Poll Question: Who.s your fav and where do you lean with your style of Metal
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
69 [66.35%]
35 [33.65%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best of the Two
    Posted: 27 Mar 2010 at 3:12pm
Opeth myselfBig smile
Matt
Raff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2010 at 3:21pm
Opeth by numerous country miles. Never been a DT fan, and I'm afraid I'll never become oneWink.
NJCat_11 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NJCat_11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2010 at 3:30pm
Hmmmm..... this thread looks oddly familiar.
Perhaps I've seen it on a different website. LOL

Went with Dream Theater then, and I'll do the same here as well.

Edited by NJCat_11 - 27 Mar 2010 at 3:33pm
Logan View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2010 at 3:46pm
I go with the more evil one.

Opeth.  Yeah both suffer from Prog pretentions but Akerfeldt is still more metal at heart, I feel, and Opeth is more progressive in a good sense and way less dull. Dream Theater is a rather badly watered down metal band to my ears.  If DT would get down to the metal roots and forget about this Prog nonsense I think it would be better. Opeth has a wicked quality that I don't think DT will ever have (maybe if Petrucci embraced Satan and Petrucci, Myung, and Portnoy sacrificed Labrie who can give real metalheads the giggles, in a ritualistic ceremony, and ate his entrails it would give them the power to start making edgy music).  Of course I am not endorsing such an act, but I just feel that DT lacks bite. 
- -brutalogan
Sleepwalker View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sleepwalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2010 at 3:47pm
Opeth is one of my favorite metal bands and I'm not a fan of Dream Theater in the least. 
Obviously voted for Opeth. Rawks
Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2010 at 4:13pm
I think Images and Words is better then my five Opeth albums (not combined), but Systematic chaos....nope cant listen to the hole thing without getting bored, bought Awake today so I might listen to that for now

I realy like Opeth also have there 5 albums from Blackwater Park til Watershed soon i will go backward (moonwalk) to their more death/black metal albums, looking forward too listen to Stil Life

Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2010 at 4:14pm
well DT made me a metalhead so this time (on a Metal site I have to vote for them)
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2010 at 4:46pm
Both are fantastic.... but it would be a crime for me to go against Dream Theater on this one. Opeth is one of my favorite bands as well. 
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Morningrise View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morningrise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2010 at 5:37pm
Opethhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!
DeathOfSeasons View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeathOfSeasons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2010 at 6:25pm
I honestly hate Dream Theater and I find Opeth to be quite overrated, but I guess I'll go with Opeth as some of their albums alright.
Sckxyss View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sckxyss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2010 at 11:27pm
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I go with the more evil one.

Opeth.  Yeah both suffer from Prog pretentions but Akerfeldt is still more metal at heart, I feel, and Opeth is more progressive in a good sense and way less dull. Dream Theater is a rather badly watered down metal band to my ears.  If DT would get down to the metal roots and forget about this Prog nonsense I think it would be better. Opeth has a wicked quality that I don't think DT will ever have (maybe if Petrucci embraced Satan and Petrucci, Myung, and Portnoy sacrificed Labrie who can give real metalheads the giggles, in a ritualistic ceremony, and ate his entrails it would give them the power to start making edgy music).  Of course I am not endorsing such an act, but I just feel that DT lacks bite. 

You're hilarious on this site. LOL

Anyway, I go with Opeth as well. Both for a preference to darker metal and just out plain quality/consistency.
FusionKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FusionKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2010 at 12:28pm
DREAM THEATER!!! It's totally metal, totally prog, totally wonderous union of the genres and I like it! Big smile
rushfan4 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors and Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2010 at 12:30pm
Dream Theater for me.  I don't do growls.
dean View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2010 at 12:38pm
Are Dream Theatre Metal? I thought they were a Prog band. Tongue
kshskang View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kshskang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2010 at 11:34pm
Though I used to be a huge Dream Theater fan a few years back, I can't really enjoy their music as much I used to. Ever since they released Octavarium, I just basically... stopped.

Now, Opeth is still one of my favorite bands of all time and I can always go back to them despite how many times I've listened to them. Though Akerfeldt is basically beginning to take control of the whole band (especially with the departures of Lopez and Lindgren), Opeth still continues to make great music imo and they have a special place in my heart .
Metalbaswee View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metalbaswee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 8:21am
Dream theater for me. I grew up with their music.. Nothing against Opeth. DT is just 0.00000000000001% better for me. Rawks

Metaledit: Since this is a metal related poll, i'm moving this to the poll section.

Bas.

Edited by Metalbaswee - 30 Mar 2010 at 8:23am

CCVP View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCVP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 8:20am
DT here. Love both bands though, but DT has a special place in my heart, since they are the reason why I turned back to listen progressive rock, progressive metal and eventually extreme metal.

Hail the kings.
topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 6:03pm
 Dream Theater is actually interesting most of the time.Tongue

Which is why I voted for them.
MovingPictures07 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MovingPictures07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 7:39pm
I love Dream Theater and I like Opeth, but it's a huge difference. DT for sure.
Harry View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 9:12pm
Opeth by quite a stretch.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic