MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Symphony X appreciation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2010 at 1:20pm
^I agree with Jeff. Progressive Power Metal. I think power metal is a really good fit as I find that their music have more similarities to US Power Metal ( attitude/ image, lyrics and also music) than to progressive metal. There�s no doubt they are progressive though.
The Angry Scotsman View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2010 at 8:17pm
Ah. That's just where I'm a stickler....I don't do progressive "x" metal.

That's why I just have em labeled as prog metal LOL
And true, I know you've said before you see a distinction between US power metal and the other kind.
I guess it's not a big deal. I just see a good amount of neo classical and prog is all.

All I know is they are an amazing band! I believe they are working on a new album. Can they possibly score a 3rd masterpiece in a row!?
Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer and Testament. The real Big Four of thrash metal!

Listen to doom metal, worship Satan
The Block View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Block Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 7:04pm
I just got V for Christmas, and I am really enjoying it.

Edited by The Block - 11 Jan 2011 at 6:51pm

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2011 at 5:08pm
Going to see them in April!

Can't wait! Also with them is Nevermore, another of my favorite bands, and Soilwork....though I'll just block them out.
I am so excited.

Been listening to Symph X a bit lately and I still love them. All their albums are good, except the first one which has great music but the vocals KILL it!
They need Russel Allen to redo the vocals for that album and it would be superb.

The Block View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Block Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2011 at 5:14pm
Where are you seeing them?

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2011 at 2:19am
I wish they would come to Denmark. I haven�t had the chance yet to see Symphony X ( Or Nevermore for that matter, which is even worse for me).
martindavey87 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Error & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martindavey87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 5:30am
My second favourite band of all time. Absolutely amazing!
The Block View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Block Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 8:30am
^ I'm guessing DT is your favorite? Tongue

Andyman1125 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyman1125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 8:46am
The second prog metal band I ever got into! Love 'em.
Favorite albums:
1. Paradise Lost
2. V
3. Divine Wings of Tragedy
4. The Odyssey
5. The other 3 (weren't as good LOL)

Edited by andyman1125 - 17 Jan 2011 at 8:47am
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2011 at 3:12am
Originally posted by The Block The Block wrote:

Where are you seeing them?

In New York City.

Sadly, we can't meet up in Philly...though my cousin is seeing them there.

For someone who never gets out to concerts I shall see Agalloch and Symphy X/Nevermore in a short span!

Sorry to hear man Cry I'm quite excited for Nevermore as well. One of my favorite bands, though was a bit disappointed with the newest album.

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2011 at 3:13am
One of my absolute favorites by them, and the definition of "prog metal"

Andyman1125 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyman1125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2011 at 5:28pm
Love that Duology (Part II on The Odyssey is amazing too)
topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2011 at 1:04am
I have Odyssey and Paradise Lost and I enjoy them both. Not really looking to get any more from them, but certainly a band with worthy musicianship. I guess power metal generally my favorite though anyway, but SX is hardly a standard power band.
Lost respect for these archives when I saw Creed added, among other bands. Not going to be foruming here anymore. You can keep my reviews if you want.
Pelata View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pelata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2011 at 6:39pm
To me, the best thing about Symphony X is Russell Allen. Not that the songs or the musicians in the band aren't really good, it's just that to my ears Russell Allen is what makes a potentially good band great!

The first Symphony X album I ever heard was Twilight In Olympus. Now, I know that this album is considered a low point in their catalog, but it was my introduction to the band. Russell Allen's voice was mind-blowing! He's like a blend of Steve Walsh (Kansas) and Ronnie James Dio! His range and delivery were, and still are, spine-tingling!

Years ago I wrote a review of a Jorn Lande album for Digitalmetal.com and in it I made the statement that both Jorn and Russell Allen were future legends in the Metal world. Years later, Frontiers Records graced us with the first Allen Lande album, IMO proving me right.

The Damnation Game is probably my favorite album.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2011 at 11:42pm
Yeah Allen is one of my favorite vocalists period.

And if anyone needs proof of his significance...listen to their first album! The music is pretty awesome but the vocals are horrid.

Oh, and as for Symph X being power metal...it is something I could never really stomach. Prog metal for sure, IMO (granted with some power elements).

Edited by The Angry Scotsman - 25 Jan 2011 at 11:43pm

Pelata View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pelata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2011 at 9:49am
Yeah, the vocals on that first album are pretty terrible. Russell Allen elevated their appeal 1000x, IMO.

As for Prog vs. Power, I'm kind of on the fence. They certainly have strong roots in neo-classical Power Metal, but they do inject a certain degree of technical prowess into the arrangements at times. In spite of that, I can't quite place the Prog Metal tag on them exclusively...but they sure don't sound like Helloween...haha!
rushfan4 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors and Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2011 at 10:52am
Yesterday I was listening to a local Michigan band called Adenalin that used to be really big here in the early to mid-80's with local radio play and TV appearances.  I wasn't quite old enough to see them play in the local bars back then.  At any rate, their guitarist's name is Michael Romeo.  They later went on to form a band called DC Drive.  I read somewhere that Symphony X's Michael Romeo got his start with DC Drive, but I think that this was wrong and that they are two different guys. 

Edited by rushfan4 - 26 Jan 2011 at 10:54am
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2011 at 2:29pm
We've (my brother, friend and I) always contemplated writing them asking to do a re-master of the debut album. Or at least just have Allen re do the vocals with his own.

Would be a thousand times better!
The music is pretty cool but I can't even listen to it...Cry

Pelata View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pelata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2011 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by The Angry Scotsman The Angry Scotsman wrote:

We've (my brother, friend and I) always contemplated writing them asking to do a re-master of the debut album. Or at least just have Allen re do the vocals with his own.

Like how Iced Earth did Days Of Purgatory...just re-record old vocals...
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2011 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by Pelata Pelata wrote:

Originally posted by The Angry Scotsman The Angry Scotsman wrote:

Like how Iced Earth did Days Of Purgatory...just re-record old vocals...

Did they? Honestly I know little of Iced Earth.
But yeah, Symph X + Allen on vocals would make that album loads better.

Also, another of my favorites.

The re-done version with Allen! So awesome.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic