MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recommendations for Sludge/Post-metal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Recommendations for Sludge/Post-metal
    Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 11:49pm
Probably one of the genres I'm least educated in is this one. Seeing as I love Mastodon, Corrosion of Conformity, and Isis, I was wondering what some other great bands of this genre are, and which ones I would like the most.

Any recommendations?

Edited by Unitron - 23 Feb 2015 at 11:50pm
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 1:49am
Ah  Sludge, that gorgeous blend of doom metal and hardcore punk. It's a diverse genre in a lot of ways. On the one hand you have a  lot of bands where the hardcore element is still very prominent but is overlain with those sludgy doom riffs, and goes across the spectrum to where hardcore is very much in the background and we have a post-metal palate of aural textures. I'll have a think about recommendations, but here are some obvious ones. If you enjoy the more progressive side, Cult of Luna is a fairly safe bet and is a band that has become increasingly progressive over its discography. Neurosis is another safe bet, again mixing sludge and prog. If you like ISIS, try Pelican or Rosetta. Bands like Melvins or Baroness are also well worth a listen.

For me, many of the more interesting bands are the more obscure ones. Try trawling through the free downloads thread. The more recent links I've put up are mainly metalcore, but go farther back and there's lots of links to some great less known sludge bands.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 1:57am
Well some of the obvious choices are of course Neurosis and Pelican

Other interesting acts could be Baroness, Cult of Luna, Minsk, Big Business, Melvins, Bloodiest, Intronaut, Inter Arma, Kylesa, The Ocean, Rwake, Yakuza.

I´m not really an Expert in the genres though. Of the Above I can highly recommend Minsk (I enjoy the psychadelic twist they put on their music), Big Business (Here Comes the Waterworks is a really great album), and of course Melvins.
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 10:59am
I'm pretty new to the genre myself. I plan to explore it soon (well, I was thinking of doom/drone/sludge and post-metal separately). But Boris might interest you. I also second Inter Arma. Their newest "EP" (It's actually 45 minutes) The Cavern is fantastic.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 11:12am
Thanks for all the recommendations, I'll have to check them out later. I'll probably start with Neurosis, heard a lot of good stuff about them.  
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 11:25am
I've always wondered why sludge was grouped with post-metal and not doom.
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 11:37am
If you think in terms of post sludge metal it helps. When we talk about post-metal it's usually built on sludge, although post-doom largely ends at the same place.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 7:44pm
#1 first and foremost:  Neurosis.  All their albums, or at least everything since 1992.  Start with Through Silver and Blood.

You already like ISIS so that's good

Listen to Swans' Children of God if you haven't before (or Filth and Cop; not all metal but a massive influence on the genre, very dark)

Boris' albums Amplifier Worship and Heavy Rocks (2002 album, not 2011 album)

Cult of Luna's album Somewhere Along The Highway

Also check out Intronaut, Om, and Yakuza

The above should give you a good, widely varied look into the world of Sludge metal

Edited by Triceratopsoil - 25 Feb 2015 at 7:54pm
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 8:04pm
some other fun bands - High on Fire, Giant Squid, Agalloch (their less black-metal albums), *Shels, Russian Circles, Red Sparowes

Edited by Triceratopsoil - 24 Feb 2015 at 8:08pm
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 1:51am
Yakuza - yeah I like them, and Intronaut. Russian Circles and Red Sparrowes are very good bands too, from a different end of the spectrum to Yakuza. Shels I've never listened to - should do something about that I guess.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 2:18am
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

some other fun bands - High on Fire, Giant Squid, Agalloch (their less black-metal albums), *Shels, Russian Circles, Red Sparowes

I really like High on Fire and second the recommendation, but I´ve never understood why they were labelled sludge. I think they are much closer to stoner doom of the more aggressive kind.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 3:41pm
High on Fire are one of the few bands that I'd label purely "stoner metal" and not either sludge or doom.  There was a lot of debate about which sub they belong in.  It's because of the speed and aggression that I think I decided they have more in common with the hardcore side of sludge metal, than with doom metal - despite their origins (i.e. Sleep)

I can't find where the discussion we had surrounding them before is, I guess the collabs could possibly reopen it, but they aren't really doom-y IMO

Rate your music calls them Stoner Metal, Sludge Metal, Heavy Metal; metal-archives calls them Stoner/Doom Metal; wikipedia calls them Sludge metal, stoner metal, doom metal.  I guess it's a fairly debatable point.  Either way they are awesome

Edited by Triceratopsoil - 25 Feb 2015 at 3:45pm
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by Bosh66 Bosh66 wrote:

Yakuza - yeah I like them, and Intronaut. Russian Circles and Red Sparrowes are very good bands too, from a different end of the spectrum to Yakuza. Shels I've never listened to - should do something about that I guess.

http://shelsmusic.bandcamp.com/album/plains-of-the-purple-buffalo
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 4:10pm
Currently listening to Neurosis 'Through Silver in Blood', and I can safely say I was really missing out.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 1:32am
^Oh hell yeah...
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 2:41pm
^ Haha
"Before you see the light you must die!!!!!!!!!!" - Slayer

"Today is born the seventh one, born of woman, the seventh son" - Steve Harris
Wyvern_13 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wyvern_13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2015 at 3:13pm
Acid Bath are my personal favorites when it comes to anything Sludge.
Some other personal picks are The Atlas Moth, Zatokrev, Warcrab and Slugdge.

You could also go with the classics, Eyehategod, Crowbar and Down.

If you are so inclined there's also a few fantastic Sludge/Black Metal bands such as Lord Mantis and Wolvhammer.
Þessi undirskrift kemur málinu bara alls ekkert við!
Tupan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2016 at 6:10pm
Not really an average sludge band, but Obsidian Kingdom is excellent!

Judd Madden has some great moments too.

Consecration is great!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image