MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stratovarius

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stratovarius
    Posted: 24 Jan 2015 at 10:44pm
I got into Stratovarius when Elements pt.1 came out. I think I have every album of theirs since, and while I always liked about half of the songs on any given album, the other half were always just ok or meh at best.

I remember checking out many power metal bands web pages maybe 10 years ago, and there were plenty of musicians, in the bio sections, that when asked what their favorite concert was, would say Stratovarius. I guess I never got that, only being a casual fan.

Anyways, a couple of weeks ago I was browsing a few different groups here on Metal Music Archives, and went to the Stratovarius page. I noticed that the album Visions is the highest rated here on this site, so I bought it. Wow, what a fantastic album! Every song on it is killer.

So I went and bought their Under Flaming Winter Skies concert DVD today, and again holy smokes! Those guys rip in concert. The new guy on guitar absolutely rips. I'm going to have to revisit all their albums I already have.

Are there any other of their old albums that are a 'need to have', besides Visions?
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2015 at 3:08am
I saw Stratovarius on the tour supporting "Infinite", and they were amazing. Top notch live sound, excellent musicianship, and great show. I agree with you about the albums though. Too much filler material, and not enough really memorable tracks.

I can recommend the four albums from "Episode" to "Infinite". I think that´s their peak.
DippoMagoo View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Power & Neo, Goth & Symph, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2015 at 7:36pm
Even being as big a power metal fan as I am, I find Stratovarius to be a bit hit and miss sometimes when it comes to songwriting. I do agree with the album's UMUR mentioned as all being particularly good, though, with Destiny and Visions being my two favorites. One thing to keep in mind: The particular period you mentioned starting from is certainly their weakest, in part because it started around the time Tolkki was having his meltdowns, which he still to this day hasn't really recovered from, and then with Polaris and Elysium they weren't quite on track, because they needed time to get fully in sync with their new members. Definitely give Nemesis a try if you haven't, though, because I find it to be easily their best since Destiny, and it's the first sign of the new lineup fully clicking and possibly being able to match their best work again.
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2015 at 1:47am
their last two albums were surprisingly good

the two Elements albums are weak IMO,  way too uneven.
Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2015 at 2:17am
Like other people have stated they tend to be hit or miss for me....their mid-late 90's stuff seems to be best but idk. Still a bit of a noob when it comes to them!Stern Smile

Edited by Psydye - 26 Jan 2015 at 2:17am
Vic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 12:19pm
Stratovarius for me is Dreamspace, that's when I first heard them and I still love that album and I still prefer Tolkki's vocals over Kotipelto's even if he is the more technically proficient singer.

As for their discography, the Dreamspace to Visions streak is the only essential Stratovarius in my book. 
Gabimm View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gabimm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2015 at 11:11am
I like Stratovarius, more in the other times.

I appreciate Episode, Visions, of Destiny I like the music "Rebel".
Of the albums of the 00 ', like the Infinite and the Elements (more Part I).

I prefer the voice of Kotipelto's, is very clean and sharp.

A friend of mine recorded a compilation of their music some 12 years ago, I freaked out! I showed it to my mother, who is a pianist, she was also impressed, until today when we heard anything from them, love. Today, I consider very good technically band, but I like to listen to other styles before, because they almost always means me sound repetitive, there prefer prog or thrash.
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2015 at 8:53pm
I am not familiar with Stratovarius at all Tongue

Wink LOL
"Before you see the light you must die!!!!!!!!!!" - Slayer

"Today is born the seventh one, born of woman, the seventh son" - Steve Harris
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image