0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer
Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 5:15am
Plus if there's a group of acts in there which a) have a recognisable, distinct common sound and b) aren't really following the traditions of the heavy metal subgenre that sounds like an argument for melodic metal as a subgenre. Especially if they describe themselves that way.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 6:25am
Melodic Metal as a sub-genre (of trad) has been suggested before but always ruled out due to objections. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 6:28am
Having a sub-genre called just melodic metal wouldn't solve the problem though. It might make it even worse.

An issue with the current setup is that some have tried to push bands like this into power metal. If we has melodic metal we might get the reverse start to happen.

There's no perfect solution to this, which is why I stand by that we should stick to what is most correct. And that's just having Heavy Metal on Metal Music Archives because the site itself is not called Heavy Metal Music Archives (which would justify the current name).
Warthur View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer
Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 7:49am
What the site calls itself doesn't control or affect the fact that "metal" and "heavy metal" are used as synonyms by a lot of people, though. Are we naming the genres to be clear to us, or to be clear to new people stumbling across the site?
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 10:29am
Originally posted by Warthur Warthur wrote:

What the site calls itself doesn't control or affect the fact that "metal" and "heavy metal" are used as synonyms by a lot of people, though. Are we naming the genres to be clear to us, or to be clear to new people stumbling across the site?

Good point, I could see how the "traditional" could be of help to those coming to the site that aren't as familiar with all the metal genres. I know to many of us seasoned metalheads, there's no questioning what we mean when we say heavy metal, but heavy metal and metal have become somewhat synonymous to those not as familiar with it.
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
TheHeavyMetalCat View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Black and Death Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHeavyMetalCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 11:27am
This is going really off topic here.

But to throw my opinion in I think we should use the more common name. Which is Heavy Metal.
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by TheHeavyMetalCat TheHeavyMetalCat wrote:

This is going really off topic here.

But to throw my opinion in I think we should use the more common name. Which is Heavy Metal.
I agree pretty much with this. Not as a throwaway genre but as something that encompasses something as debated as St. Anger which doesn't fit in the more specific genres on this site.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic