MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Outside the Black Metal Box

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote genghiscon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Outside the Black Metal Box
    Posted: 11 Nov 2011 at 11:41pm
The One Genre where I just can not find any safe haven in is Black Metal.

The three deal breakers for me in Black Metal is:
1. Cookie Monster vocals, or the Danni "I just gargled with a dozen razor blades" Filth vocals.
2. Constant blastbeating - Sweet Zombie Christ! Do these bands not know any other way to drum?
3. Typical Misanthropic lyrics - When you can understand them, its usually the same rant against man and religion.

I'm looking for someone to point out to me a band in this genre that thinks outside the box and delivers something I can get into. I really like discovering the innovators in any style of rock or metal. Is there anyone out there in Black Metal that is breaking new ground?

I would love to hear something none more black, please. (Praise God for Nigel Tufnel Day!)
I got Rock N Roll to save me from the cold, and if thats all there is, that aint so bad. Rock N Roll! - Lemmy
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2011 at 11:49pm
Out of curiousity, have you listened to any post-black metal?  Alcest, Fen, Agalloch, etc
genghiscon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote genghiscon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2011 at 12:06am
Yes, I just had gotten Fen's Epoch the other day on your recommendation and really liked what I heard. Haven't heard of the other two, but if they deliver the goods, I will endeavor to seek them out.
I got Rock N Roll to save me from the cold, and if thats all there is, that aint so bad. Rock N Roll! - Lemmy
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2011 at 12:18am
Alcest's Ecailles de Lune is absolutely beautiful, I highly recommend it.

I love everything Agalloch has done, and depending on who you ask you could be told that any of their albums is their best.  My personal favourite is their latest, Marrow of the Spirit which coincidentally was the top collaborator album of 2010 on this site.

Beyond those three, as I mentioned in that other thread Wolves in the Throne Room is worth checking out.  You may also like Negura Bunget, who mix elements of Romanian folk music with black metal.

OM is widely regarded as their best release.
If you like Negura, there is a band called Dordeduh which consists of ex-members that should have an album out sometime soon (hopefully).  Right now they just have an EP, which I quite like

Unfortunately my knowledge of black metal isn't the best, hopefully somebody like Wilytank can help you out more

Edited by Triceratopsoil - 12 Nov 2011 at 12:19am
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote genghiscon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2011 at 12:37am
I wholeheartedly agree...I just finished listening to the title track of Ecailles de Lune while you were making this post and I was smiling throughout the length of the song. It really seems a shame to call it post-black metal because I dont hear any black metal influences in the song at all. And the lyrics in Francaise didn't bother me at all. I thought they added more atmosphere.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2011 at 1:22am
Well you won�t escape the misantrophic lyrics, but these acts definitely think outside the box. They are not all straight black metal acts, but all of them are rooted in black metal:

Edited by UMUR - 12 Nov 2011 at 1:47am
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote genghiscon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2011 at 1:44am
WOW! Thanks for all the suggestions, UMUR.  I will take the time to watch and listen to them and let you know what I think. Thanks for taking the time to post.
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2011 at 4:53am
Glorio Belli's latest release is pretty good, I think - it's a blend of black metal and southern/sludge metal.

The House of Capricorn play a blend of doom metal, gothic metal, hard rock and black metal. I think that the core sound is more in the direction of doom/goth, but the black metal references definitely are there, and their latest album is pretty good - especially the opener , "All Hail to the Netherworld", is pretty awesome.
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2011 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Unfortunately my knowledge of black metal isn't the best, hopefully somebody like Wilytank can help you out more

Big smile

So someone needs to be hooked up with black metal that isn't sound like Darkthrone?

One of the first bands that comes to my mind is Blut Aus Nord.  Their first two albums, Ultima Thulee and Memoria Vetusta I: Fathers of the Icy Age are some epic sounding, heathen themed, keyboard laden black metal.  Vocals are mostly wailing screeches, but there are also some clean vocals in it as well.

Later on, Blut Aus Nord would develop a more nightmarish atmosphere in their sound with the dissonant chord structure and tone they started using.  I also find this very interesting.

One more recommendation from this band is their 2009 album Memoria Vetusta II: Dialogue with the Stars.  It's like a revival of the style from their first Memoria Vetusta album with the interesting tone of their dissonant sounding music.  But the atmosphere in this album is so majestic and really not dark or scary at all.

There's also some of the folkier sounding black metal.  Besides the previously mentioned Agalloch, there's also the Ukrainian based Drudkh with their Slavic themes and music style.

Another Slavic themed band from Ukraine is Nokturnal Mortum.  Their approach is more symphonic sounding.

If you don't like the rawer production in Goat Horns, their latest two are much better in that category.  It sounds more heroic like.

That's enough for now.  I may be back for more.  Enjoy. Cool
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2011 at 2:24pm
^ Drudkh is awesome
Kingcrimsonprog View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingcrimsonprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2011 at 7:08pm
You should try some Carpathian Forest... they can be ecclectic.

Edited by Kingcrimsonprog - 12 Nov 2011 at 7:09pm

My Blog: http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/
Xaxaar View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaxaar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2011 at 6:29pm
I like this one a bit:

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2011 at 6:39pm
Enslaved is cool
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote genghiscon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2011 at 11:02pm
Thanks, Xaxaar. I rather liked that Enslaved track. The clean vocals with the death vox sprinkled in was a nice balance and added to the track, I thought. No blastbeats at all...big plus. And it really had some cool atmosheric/prog aspects to it that I enjoyed.

I will have to hear more from them, now.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2011 at 11:54pm
You can get Enslaved's latest EP for free here, if you are interested
goskoski View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goskoski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2011 at 10:22pm
If you like music of Theatre of Tragedy (Beauty and the Beast Vocals), you might also like Siebenburgen:

goskoski View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goskoski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2011 at 10:36pm
There is an Icelandic band called Wormlust. They are pretty creative, but also very dark. It is good to listen to the entire songs:

However, they just have recorded Demos, yet.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic