Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Video/PC Game Discussion Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4849505152 94>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2015 at 8:42am
I just finished playing through Portal Stories: Mel, which is a mod for Portal 2. Despite being a mod this is basically a fully-fledged Portal game; very well done with voice-acting and a plot which ties in to the official plot of the first two games (the very end implies a prequel). 

The puzzles are a lot harder than either official game and I got stuck quite a few times and had to look up what to do, but mostly this was classic Portal. I highly recommend it if you own the Steam version of Portal 2. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
DippoMagoo View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Power & Neo, Goth & Symph, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2015 at 11:59pm
Played through Tales of Zesteria recently and that as a lot of fun, as expected. Right now I'm playing Fallout 4, and so far it's been great. Combat seems somewhat improved and the settlement building is nowhere near as confusing as I expected it to be. I also haven't had any bugs or any real performance issues yet, so at least so far it seems it's better optimized for PS4 than Witcher 3 was. That one was a real disaster, as far as optimization is concerned. It also causes my PS4's fan to go nuts sometimes, which Fallout 4 hasn't really done.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2015 at 1:59am
I find The Witcher 3 to be a well optimized game on PC. Not perfect by any means but it actually runs hell of a lot better than some older games I own with lower specs, not least the Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, which actually runs like shit in some locations.

I've seen some screenshots on Steam that Fallout 4 does indeed have problems (such a black textures on the player face or it being completely invisible). I'm still quite eager to play it, but I'm hoping that they get out a few patches in the next few weeks. 

GG2U

Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2015 at 11:15pm
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2015 at 3:57am
15.5 hours into Fallout 4 and still no serious bugs or performance issues, and a lot of that time has been spent exploring side areas very far away from the man quest. It's actually been surprisingly stable for an open world game, and I'm loving the improvements to combat. Radiation poisoning is harsher and had been giving me problems for a while, but I found enough radaways to deal with that now, so at this point the game is just pure, ridiculous fun. I've pretty much been playing my character as stupidly as possible, and this has led to a bizarre, off the rails feeling playthrough but in a delightfully entertaining way. So far its easily my favorite Bethesda game and probably my favorite Fallout (I liked New Vegas way more than previous games as well.)
vmoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2015 at 8:32am
Originally posted by DippoMagoo DippoMagoo wrote:

15.5 hours into Fallout 4 and still no serious bugs or performance issues, and a lot of that time has been spent exploring side areas very far away from the man quest. It's actually been surprisingly stable for an open world game, and I'm loving the improvements to combat. Radiation poisoning is harsher and had been giving me problems for a while, but I found enough radaways to deal with that now, so at this point the game is just pure, ridiculous fun. I've pretty much been playing my character as stupidly as possible, and this has led to a bizarre, off the rails feeling playthrough but in a delightfully entertaining way. So far its easily my favorite Bethesda game and probably my favorite Fallout (I liked New Vegas way more than previous games as well.)
i got like 18 to 19 hours in already and i like it as much as you. I feel the radiation is random and glitchy. unless that is just me. But i did get radiated in a few spots only to come back to them and not get radiated there ever again.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2015 at 4:17pm
From my experience it isn't glitchy, just very harsh. It seems to be consistent for me in each spot where it comes up, the problem is it can be very tricky to know when it'll come up sometimes: I'll be in an area that seems free of it, then step in a wrong place, and all of a sudden I'll be seeing "Rads + 5" on my screen, and be like "WTF".  Apparently in this one it triggers as soon as you're near anything with radiation, so that's why it seems to happen faster than normal, and why it goes off just from being too close to ghouls or bugs. I like that it adds an extra survival element to the game, but running around with over half of health bar redded out early on, until I found good sources for radaway, was pretty frustrating.
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2015 at 6:24am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

I find The Witcher 3 to be a well optimized game on PC. Not perfect by any means but it actually runs hell of a lot better than some older games I own with lower specs, not least the Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, which actually runs like shit in some locations.

I've seen some screenshots on Steam that Fallout 4 does indeed have problems (such a black textures on the player face or it being completely invisible). I'm still quite eager to play it, but I'm hoping that they get out a few patches in the next few weeks. 

After reading some more elaborate user reviews and watching some gameplay, I am not sure if I even want to play this game anymore. Not that I was planning on getting it any time soon, but it seems like Bethesda's taken the easy way out of this. They had a fortune to spend on this game after the success of Skyrim, they could make it grand and revolutionary and yet... they decided to shamelessly milk the cow anyway.

Edited by bartosso - 13 Nov 2015 at 6:35am
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2015 at 6:46am
I really don't get that complaint at all. They made numerous changes to the game, some of which make things more convenient, some of which make things a bit tougher but more interesting, and some things which are entirely new elements to the game (settlement building, for example.) I mean, yeah, it's still an open world RPG set in a wasteland, but what the hell would you have expected? It feels like the game is getting an insane amount of backlash, and I don't get it, because it's easily the most fun I've had with a Bethesda game and possibly the most fun I've ever had with an open world game period.
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2015 at 7:22am
What's not to get, just check out some reviews! Now, if you're okay with all that, fine, we all have our priorities. But saying you don't get it is a little weird. I, for instance, love Bioshock games or the Witcher 2 (still haven't played the 3rd one) but I get why some people don't like them.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2015 at 11:23am
It looks pretty good, but I'm not paying $80 for a console port
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2015 at 12:44pm
Some people say the story in F4 is good... I'd love to verify that.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2015 at 6:45pm
I can't make even the slightest comment on the story yet, because after playing for 24 hours, I haven't tried advancing the plot even once after the intro. Pretty much all I know is I need to go to Diamond City, and I keep getting so sidetracked by other things that I haven't made it there yet, and may not even get there tonight.

Also, still no real bugs yet. I've had some weird looking animations and my guy got stuck for a couple seconds, but I haven't seen any of these supposedly serious bugs yet, so that's odd, but certainly a nice surprise.

Edited by DippoMagoo - 13 Nov 2015 at 6:53pm
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2015 at 2:12am
Have you done any of the settlement building yet Travis? I must admit that's probably one of the features I'm most interested in. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2015 at 2:16am
I've done a little bit of it, though not too much, mainly because my character is more combat focused, has 1 int and 1 charisma, so that actually locks me out of doing certain things with it, like setting up stores, for example. I will probably go deeper into it on another playthrough. From what I've seen it's a bit complicated to figure out, and certain aspects of it are a bit confusing until you've messed with them a bit to get used to how they work, but it's definitely interesting and I have heard of people using it rather extensively.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2015 at 4:36pm
Just played through and completed the last episode of Telltale's Game of Thrones.

First off, the episode was pretty fun to play, but it was also a massive downer in terms of plot and ending. To be honest I didn't expect a happy ending by any means given its Game of Thrones, but the ending I got did feel exceptionally bad. I don't know if I simply made the wrong choices along the way or if there's nothing you can really do to improve it, but at the end I basically felt that I failed at every character's storyline. Counting the ones in previous episodes all bar one of the player characters were either dead or in a very bad way come the finish. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2015 at 5:55pm
One review I read basically said that the game forces you to "lose" no matter what choices you make, in both the finale and the season on the whole. I was getting that impression myself throughout most of the game, so I'm not terribly surprised to hear that, but it still gives me less motivation to actually play the finale. I was planning on putting it off for a bit anyway, due to Fallout 4 and then Bloodborne DLC next week, but at this rate I don't even know if I have the motivation to finish it at all. I think Telltale has really dropped the ball with this one and season two TWD, and I think in the future even if one of their games looks interesting, I'll wait for at least 2-3 episodes to be out and for the first episode to be free before deciding to buy it or not, because lately it feels like I've wasted too much money on their games only to be consistently let down.

Edit: I actually think I'm just gonna go and get the episode out of the way in a few minutes, so I can delete the game from my PS4 and continue to focus on Fallout for the next while. Hopefully I don't completely hate it, but I probably will, tbh.

Edited by DippoMagoo - 18 Nov 2015 at 1:38am
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 3:46am
Well, I have very mixed feelings on the finale. Some of the individual scenes were amazing while actually in the moment, but once it all ended, my feelings toward it were rather negative overall. I think for me what it comes down is, season 1 of The Walking Dead felt like a new benchmark for narrative gaming at the time, and other developers are now doing similar things in impressive ways, while Telltale has kinda slipped up and got to a point where there's so little you can actually do effect the outcome, that it essentially becomes an "interactive movie" with very little of the "interactive" part actually mattering anymore. In short, I think if their Game of Thrones story had been presented as a TV mini series or something, where I could be a neutral spectator, it probably would have been awesome, but as a game where I'm expected to play one side, it falls terribly flat. 

Lastly, I do not like Telltale's recent habits of ending seasons with obvious cliffhangers meant to tease a season 2. That kind of thing works fine for a TV show, but for a game that's pretty unacceptable I think, unless they would have told us up front that it would be multiple seasons. I don't even mean for them not to do multiple seasons: I'd just prefer each season to have a conclusive ending, instead of this total bullshit. Hell, for all I criticised season 2 of TWD, at least it had an ending (or endings, really,) and if anything they probably need to do something completely different for a third season, which is perfectly fine with me. As is, I'll likely get the Borderlands season 2, since I mostly enjoyed season 1 a lot, but I honestly don't think I'll bother with season 2 of this, because I just wasn't getting much enjoyment out of it past the first two episodes, and so it probably isn't worth putting myself through any more of it. I'd much rather just watch the HBO series instead, and possibly get caught up on the books. 

Edited by DippoMagoo - 18 Nov 2015 at 6:52am
666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2015 at 3:55pm
Telltale would honestly probably do better if they weren't trying to juggle several episodic games at once as they have been recently.

I personally quite enjoyed their Game of Thrones game though I think it has a lot of faults in it. I expect I'll get the second season if they make one (I presume they are after how this one ended), but only when it's cheap. I agree with what Travis said about every season having a conclusive ending as well. For me this game would have been better if your choices affected the end in such a way that it's possible to beat the Whitehill's. The Forrester's seem pretty much screwed whatever you do.

A few things that really stood out as negatives for me were (sorry, spoilers):

Mira's story. This one in particular seemed pretty worthless in the end. She got beheaded at the end of my game without having really done anything that really helped her family.

Gared's story. I quite liked his story overall but not the way it was dragged out across all six episodes. The Forrester's pretty much lost everything by the time he even got to the North Grove in my game, so no matter which choice you pick for him at the end of episode 6 it somehow feels meaningless by that point.

Finally I feel that a lot of the main characters were just carbon copies of the Stark's. Mira/Sansa for example or Rodrik/Rob. Even Talia/Arya (Talia is more feminine than Arya but I always get the impression that underneath the exterior that kid's tough as nails).
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2015 at 4:15pm
^Yeah, most of that sounds exactly like what happened on my game. Spoilers below:

For the Mira plot especially, I didn't care too much that I got her killed, because even if I had kept her alive it's like, would she even have helped the Forresters much anyway? The answer is probably no. I mean, I could have had her marry the one Whitehill, but I had several objections to that, plus imo anything involving peace in a Game of Thrones story just seems like a foreign idea to me, lol!

I actually really liked Gared's story in episode 6, much more than I expected. However, it serves as a perfect example of what I mean: Regardless of what choice you make, it's like they're trying to lure you back for season 2 to see what happens next, because either you stay back and maybe get to learn what the North Grove is, or he launches his campaign to try and retake Ironrath, with Asher probably joining once he's recovered (in my game he escaped, but was badly wounded. He'll almost certainly reappear in season 2, though.)

And yeah, the Stark/Forrester comparisons have been brought up online a lot and I mostly agree with that. I also noticed that some of the scenes were close parallels of events from the show/book: For example the big negotiation in episode 4 was fairly similar in setup to the Red Wedding, even if the details were quite different, and with how the "peace gathering" in episode 6 went in my game, it very closely mimicked the Purple Wedding, except this time there were two deaths instead of one.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4849505152 94>
  Share Topic