MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Where does the hate for punk rock come from?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where does the hate for punk rock come from?
    Posted: 25 Mar 2015 at 12:24am
I'm legitimately curious......never understood it.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2015 at 1:36am
I've never understood it either, punk has had a huge influence on rock music especially sludge, stoner and thrash metal bands. Maybe it's because some people think it was just rebellious for the sake of it, but there's much more to it then that. I really like a good number of punk bands, Sex Pistols, The Clash, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Green Day, etc.

Edited by Unitron - 25 Mar 2015 at 1:36am
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
Dobbie03 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dobbie03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2015 at 1:59am
I'm not sure either, I don't mind punk, but saying that I can't stand The Clash.  They make me cringe everytime I hear them.  I love Green Day, have done since I first heard them when I was about 14.
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2015 at 2:39am
Absolutely love punk. Was at the Stranglers at the weekend, supported by The Rezillos and The Membranes. Shit it was heavy. Great gig though and even though she's getting on Faye Fife was still a flirty little minx with a gorgeous Scottish accent when I was chatting to her before the main event. Tickets for the Buzzcocks already bought - not seen them for years either. The Stranglers switched repeatedly from more punk numbers to extended proggy pieces. Twas fab.

There's so much in punk which should appeal to metal and heavy rock fans. Most metalheads I know do have a soft spot for the genre though, I reckon.

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2015 at 2:54am
I like punk too. Usually the more hardcore punk artists, but Classic acts like Sex Pistols, The Exploited, Misfits, and Dead Kennedys also greatly appeal to me. Of the more melodic oriented acts I´ve been a fan of Bad Religion for years.
Valdis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valdis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2015 at 4:57am
I don't know. I also like punk. When I was younger I listened to a lot of punk bands and I think that this genre has contributed a lot to the development of music.
Rely on nothing under heaven.
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2015 at 1:24pm
I do enjoy punk too, now anyways.

Back in the seventies my best mate was a punk but we had to separate when groups met.

Crazy as it may sound now when genres have successfully integrated, back then music fans were pretty genre specific.

You were either a metalhead, skin, punk, rude boy, mod, smooth....

...and when they met there were typically fireworks! ...and not the type used on November 5th Smile

Bank Holiday Mondays were still a big thing in the seventies, commonly a problem in the sixties but bikers and metalheads tended to group against skins, punks and mods at seaside venues across England.

Not sure this was what you were looking for but its another angle to view it from.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2015 at 1:31pm
I had a passing interest in punk. I own one Offspring album which I still think has some good songs on it. But they never grabbed me enough to explore the genre further. There's one punk band that's on my list of bands I absolutely cannot stand and that's Blink-182. But other than them I don't hate punk. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2015 at 1:34pm
^I've never been able to stand Blink-182 either. Dead
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2015 at 3:27pm
I like punk quite a bit. Minor Threat, Husker Du, Sex Pistols, The Damned, The Ramones, etc. I don't like much pop punk, however. Neither Blink-182 nor Green Day do anything for me. 

However, I have to say I like punk and hardcore punk's offshoots exponentially more. Post-punk and post-hardcore hit special spots for me. 
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2015 at 3:49pm
I'll feel left out if I don't put on record my dislike of Blink 182 also.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2015 at 3:54pm
Ha ha I loathe them too Cool
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2015 at 4:24pm
^^^I've never seen Green Day as pop-punk, they have some pretty hard-rocking songs like 'Hitching a Ride'. 

This thread is on it's way to becoming the Blink-182 hatred thread. Evil Smile
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2015 at 4:28pm
I think Green Day is the epitome of pop punk. They were the first band of the more melodic punk ilk (from the early ninities punk revival) which achieved great Commercial success followed by The Offspring. I´m not saying it´s a bad thing or anything like that, but their accessibility and flair for pop melodies make them pop punk to my ears.

Edited by UMUR - 26 Mar 2015 at 4:28pm
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2015 at 4:36pm
^That is true, they are very accessible. I guess it's just when I think of Green Day I immediately think of 'Hitching a Ride', which is my favorite and pretty heavy for Green Day. However, I don't think American Idiot could be called a pop-punk album seeing as making 9-minute long songs doesn't really fit into accessible criteria. LOL 

Oh, forgot to mention Irish punk bands like Flogging Molly and Dropkick Murphys, can't forget them. Cool

Edited by Unitron - 26 Mar 2015 at 7:23pm
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2015 at 11:52pm
I see Green Day as pop punk. Definitely more true to their punk roots, though, than Blink-182. I've never listened to American Idiot all the way through, but every track I've heard seems to confirm both of these sentiments.

I do, however, like the aggressive, fuzzy, melodic pop punk of Cloud Nothings.

Edited by Polymorphia - 27 Mar 2015 at 2:04pm
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CPicard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2015 at 12:13pm
Frankly, I haven't exactly heard about hate against punk rock - or only from some little circles.
Last year in Paris, there was a big exhibition about punk rock called "Europunk" in the Cité de la Musique (City of Music, a public museum) and it has some success.
Furthermore, in France, it's easier to find books about the history of punk rock than about progressive rock (not to talk about more experimental musics such as "Krautrock" or free jazz, industrial music...).

So, I don't see a lot of hate for punk rock. Now, if you heard the conversation I have with people about progressive rock or heavy metal... Stern Smile
RRROOOAAARRR!!! - Vo�vod, II-1, 1986 B.C.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic