MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Suggest new bands/artists to MMA
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSteve Vai solo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2010 at 10:17am
You are the experts, while I know very little about those artists. Remember that my position is NOT motivated by any personal reasons, but only by the good of the site. If you know me at all from the PA days, you'll know that I tend to be inclusive rather than exclusive. However, I've seen the damage done by an unclear addition policy, and I'll stop at that.

Anyway, as regards not calling us a metal archive without Appetite for Destruction, Encyclopedia Metallum does not list Guns'n'Roses, nor any bands that might qualify as Glam/Hair/Street, or whatever you want to call them. And yet, there are people here who hold up that site as the ultimate metal resource.
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2010 at 10:24am
I agree with Negoba, and, as I've pointed out elsewhere, leaving certain stuff out may be just as controversial as including certain stuff. It's just a matter of choosing an exclusivist strategy over an inclusivist one - they both carry potential controversies.

I, for one, would be happy to see both Steve Vai and Joe Satriani (and Slash) here - but I am also generally more prone to thinking "WTF? Why isn't X here?" than "WTF? Why is X here?". Anyway, it's somewhat of a comfort that the chosen exclusivist strategy is only intented to be a temporary one, and I am hopeful that many of the artists we've discussed - including Steve Vai - will be added some day in the near future.

BTW, I am actually sceptical towards the Encyclopaedia Metallum for its exclusivist - dare I say elitist - approach, so I don't consider it the ultimate metal resource. It's a very extensive one, to be sure, but not the ultimate one.

Edited by Time Signature - 17 Apr 2010 at 10:26am
Raff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2010 at 10:31am
I agree with you 100% about the Encyclopedia Metallum. I don't like it, and don't consider it to be complete in the least. However, I am an admin here, and was one on PA some years ago - so I know what it means to have to constantly put out the fires due to controversial additions. And let's not forget that it is the very owner and founder of this site that would rather see those 'floodgates' closed, at least for the time being. He has invested time and money in the creation of this site, and obviously he is none too keen to see it go under for lack of a clear direction in its early days.
1967/ 1976 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2010 at 10:49am
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

I agree with you 100% about the Encyclopedia Metallum. I don't like it, and don't consider it to be complete in the least. However, I am an admin here, and was one on PA some years ago - so I know what it means to have to constantly put out the fires due to controversial additions. And let's not forget that it is the very owner and founder of this site that would rather see those 'floodgates' closed, at least for the time being. He has invested time and money in the creation of this site, and obviously he is none too keen to see it go under for lack of a clear direction in its early days.

I quote this post because this is also my opinion and position.

I consider G'n'R a hard rock band as all the bands of Glam  and Street. They are, however, part of Metal World and see them here I do not care. However, a few days ago, I promoted Suzi Quatro, artist that I adore. Is she Metal? More than many Glam and Street bands and she certainly has too balls respect many male colleagues. May one day become part of MMA... That day I should enjoy as a bull in heat. Not today. PA errors were essentially the Prog Related category which ultimately lead in PA bands bands that haven't nothing to do with PA (and what about Post Rock, Post Metal, etc.?) So it is finished to satisfy all break PA toy.

I went away disgusted by PA because of this (which made me hate Prog...) and when I saw the M@x email that was promoting MMA... Here I am!!!

I don't want MMA to become a clone of PA. Please.

Edited by 1967/ 1976 - 17 Apr 2010 at 10:50am
Negoba View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2010 at 11:07am
It would be interesting to have M@x weigh in on this.

I'm finding it interesting that I seem to be against the momentum on both sites. I think PA should exclude more, and here I tend to be on the side of inclusion.

We're gonna do a little number featuring Randy Rhoads...

Wine is fine but whisky's quicker.

That's what Rock n' Roll's About!!!!
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2010 at 5:07pm
Please understand,

I am in no way trying to start a fight, I have many points I'd like to "debate" but it will serve no purpose in the particular discussion here.
I'll retract my idea for a "Shredder" sub-catagory, because people have a problem with it as a "Genre" (Term, title, definition etc.), and seeing a great example like "Slash" and his solo album definately is a way to look at the Solo Guitarists, not all are Progressive, some are 8 Bar Blues based, some are Jazz/Fusion based and then everything else.  But I'm an "Ear" guy, I play Guitar by ear, I can't read Music or even Tabliture, I'm Improvisational, but I'm Metal Based, even when I play Jazz fusion, and I am FAR away from 8 Bar Blues and Rock n' Roll (I'm not blessed with that "soul" in my fluidity in scales).

Please think about and consider this:  If you ADD to the sub-genre catagory Window on the Home Page...
"Guitar Soloists", you will alieviate the question of SOOOOOO Many "Metal" -based Guitarists, In anyones Review or whomever writes the descriptions for each Artist, they will mention what "Type" of Metal they will play, what are the influences.
I am not trying to start a dominoe effect of Sub-genre "suggestions", I did that with the so-called "Math Metal /Tech Thrash" and I understand the infantcy of this site, I succumb to the fact that they will go in respective Death, Thrash and Progressive Metal Catagories and the descriptions of each will be characterized by their "sub-genres" in them.
We can agree to disagree to what "influences" and characteristics these Soloists base their brand of Metal.
But I think we could all agree . . . they are Soloists, who do it their way, have respected musicians collab with them in writing or playing what has been written for them.  All thats left when you strip it all away, is it Metal? And they are still Soloists.

One last point (I really want to stay away from fighting and dont want to leave Steve Vai or anyone else out of what has potential to be the biggest source for Metal Information).
I'll say that Prog Rock has more potentials for Bands that have different elements that make them "progress" within the Genre, even if its one extreme compared to another-for the most part I can see more folks enjoying the "variety" than not (I litteraly like it ALL, but thats me).  Metal on the otherhand I feel has bigger gaps and one genre will be HATED amongst others (Prog does too, but Progression and various influences are what make Prog -"Prog").  If you had a Metal Festival of different sub-genres, what genre would have the most people leave to have a Lunch/Smoke break or go take a nap?
To get wrapped up in what site needs to Exclude or Include is too subjective and to "Leave" a site when you have a PLEATHERA of other musics to enjoy and read about is a shame to your own limitations to learn about something new.  I hate Glam, but there can be a Band I've forgotten about or learn of that has a great sound, I'm open to anything.  If you guys elect "Prince" to be here, I'm not going to complain about it to where I want to leave this NEW site "in disgust".
Be civil folks, be open minded and "research" your findings, or learn about these Artists that some of you, YOU are making decisions for.  Dont be the "American Grammy's" type of judges that decide what "Metal" Band should nominated like opening a Phone Book and pointing at the 1st thing they see (Believe me, thats how its done, I know 2 people in the Recording Industry who know people on the Grammy committee).
And by the way, I could really see this site "Helping" expand the Grammy Nominations in Metal (or maybe I'm dreaming) if this becomes a viable source for Information and there is enough publicity of some kind in the future.
Dont be afraid of Genres, its what makes this Music (and Prog) better than anything else out there because its more than just noise, we know better.  It is loud and aggressive, but has alot of Art, Heart and Soul.  I may get angry, but I'll come back and still support its efforts here, theres a bigger "picture" than just my tastes.  Again, I may not like a lot of Bands mentioned here and there, but that doesn't mean they are
not part of the Heavy Metal community.

Forgive me if I offended anyone, truely, I may use the wrong words but the point I hope will supercede my bad grammer Big smile (I mean, English is my 1st language Tongue).

Bang on!

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 17 Apr 2010 at 5:13pm
"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
The T 666 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2010 at 5:31pm
We have to create a site with a broad perspective but a realistic one. We have started being inclusive enough with bands like GN'R and Bon Jovi. We don't want to go to far and alienate the people we want to convert into our followers. Encyclopedia Metallum might not be your cup of tea, but as a metal head is still my main site to check METAL bands. It's a comprehensive archive that might be a little exclusive in their policies but that has become the main place to find about metal. Now, we're clearly not trying to be like them but to be something else, some place where reviews are very important and where we allow open minded discussions, and also where people can find info about all kind of bands. But we're first and foremost a metal site. People who go to a metal site want to find metal, not RHCP.

Of course, I don't own this site. My opinion is only an extra one. But as far as I go, I'll stay on the side of exclusivity... for a while at least, until we have graduated and obtained a metal undergraduate degree.... then we can go for higher goals and start risking the site's credibility... 
Negoba View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2010 at 6:06pm
I know this my sound strange, but when Appetite for Destruction came out, no one anywhere would have argued against it being metal. I realize things change and we're looking for metal fans now, but prior to grunge, metal was even easier to define that it is now. And alot of the bands now considered borderline were clearly in.

We're gonna do a little number featuring Randy Rhoads...

Wine is fine but whisky's quicker.

That's what Rock n' Roll's About!!!!
NJCat_11 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2010 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by Negoba Negoba wrote:

Flexable should probably be Avant-garde...the rest are instrumental metal and we should probably wait until we have an appropriate genre.\

I would actually advocate putting the shredders in with tech metal. I would happily join that team as I lived that scene for quite awhile.

Here's my breakdown on Steve Vai:

Flex-Able (1984) - Avant-garde metal
Flex-Able Leftovers (1984) - Avant-garde metal
Passion and Warfare (1990) - Instrumental metal
Sex & Religion (1993) - non-metal
Alien Love Secrets (1995) - Instrumental metal
Fire Garden (1996) - Instrumental metal
The Ultra Zone (1999) - Instrumental metal
Alive in an Ultra World (2001) - Instrumental metal
The Elusive Light and Sound, Vol. 1 (2002) - Instrumental metal
Real Illusions: Reflections (2005) - Instrumental metal
Sound Theories Vol. I & II (2007) - Instrumental metal / Symphonic metal
Where the Wild Things Are (2009) - Instrumental metal / Symphonic metal
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2010 at 6:48am
Added - thank you for the suggestion. The discography will soon be imported from MMA and processed by a collab.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic