MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Opinions on Carcass

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dobbie03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Opinions on Carcass
    Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 10:32pm
I love Carcass, I always get this really excited feeling when I listen to them, and it's not like I discovered Carcass just yesterday, its a good 15 years ago.  I just really rate Carcass, what are your guys thoughts?
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 10:40pm
I've never heard Carcass, I really should though. Any recommendation for what album to start with? 
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
Dobbie03 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dobbie03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 10:42pm
Originally posted by Unitron Unitron wrote:

I've never heard Carcass, I really should though. Any recommendation for what album to start with? 

Shocked

Man you need to get on that Tongue.  Start with Heartwork I suppose but if you are a fan of early Death/Grind then start with Symphonies of Sickness or Reek of Putrefaction.

Just be aware their first few albums/ep's have pretty rough production but don't let that put you off :)

I normally start with a band from the first album, I love seeing how they progress after each album.

Edited by Dobbie03 - 10 Apr 2015 at 10:44pm
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 10:53pm
^I also enjoy hearing a band progress from album to album, and I've been enjoying Grind recently so I think I'll start with their first album. Thumbs Up
Dobbie03 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dobbie03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 10:56pm
Good stuff.  Let me know what you think.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 11:17pm
So far I like it, like you said the debut has a pretty bad production but it doesn't actually bother me too much. The debut so far is kind of a hit and miss, some songs are stronger then others. The opening first few are all awesome. I suspect I'll enjoy the later albums more though. Thumbs Up
Dobbie03 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dobbie03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 11:30pm

So far I like it, like you said the debut has a pretty bad production but it doesn't actually bother me too much. The debut so far is kind of a hit and miss, some songs are stronger then others. The opening first few are all awesome. I suspect I'll enjoy the later albums more though. Thumbs Up

They only get better as they go on.   I have no issues with the production either, adds to the atmosphere.

Edited by Dobbie03 - 10 Apr 2015 at 11:31pm
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2015 at 12:29am
I really enjoyed their second album, awesome grind/death combination. Loving their third, amazing death metal album. Thumbs Up
Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2015 at 12:31am
Haven't got around to them yet, but will eventually!
Dobbie03 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dobbie03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2015 at 1:53am

I really enjoyed their second album, awesome grind/death combination. Loving their third, amazing death metal album. Thumbs Up

Yup, wait until you get to Heartwork. 
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2015 at 7:21am
My personal favorite is Necroticism. The most interesting thing about Carcass is that they developed their sound between each of their five original albums, which makes each album a Unique listen. Surgical Steel is the only Carcass album that´s a bit retro in sound, but if you enjoy the three 90s Carcass albums it´s a great combination of the sound on those.
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2015 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

My personal favorite is Necroticism. The most interesting thing about Carcass is that they developed their sound between each of their five original albums, which makes each album a Unique listen. Surgical Steel is the only Carcass album that´s a bit retro in sound, but if you enjoy the three 90s Carcass albums it´s a great combination of the sound on those.

Good assessment.  I still need to listen to their debut though. Embarrassed
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2015 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by Dobbie03 Dobbie03 wrote:

Yup, wait until you get to Heartwork. 

Listening to it now, also an amazing album. This and 'Necroticism' are definitely becoming two of my favorite death metal albums. Thumbs Up
Dobbie03 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dobbie03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2015 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

My personal favorite is Necroticism.

Also my favourite, though it was Heartwork for a very long time then one day Necroticism clicked with me 100%.

Edited by Dobbie03 - 11 Apr 2015 at 2:00pm
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2015 at 6:54am
^Necroticism was the latest album by Carcass when I got into them, so maybe it´s something about the first love thing. Heartwork never really clicked with me, although I do acknowledge that it´s a great quality release. When I decide to listen to it, it always comes off after a couple of tracks though. Just not my poison I guess.
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2015 at 9:00am
I love Carcass. Necroticism is their best album IMO, but I really dig Heartwork, too and Surgical Steel is an amazing comeback album. The two first albums are interesting, and, though it's hard to hear what the fuck is going on Reek, you could still hear that this was a band with talent and an interesting take on grindcore. A lot of people dislike Swansong because it's more or a traditional heavy metal album, but I actually quite enjoy that album too - more so than Reek, and probably also a bit more than Symphonies. Swansong is nowhere as awesome to me as Necroticism, Heartwork, and Steel, but I think there are some pretty good hard rocking songs on Swansong that I find really enjoyable, such as 'Keep On Rotting In The Free World' and 'Tomorrow Belongs To Nobody'.

As for Steel having a bit of a retro sound, I must say that I hear thrash metal and NWoBHM elements on Steel that I haven't noticed on thier 90s albums. So, to me, Steel kinda both looks backwards and forwards.
Dobbie03 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dobbie03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2015 at 3:29pm
Heartwork was my first album and was the only one I listened to for a long time.  Necroticism took over as my favourite after it finally clicked with me.

Surgical Steel is an amazing comeback, of course there are the people that will never accept it as a good album but I leave that as their own problem.
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2015 at 4:14pm

Surgical Steel is an amazing comeback, of course there are the people that will never accept it as a good album but I leave that as their own problem.

Can't disagree with this.
Dobbie03 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dobbie03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2015 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by Bosh66 Bosh66 wrote:

I can't understand why people get their tits in a tangle with bands releasing new albums after a long period and these albums don't meet this apparent perceived level of greatness their previous classic albums achieved.

At The Gates, Gorguts, Morgoth, Carcass to name a few all had a huge gap in between albums and people are expecting them to....well I don't know what they expect.  Can they not take the album for what it is?? Can they not be happy that these bands are putting new material out for us all to enjoy??
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2015 at 5:11pm

Originally posted by Bosh66 Bosh66 wrote:

I can't understand why people get their tits in a tangle with bands releasing new albums after a long period and these albums don't meet this apparent perceived level of greatness their previous classic albums achieved.

At The Gates, Gorguts, Morgoth, Carcass to name a few all had a huge gap in between albums and people are expecting them to....well I don't know what they expect.  Can they not take the album for what it is?? Can they not be happy that these bands are putting new material out for us all to enjoy??

I agree completely. With Carcass in particular, this is a band who reinvent themselves with each release, so it makes a lot of sense to me that their comeback album should not be a complete clone of their past releases.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic