Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Research paper on J. Priest's "Night Crawler"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Research paper on J. Priest's "Night Crawler"
    Posted: 17 Feb 2015 at 6:49pm
f you're interested in a more academic approach to heavy metal lyrics, then here's a cognitive poetic/stylistic analysis of the language of terror (as in 'terror as a narrative mode') in Judas Priest's "Night Crawler". It's, of course, very academic (and thus perhaps not the most accessible text in the world) and all that, but, if that's your thing, you might want to read it: http://web.fu-berlin.de/phin/phin71/p71t2.htm. If that's not your thing, then you probably don't want to read it. However, at least, it might be still nice to know that heavy metal music, lyrics and culture is now being taken seriously enough that professional academically trained scholars and scientists actually research them.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2015 at 9:26am
I canĀ“t claim that I got through it all, but the idea to study heavy metal lyrics just as you would study anything else is certainly interesting.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2015 at 8:45am
I send the link to a colleague who is a gigant Judas Priest fan.
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2015 at 6:43am
Cool :-)

I plan to do two more similar analyses: one of 'Killers' by Maiden and one of 'Black Sabbath' by Black Sabbath. I have some other more hardcore linguistic research to do first though.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2015 at 10:05pm
Here's something you might find interesting: New Zealand's very own Dr Bogan. ("Bogan" is a term exclusive to NZ and Australia, and refers to a typical metal fan- take a look at the guy for a perfect example!)

He expanded his thesis (http://researchcommons.waikato.ac.nz/handle/10289/6078) out to a book (yes, I've read it!) and even had a documentary series about bogan culture made.

Bogan culture covers more than just metal, but it has been quite refreshing to see it taken seriously enough to inspire an academic study. It caused a lot of controversy, with a lot of people calling it a waste of time and money, but I think it's enlightened the general public on a misunderstood, and sometimes very visible sub-culture.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic