Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reviewers Block

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 12:10pm
Joking aside, RYM'ers give you a ton of peer pressure to not rate too highly or at least not to do it too often. Sometimes it seems like people on there never actually enjoy anything or even take the time to try to allow a release to open up to them (which we all know is a very real thing). It's no different on the movies section of the site.
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 12:17pm
^I´ve never noticed anything like that on RYM, but then Again, I don´t participate on their forum. Only one person has acted like a jerk to me, but in retrospect I was half to blame as I had flooded a lot of RYM inboxes with MMA propaganda...oh well I learned a leason (I was actually banned for a couple of weeks LOL), but the above mentioned jerk was just downright rude, instead of just letting me know that my behaviour wasn´t tolerated, he called me all sorts of nasty Things. Let´s just say, I´m pretty sure he wouldn´t have had the nerve to say it to my "real" face...a brave keyboard warrior he was that one Thumbs Down.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 12:29pm
Yeah, there's a hive mind mentality there that act like the top albums/movies are definitive (hence why the top 100 never really changes unless some new hyped album comes out) and you must like every one of those, but only give 5 stars to whatever their definition of "objectively perfect" is. I've never been able to understand it, and I'm glad I don't. And yeah, I'm not going to watch 2001: A Space Odyssey over and over again until I force myself to like it when I found it so boring the first time.

Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

4. But if you must break it it had better not be for fucking power metal. 

I'll add to that it better not be for a nu metal album that isn't Deftones, heaven forbid you love a nu metal album unless it's influenced by Shoegaze.
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by BitterJalapeno BitterJalapeno wrote:

I hope my reviews have been reasonable enough in their content thus far as I'm certainly not up to scratch on my metal knowledge to anywhere near the same depth as you fine people. I like to think i wouldn't consider reviewing something unless I felt comfortable enough to at least do it justice and report with some degree of accuracy.

I've been listening to metal in many various forms since the 1980s, but I have to admit when writing reviews a lot of my "metal knowledge" comes via Google search and Wikipedia.EmbarrassedLOL It's mostly little stuff like dates and band member names and shit like that.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 12:50pm
The thing is we have the internet these days and it takes very few seconds to search out some facts to at least do some bare bones research before you publish something. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

^I´ve never noticed anything like that on RYM, but then Again, I don´t participate on their forum. Only one person has acted like a jerk to me, but in retrospect I was half to blame as I had flooded a lot of RYM inboxes with MMA propaganda...oh well I learned a leason (I was actually banned for a couple of weeks LOL), but the above mentioned jerk was just downright rude, instead of just letting me know that my behaviour wasn´t tolerated, he called me all sorts of nasty Things. Let´s just say, I´m pretty sure he wouldn´t have had the nerve to say it to my "real" face...a brave keyboard warrior he was that one Thumbs Down.

This isn't on their forum, just people either making comments on release pages (where they may be missed by who they're aimed at) or if they're a little aggressive about it they'll make their way to your own shout box. 

I remember the time you were banned for a bit. Some sites are very aggressive about others promoting through them. Sometimes I'm surprised no one's reported me for having the MMA logo as my avatar. LOL Did I ever tell you that back in the days of Heavy Metal Haven I got banned from Twitter for sharing links to reviews to the artists? Apparently reviewing a band and tagging them in the Tweet was considered spam. I was eventually unbanned from the site but now it only gets used when I need to follow someone to get competition entries on various sites. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by Unitron Unitron wrote:

Yeah, there's a hive mind mentality there that act like the top albums/movies are definitive (hence why the top 100 never really changes unless some new hyped album comes out) and you must like every one of those, but only give 5 stars to whatever their definition of "objectively perfect" is. I've never been able to understand it, and I'm glad I don't. And yeah, I'm not going to watch 2001: A Space Odyssey over and over again until I force myself to like it when I found it so boring the first time.

Oh good I'm not the only one who was bored by that movie. Though perhaps not as much as Stalker, their current #10. 

I've seen all their top 10 and most of them are movies I either loved or at least really liked. But 2001 and Stalker were like watching paint dry for me. 
GG2U

666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 2:14pm

The five rules of RYM:
  1. Do not give high ratings. Trust us, it's not that good. 
  2. If you 'must' break rule one (we say with a sneer of utter contempt), you better make sure you cap your next rating no matter how good you think it is. Even if it's better than the album you broke the rule for. Even 4 stars would be pushing your luck at this point. 
  3. It's just better if you don't break rule one to start with.
  4. But if you must break it it had better not be for fucking power metal. 
  5. Actually just be a miserable stick in the mud and never enjoy music ever again. 

I feel like we could make a much longer list than this of RYM satire. 
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 2:18pm

Oh good I'm not the only one who was bored by that movie. Though perhaps not as much as Stalker, their current #10. 

I've seen all their top 10 and most of them are movies I either loved or at least really liked. But 2001 and Stalker were like watching paint dry for me. 

2001 seems like a total "you had to be there" kind of movie. Like I'm sure if I was around to watch it back when it came out in 1968 or whatever, it would've been mind-blowing to see all those admittedly realistic and impressive shots of space. However, now there's so many awesome real shots taken from space, it doesn't impress as much now and it's light on plot making it appear as that was the main draw of the film. There's only about 1/4 of the movie that really drives a suspenseful plot and feeling like a space thriller that I wish it was.
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 2:23pm
I feel like 2001 is a film I'm glad I've seen, but I'm not really interested in re-watching it, at least not for a long time. The greatest movies of all time should be ones you can watch and watch and watch and be endlessly entertained. I can't in all honesty say that's true of 2001 for me. 

The score is bloody good though. More iconic than the film for me. 
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 3:12pm
It's a movie I have the nagging feeling I should try again one day, but I'm not in a rush to do so. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 3:31am
Been thinking. Negative reviews do have their place. So long as you go in with an open mind and your opinion is honest and not the result of an agenda. Mostly I'd rather talk about music I like, but sometimes there's an album that simply riles me up and makes me want to tear it a new one. 
GG2U

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 9:28am

Been thinking. Negative reviews do have their place. So long as you go in with an open mind and your opinion is honest and not the result of an agenda. Mostly I'd rather talk about music I like, but sometimes there's an album that simply riles me up and makes me want to tear it a new one. 
Yeah exactly. Just as long as there´s no agenda for writing a negative review, then please do so. As many different opinions as possible about a release are welcome, and only gives the readers a better and more broader perspective to judge an album by.

I once wrote a review of an old krautrock Classic on PA, where I compared the quality of the music to a monkey painting a Picture with its dick (or something like that), and while that´s not the most respectful thing to write, it came from the Heart and was my honest opinion, and while I would probably not phrase my opinions that bluntly these days, it´s still a Little funny thinking back on that review LOL.

Edited by UMUR - 23 Sep 2020 at 9:30am
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 10:03am
Well there’s an image that I’m struggling to get rid of 😂
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

I compared the quality of the music to a monkey painting a Picture with its dick (or something like that)

That is a truly inspirational turn of phrase!LOL
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 12:29pm

2001 seems like a total "you had to be there" kind of movie. Like I'm sure if I was around to watch it back when it came out in 1968 or whatever, it would've been mind-blowing to see all those admittedly realistic and impressive shots of space. However, now there's so many awesome real shots taken from space, it doesn't impress as much now and it's light on plot making it appear as that was the main draw of the film. There's only about 1/4 of the movie that really drives a suspenseful plot and feeling like a space thriller that I wish it was.

2001 makes so much more sense after you've read the book. Like the movie, the ending is a bit drawn out and a bit of a yawn. However, I went on and read the rest of the quadrilogy, and it was quite a satisfying story all up. The movie sequel 2010 is actually better than it might seem too.
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 11:27am

I'd heard a single from this when they were suggested here and your review encouraged me not to bother with the rest of the album despite Russell Allen's involvement. I knew from the combination of both that I wouldn't like the album. 

This is the thing, if you trust a reviewer, as I trust many who post here on MMA, then you can trust that when they do give something a bashing that its an honest opinion. With the RYM crowd and the 'don't give high ratings' mentality you perhaps do know on the rare occasion that they allow themselves to like something, but they give you little distinction between the solid and perfectly acceptable and the actual crap. With that site you have to work that anything averaging even slightly over the 3 star mark is a gem. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic