MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - How much are you willing to pay for a music album?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How much are you willing to pay for a music album?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valdis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How much are you willing to pay for a music album?
    Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 2:49pm
In my case from 0 (LOL) to 12€. I'd make an exception if it were an album that I love or a special edition, but pay more is a robbery for me.
The most expensive album that I have is Jason Becker's Perpetual Burn, which my uncle gave me as a present (20€). It was really difficult to get it in Madrid.

Edited by Valdis - 19 Apr 2015 at 2:52pm
Rely on nothing under heaven.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 3:00pm
Most I'm paid recently was about £13, which was because I could only get the album direct from the band. That price included the shipping from the US to the UK though. The actual album's price was $12 (£8).

I usually get my (newer release) albums for between £7 - £10. 

What I'm willing to pay though at the end of the day is determined by one thing: how much I want it. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 3:09pm
I paid about £25 for an early Buzzcocks record, but that's about it.
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 3:28pm
I normally wouldn't pay more than $20 for a regular CD, but Japanese bands make me pay a little more.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 3:32pm
I try and buy albums that are in the 0-15$ range, but I will pay over 15$ for an independently released album or a double-album if I have to.
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 3:39pm
I'm willing to shell out for limited edition stuff or box sets/albums with dvds/etc.  I'm also typically willing to pay more for artists I know aren't rich
Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 4:37pm
I don't mind paying for most prices.
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2015 at 9:55am
Depends whether you mean new or not and on what format.

I've paid very little for an album from a "bin" to a few hundred quid for a rarity on vinyl.
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CPicard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2015 at 10:16am
It would depend on the format and the circumstances: a CD isn't really expensive to produce. So, I can be shocked by some prices in the record stores: sometimes, I think that 20 euros for a CD in a big record store is too much, even when I know it's a long chain from the recording studios to the retailers: the toll of the managers, the toll of the distributors (and the truck drivers), the toll of the store, etc...
But I bought a lot of CDs at concerts, which costed me 10 euros (roughly $10 and £7.20).

If we're talking about LPs, I would go as far as calling to thievery! I can't understand why some LPs are sold 25 euros (or even more!) and some others are sold at 12 to 15 euros - for the same length of music!
For example, I remember that, in the mid-90's, in France, a CD would cost 100 francs (15 euros), but LPs were sold under the price of 70 francs (11 euros and some cents).
So, it means that LPs are now sold at a more expensive price that 20 years ago... depending on the band, the label, and the speculation.

To make it short: 10 euros for a CD; 12 euros for a LP.
RRROOOAAARRR!!! - Vo�vod, II-1, 1986 B.C.
powermetal2000 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powermetal2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2015 at 4:32pm
I like to support artists, but my wallet had its limits so I always shop around for a deal, even if it means I have to wait a while to get something. I typically pay up to £10, often I eventually manage to find things for less though. I have been known to pay more for a double album or something that is hard to find.

However I never buy in record stores. Online prices are so much better. Strange thing though is its often cheaper to import than buy domestically.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2015 at 4:36pm
Probably $50 USD is my limit. No matter how much i like it i would rather buy a bunch of other music for the price of one! My theory is eventually everything will get re--released and most stuff can be heard online at least. THere are some exceptions of course
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2015 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by powermetal2000 powermetal2000 wrote:

Strange thing though is its often cheaper to import than buy domestically.

I find this as well, only trouble is the long delivery times after you're actually bought something. I have a few albums coming from the US right now. The time it takes from things to arrive can be pretty random. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2015 at 5:20pm
Something else as well, I find that EP's are really expensive! I've been wanting to get Purson's last EP since it came out but there's no way I'm paying the same price for it as I would a full-length when its just four songs. 
GG2U

Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2015 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Something else as well, I find that EP's are really expensive! I've been wanting to get Purson's last EP since it came out but there's no way I'm paying the same price for it as I would a full-length when its just four songs. 

I really hate that, it seems like it happens quite often. Myrkur's EP is pretty expensive as well, I was lucky enough though to pick up a copy for a decent price at a music store in Syracuse.
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2015 at 3:24am
Depends on how great and well received the band and album are
"Before you see the light you must die!!!!!!!!!!" - Slayer

"Today is born the seventh one, born of woman, the seventh son" - Steve Harris
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2015 at 10:43am
For a special edition Cd with bonus disc etc I'd pay up to around £15 and on vinyl up to £20 but for a single cd I can usually get it for no more than £10. I have occasionally paid more for something I really wanted that's out of print.

I have been paying almost £100 a go for the Led Zeppelin deluxe remaster box sets that are gradually being released but obviously that's something a bit special.
ManDog View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ManDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 1:05pm
Usually no more than 10 - 12 bucks - unless it has additional content (2 discs, DVD, pamphlets, poster etc).
I'm still into CDs.

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2015 at 3:10am
I buy heaps of cheap stuff now- $10-12NZD. Will occasionally go and drop $100+ at a shot and get 10 CDs at once, but that usually includes a few bargain bin $2-5 CDs.

The most I ever spent on one item was $120 for Metallica's Binge & Purge in the old footlocker thing. I once accidentally spent about $50 on Morbid Angel's Altars of Madness when I lived in South Korea, and I messed up the exchange rate (most CDs were $15-20 at the time).
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2015 at 9:31am
At Christmas some years back my brother had said he wanted a particular P J Harvey album so my Mum went on Amazon to buy it. Amazon were selling it for around £2.99 but one of the other sellers had it listed for £22 2nd hand for some crazy reason. She decided to get the £22 as she thought she was getting something more for her money. bet that seller couldn't believe his luck! LOL
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2015 at 9:38am
LOL sounds like the kind of scam I'd have fallen for. Always wondered whether these sellers selling goods at over-inflated prices ever got away with it. Now we know!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic