MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Report errors & omissions here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBlind Guardian albums in thrash

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Banned

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blind Guardian albums in thrash
    Posted: 12 Apr 2015 at 3:36pm
While I have already had it explained to me that Blind Guardian have releases in thrash metal because speed metal is considered a part of thrash metal on this site, I still disagree with this placement.

Early Blind Guardian releases are both speed metal and power metal and yes, they are more speed metal than power metal. But they are still more power metal than thrash metal, which Blind Guardian isn't at all. Yet they have thrash metal tags on their page, which is incorrect. It makes no sense.

So if a speed metal tag can't be selected, then I think those releases should be placed in power metal.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2015 at 3:41pm
I don't really have anything to add here other than what I already told you on the band's profile. I do see where you are coming from on this, but it's simply site policy that speed metal is an inclusive of thrash metal. If the thrash metal team agreed then I wouldn't be against those releases being placed under power metal, as a member of the power metal team. Maybe one of the thrash metal team will chime in here with an opinion as well. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2015 at 3:43pm
I'd be fine with the move too if the thrash team is okay with it.
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
powermetal2000 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Banned

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2015 at 3:44pm
What doesn't make sense to me is that speed metal is closer to power metal than thrash metal, surely speed metal if it can't have it's own tag here (why can't it, by the way?) should be in with power metal anyway?
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2015 at 3:46pm
I think that depends on the band actually. Speed metal is considered a progenitor of both power and thrash metal. I wasn't around this site at its very start, so I presume that the site owners simply made a decision about where it should go, which, to answer your question, would have also involved the decision on whether it got its own sub or was bundled in with something else. 
GG2U

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2015 at 4:15pm
I´ve always thought of Blind Guardian as a power metal act, and yes those early releases are also speed metal oriented (which in most cases would make them eligible to be in the thrash metal sub on MMA). Personally I don´t care if they are placed in one or the other, as they are pretty borderline if we follow the criterias set for the genres, but I guess I´m leaning towards power metal if I have to have an opinion. I´d like to hear what Kim says about it though.
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2015 at 4:44pm
The first Blind Guardian albums are speed metal albums, and at MMA, speed metal is included under thrash metal. That's why they're under thrash and not power metal. That's site policy!
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2015 at 5:13pm
OK I've thought about this a bit harder:

An important thing to remember is that the European branch of power metal that Blind Guardian belongs to starts in 1987 with Helloween's Keeper of the Seven Keys Part 1 and so bands that were playing similar music at the time were considered speed metal, including Helloween themselves for releases prior to Keeper 1, so early Blind Guardian releases do show a gradual turn towards what we now accept as power metal, as they no doubt became more influenced by the emerging sound rather than what came before. 

Also the bulk of Battalions of Fear is based on material from the second Lucifer's Heritage demo, which predates the birth of Euro power metal. And I don't think Follow the Blind is different enough to put that as the turning point to power metal over Tales from the Twilight World. 

I will reiterate that I don't think those albums would be wrong in power metal either, but having considered the above, they should probably remain in thrash. I do understand your point that having thrash on their profile isn't technically correct though. 
GG2U

Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2015 at 6:09pm
Yes, a speed metal sub would be the most appropriate genre for those first albums (would be a much better fit than both power metal and thrash metal)... but we don't have that sub, hence the policy that speed metal releases are included under thrash.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2015 at 6:51am
I don't think there's anymore that can be added here so I will close this. All I can say is that those releases will stay in thrash for now, but if we get a speed metal sub at any point we will of course move them. 
GG2U

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic