MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Black Metal Recs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Black Metal Recs
    Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 12:43pm
I'm looking for interesting, weird, and/or beautiful black metal bands. Preferrably ones that don't amount to well-played Satanist worship music (I'm looking at you Behemoth), or a neo-nazi punk band at 700 bpm. I like Alcest, Blut Aus Nord, Deafheaven, Gris, Kayo Dot's black metal side, Thantifaxath, early Ulver. Lyrics are a big part of how I listen, and I know it's a weird thing to consider with black metal recs. I just want something that feels a little human, I guess.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 1:56pm
I would highly recommend Myrkur, her music combines both the melancholy beauty of chamber music and the rawness of black metal. I wrote a review of her debut EP, if you want to read it; She's my favorite black metal artist.  
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 2:06pm
Well I don't know if they'd be what you're looking for but I'll drop a few names off the top of my head here.

Fen - they play atmospheric BM with post-rock elements with lyrics more in the nature vein.

Darkspace - atmospheric BM again, this time though with more ambient elements and spacey themes. 

Hail Spirit Noir - these guys mix BM with psychedelic rock. They have some satanism in their themes though I believe. But musically they certainly fit the bill of 'interesting' in my mind. 

Progenie Terrestre Pura - more ABM with ambient leanings and sci-fi themes. They also have a pure ambient/electronic EP.

Winterhorde - A progressive BM band. I highly recommend their album Underwatermoon. Very adventurous stuff. 

I'll also second Myrkur, but I don't think she's reached her full potential yet after just one EP. Definitely worth a listen though. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 2:16pm
One of my favorites is Dødheimsgard: http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/artist/dødheimsgard/?ac=død

I consider both 666 International and Supervillain Outcast as masterpieces.

Related Projects like:

Hexvessel (which is actually neo-folk, but still related and pretty cool): http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/artist/hexvessel/?ac=hexv

They are not all Black metal, but rather Black metal related.

...oh and I definitely second Adam´s recommendation of Hail Spirit Noir. Great, great band that one.

and how could I forget Deathspell Omega (anything released from 2004 and onwards). Quite chaotic sounding stuff, but very clever and rather sophisticated. The lyrics may be satanic in nature, but Again they are rather clever and a quite interesting read: http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/artist/deathspell-omega/?ac=deathsp

Edited by UMUR - 12 Jan 2015 at 2:24pm
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 3:07pm
Thanks for the recs, guys! Big smile

I am familiar with Deathspell Omega and their lyrical style. I do like their sound a lot, and at least appreciate their approach to their lyrical themes more than most Satanist bm bands. That said, I tend to fall towards the nope side of the fence. Still, as a musician of the diametrically opposing belief (Christianity), I don't think I should not hear what they have to say (just as a fellow human being and in order to say what I have to say more effectively), especially for a band who puts so much work into it as DO. Music is as much a conversation to me as it is a personal enjoyment. It's just very weird and unsettling to hear topics that have very immediate meaning and consequence to me used in that way. I don't approach those artists casually and I can't say I enjoy them in a pure sense.

Edited by Polymorphia - 12 Jan 2015 at 3:08pm
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 3:18pm
To each his own I say Thumbs Up, I´m personally as atheist as they come, so neither Christian nor Satanic lyrics bother me if they cleverly written, or if they are just catchy and suits the music. I guess I just view them as stories or as other people´s perspective on life, and to me it´s always interesting to hear what other´s feel about things. Saviour Machine is for example one of my favorite acts.

Edited by UMUR - 13 Jan 2015 at 4:00am
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 3:49pm
I assume you already know Negura Bunget?

If you like Alcest, try Mortifera and Amesoeurs.  Amesoeurs are the least black metal of the bunch.  You might also like Les Discrets (though I'm not big on them).

^ All of the above are predominantly foreign language so that might not be what you want at all

If don't mind instrumental stuff that is more on the ambient side, Extinction Algorithm is cool and they have 2 free albums

Edited by Triceratopsoil - 12 Jan 2015 at 3:50pm
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 2:17am
^^^ This guy knows what he is talking about!! LOL
"Before you see the light you must die!!!!!!!!!!" - Slayer

"Today is born the seventh one, born of woman, the seventh son" - Steve Harris
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 4:33am
I'm more of a casual listener of black metal, but here are some recommendations anyway.

The Secret's Agnus Dei is pretty good. It's a blend of black metal and crust, so it's not that refined or anything, but it's definitely an interesting black metal album that explores music outside of black metal.

Vetter's Vetterkult is also pretty damn good. To my ears, it has a slight avant-garde feel to it.

Chryst's PhantasmaChronica is more of a weird avant-garde affair, but there are plenty of black metal elements on it. You might find it interesting.

You might find Melencolia Estatica's Hël interesting. It leans towards depressive black metal, but draws on influences beyond that. Personally, I think it's not the most thrilling album in the world, but give it a listen anyway and see if it's your thing.

You might also want to check out Total Negation's Zur Späten Stunde | Zeiträume. It's probably one f the most innovative black metal albums out there, blending depressive black metal and Krautrock, and making use of a bunch instruments that are not normally used in black metal. This one is worth a listen.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 2:18pm
Oh I forgot to recommend Oranssi Pazuzu: http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/artist/oranssi-pazuzu/?ac=oran

Great psychadelic/krautrock oriented Black metal with Finnish lyrics. I don´t understand a Word they say, but it sounds cool Cool
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2015 at 10:21pm
Well thank you all. I will be checking these out. In fact, I'm listening to Myrkur right now. Thumbs Up
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2015 at 10:30pm
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

Well thank you all. I will be checking these out. In fact, I'm listening to Myrkur right now. Thumbs Up
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2015 at 10:31pm

Nice Thumbs Up

How you liking it so far?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2015 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by Unitron Unitron wrote:

Nice Thumbs Up

Just finished. I liked it a lot. There was something refreshing about hearing a female voice sing those choral harmonies instead of guys, even though I quite like the use of choral arrangements in bm in general. But I'd echo that we probably haven't seen the best of her.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2015 at 10:44pm

Originally posted by Unitron Unitron wrote:

Nice Thumbs Up

Just finished. I liked it a lot. There was something refreshing about hearing a female voice sing those choral harmonies instead of guys, even though I quite like the use of choral arrangements in bm in general. But I'd echo that we probably haven't seen the best of her.

She's coming out with a full-length album later this year, and needless to say, I'm intrigued to hear what it will be like. 

aglasshouse View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2015 at 4:05pm
The one black metal band that I've found myself liking a lot is Melechesh, I highly suggest checking them out. Wink
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2015 at 4:11pm
There's of course also The Black Satans :-)
Dobbie03 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dobbie03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2015 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

Oh I forgot to recommend Oranssi Pazuzu: http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/artist/oranssi-pazuzu/?ac=oran

Great psychadelic/krautrock oriented Black metal with Finnish lyrics. I don´t understand a Word they say, but it sounds cool Cool

Yup, cool band.

@Polymorphia These guys are pretty good too https://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/posthum/the_black_northern_ritual/.  Probably a bit more straight forward BM than what you have mentioned you are looking for though.  They are pretty melodic though.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2015 at 1:39pm
So far (not necessarily in this order):
I have gone back earlier in Blut Aus Nord's catalog at the recommendation of a PA member, and particularly love Memoria Vetusta ii: Dialogue with the Stars.

I have listened to Myrkur's EP, which I liked. It wasn't so much impressive as just refreshing, but I think she will turn out something impressive, so it gave me something to look forward to.

I absolutely love Fen's The Malediction Fields. Such a beautiful album. Haven't listened to anything else by them, but I definitely plan to.

I listened to Dark Space III I, as well. For some reason, I didn't really get this one. The space atmosphere was not as strong as people made it out to be. It just seemed meh almost the entire time except for a couple moments on "Dark 4.20." I feel it's likely a result of Darkspace doing something similar for their entire career and losing a bit of steam a long the way, so I'm going to go back and listen to an older album sometime to see if that doesn't do something for me.

Edited by Polymorphia - 22 Jan 2015 at 1:39pm
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2015 at 5:18pm
^Nice, I'll have to check some of those out too. Thumbs Up

Oh, I forgot to mention another one of my favorite Black metal artists Satyricon. May want to check them out, they have combined a lot of medieval sounds in their earlier albums. I'm not sure if they're the kind of BM you're looking for though. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic