saw one, what’s the meaning behind it/the song it’s taken from?

Jarle: Duality, respect, love, isolation & wondering are some keywords to the title/lyrics, maybe other people find other meanings...

HMH: How do you go about writing your music? What are your inspirations and thought processes when you write and have those changed through the years?

Jarle: I think I have become more isolated in the writing process. This album was created mostly alone, both in the writing process and in the mixing process. This suits me more and more, as I really appreciate to work alone. Inspirations are many, but nature, history & music are my main tools.

HMH: The artwork for Welcome Farewell depicts a very different image compared to that of your previous albums. Was the change brought about by something specific, like a change in direction or an overall theme featured on the album?

Jarle: I wanted something new, and I wanted to integrate the music even stronger with the artwork. For me artwork and lyrics is just as important for an album as the music. I worked closely with Kim Holm, and his work is spectacular. He visualized my music and lyrics in a way I never has experienced before. It was an extremely inspirational collaboration. 

Zoom in (real dimensions: 500 x 500)Image

HMH: And who is the artist behind the cover?

Jarle: The mentioned wizzard Kim Holm.

HMH: Do you have a favourite song from Welcome Farewell (mine would have to be At the Brook)?

Jarle: It differs, but The Reap & Sight of Old are 2 of the ones I enjoy the most.

HMH: A music video has been made and released for The Reap; was it an easy choice for the band and what motivated choosing it?

Jarle: Yes, I think its one of the best Vreid songs ever.

The Reap Music Video

HMH: I have to confess, Welcome Farewell is actually the first time I have heard your music, despite you being six albums in. For the sake of people like me who have discovered you through the new record, which out of your previous albums would you recommend people to get next?

Jarle: I think the album "V" could be a great introduction to the band. But I guess that depends on you taste. 

HMH: What are the band’s current plans for the remainder of 2013?

Jarle: So far we have toured Norway, Europe, North America, and got a couple of festivals left. Its been a hectic year, and now we are gone take some time off , but something is brewing for 2014..

HMH: 2014 will mark the ten year anniversary of the sad death of Valfar of your previous band Windir as well as ten years of Vreid. Do you think you’ll do anything special in memory of Valfar or to commemorate ten years of the band at this time?

Jarle: Time will tell....

HMH: Any recent albums (2012 – 2013 releases) that you’ve been listening to lately that you’d like to recommend to our community?

Jarle: The new Black Sabbath album is killer. Over the last month I have also rediscovered all the old Guns & Roses albums, what a fucking bunch of masterpices. Pure gold Jerry, Pure gold!!!

HMH: Thanks very much for taking your time to answer our questions, if you’d like to add anything, please feel free to do so:

Jarle: Thanks for your interest in Vreid.

Best Regards

Jarle Kvåle

Vreid on MMA: http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/artist/vreid

Vreid can be found online at:

http://www.vreid.no/
http://www.youtube.com/user/sturevreid
https://www.facebook.com/vreidofficial
https://twitter.com/vreidofficial
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
 Post Reply Post Reply