Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Your music collections

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2019 at 6:46am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

I tried a by genre system for my Cds once. It didn't work. Could never get around how to handle artists who've changed styles. I'm rather OCD when it comes to filing. I can't have a prog metal section and then sleep soundly with albums like later Opeth/Damnation in there or Helloween's Chameleon under a power metal section. My (admittedly undiagnosed) OCD won't allow it. 

I'd file them under their predominat style. All my Opeth albums are under metal even though they aren't a metal band anymore. That might have to change a few albums down the line.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2019 at 6:59am
I just file EVERYTHING alphabetically with the exception of classical music which is a fucking nightmare. Instead of performers i file under composer so Mozart, Bach, Chopin etc.

Unfortunately i've run out of room so a few letters of the alphabet sit in boxes :(
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2019 at 7:11am
I used to do that but by splitting it i can have the genres i listen to most (metal and prog) close to the hi-fi. 
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 2:27am
Got a few coming in from different places but whatever CD arrives here next will mark number 1000 in my collection. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 2:30am
👏🏻
Your blog will be going on for some time then 😉

Edited by Bosh66 - 29 Jun 2020 at 2:31am
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 3:36am
And the honour goes to:

GG2U

Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 3:43am
Not played that in a long time. Decent album from what I recall.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 3:45am
I've really been getting into Ihsahn's solo work lately. Third one I've picked up with one more still in the post. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 8:35am
And lo and behold number 1000 doesn't fucking work. Angry
GG2U

Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 3:26pm
^ Bummer. Amazingly that's never happened to me. I did get a CD once that was fixed so tightly in the case that when I tried to get it out it bent that much it snapped! 

Back in the day it used to be a pretty regular occurence getting faulty vinyl but since its resurgence they seem to be taking greater care over pressings so haven't had to send one back for a long time.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 4:19pm
Some cases are ridiculous. My old disc copy of The Elder Scrolls IV was replaced twice due to the case being so tight each time that the disc cracked trying to get in on and off the spindle. Thank God for Steam these days. 

I've had a few CDs not work when I received them, though it happens more often with DVDs (not so much blu-ray but they're not immune either despite being more scratch resistant). My copy of Cowboys From Hell is buggered up because I dropped my old Sony Walkman with it playing inside. This one though, I think it may have early signs of disc rot. Lots of little pitted marks on the playing surface as well as scratching and it won't even rip to mp3 cleanly. Sometimes it plays from disc and sometimes it doesn't. Not worth the gamble on keeping as it'll probably deteriorate more over time if I'm right about the disc rot. It's heading back to the seller tomorrow. Personally if it were me for the low price paid for it (just £3.40 including P&P) I'd have just refunded if a buyer of mine said this rather than have to pay the return shipping myself, but they're insisting on it coming back so they're probably going to dillydally on the refund to add insult to injury. 

Well, I guess this makes this one my real 1000th album. It arrived the same time, but I opened angL's package first.

GG2U

Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 6:53am
I thought disc rot was a thing of the past, only happening to certain earlier CD's from particular pressing plants. Clearly not the case. Think I've only had one that suffered from it. 
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 8:58am
I don't think it's common but no media is considered completely immune from it.

I think one other of mine has it because the data on the disc is just gone. Won't even register in a machine any more or in a CD ROM drive. Luckily I always rip my CDs as soon as I get them so I haven't lost the music but the disc itself is basically just an expensive coaster now. 
GG2U

Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 9:08am
My copy of Highway by Free has turned from a silver to blotchy gold colour on the label side and some dull marks have appeared on the playing side. It still played last time I tried it (about 6 months ago) but suspect it might be on its way out.

a bit ironic that the format CD's were supposed to replace and were considered indestructable is likely to outlive them. Vinyl doesn't get disc rot. as long as it's looked after should last indefinitely.

Edited by Nightfly - 30 Jun 2020 at 9:11am
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

I thought disc rot was a thing of the past, only happening to certain earlier CD's from particular pressing plants. Clearly not the case. Think I've only had one that suffered from it. 

I've had it happen to older CDs. In particular, my copy of Chaos AD, and SYL's City, which I bought when they were first released in the mid-90s. Also Anthrax's Persistence of Time died for no reason I could see, but I bought that several years after it's release. It might have been an old pressing.

I also have a live Slayer bootleg which only plays the first couple of songs, and then seems to have a fungus or something growing across the disc. It looks like a culture in a petri dish. Serves me right for buying a bootleg.LOL

And then there was Wednesday 13's Fang Bang. I couldn't get it out of the CD player after we had a car crash.Cry
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

I've had it happen to older CDs. In particular, my copy of Chaos AD, and SYL's City, which I bought when they were first released in the mid-90s. Also Anthrax's Persistence of Time died for no reason I could see, but I bought that several years after it's release. It might have been an old pressing.

I also have a live Slayer bootleg which only plays the first couple of songs, and then seems to have a fungus or something growing across the disc. It looks like a culture in a petri dish. Serves me right for buying a bootleg.LOL

LOL I've bought a few bootlegs, all still okay I think. 

Must admit I have CD's that haven't been played for years - I have over 2000 of the buggers so wouldn't be surprised if there's a few dodgy ones lurking somewhere.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic