WHITESNAKE — Whitesnake

WHITESNAKE - Whitesnake cover

Album · 1987

Filed under Hard Rock
By WHITESNAKE

European Version (under the title 1987)

1. Still Of The Night (6:38)
2. Bad Boys (4:09)
3. Give Me All Your Love (3:30)
4. Looking For Love (6:33)
5. Crying In The Rain (5:37)
6. Is This Love (4:43)
7. Straight For The Heart (3:40)
8. Don't Turn Away (5:11)
9. Children Of The Night (4:24)
10. Here I Go Again (4:33)
11. You're Gonna Break My Heart Again (4:11)

Us Version

1. Crying In The Rain (5:37)
2. Bad Boys (4:08)
3. Still Of The Night (6:41)
4. Here I Go Again (4:35)
5. Give Me All Your Love (3:30)
6. Is This Love (4:45)
7. Children Of The Night (4:24)
8. Straight For The Heart (3:40)
9. Don't Turn Away (5:12)

- David Coverdale / vocals
- Bill Cuomo / keyboards

4 April 1987
Geffen, Warner Bros, Sony, EMI

Reissued as 20th Anniversary Edition with the following tracklist:

1. Still Of The Night (6:38)
2. Give Me All Your Love (3:30)
3. Bad Boys (4:09)
4. Is This Love (4:43
5. Here I Go Again (4:33)
6. Straight For The Heart (3:40)
7. Looking For Love (6:33)
8. Children Of The Night (4:24)
9. You're Gonna Break My Heart Again (4:11)
10. Crying In The Rain (5:37)
11. Don't Turn Away (5:11)
12. Give Me All Your Love (Live: In The Shadow Of The Blues) (4:27)
13. Is This Love (Live: In The Shadow Of The Blues) (4:58)
14. Here I Go Again (Live: In The Shadow Of The Blues) (5:53)
15. Still Of The Night (Live: In The Shadow Of The Blues) (8:38)

20th Anniversary Edition also has a bonus Dvd with the following tracklist:

1. Still Of The Night (music video) (6:24)
2. Here I Go Again (music video) (4:34)
3. Is This Love (music video) (4:35)
4. Give Me All Your Love (music video) (4:00)
5. Give Me All Your Love (Live... In The Still Of The Night) (4:43)
6. Is This Love (Live... In The Still Of The Night) (4:15)
7. Here I Go Again (Live... In The Still Of The Night) (5:19)
8. Still Of The Night (Live... In The Still Of The Night) (6:44)

Thanks to NJCat_11, [email protected], negoba, Lynx33 for the updates

Buy WHITESNAKE - WHITESNAKE music

Whitesnake GoldWhitesnake Gold
Geffen 2006
Best of: WHITESNAKEBest of: WHITESNAKE
Emi Europe Generic 2003
Whitesnake (30th Anniversary Super Deluxe Edition)(4CD/1DVD)Whitesnake (30th Anniversary Super Deluxe Edition)(4CD/1DVD)
Box set · Remastered · Remixes included · Extra tracks
Rhino Records 2017
20th Century Masters: Millennium Collection - The Best of Whitesnake20th Century Masters: Millennium Collection - The Best of Whitesnake
Geffen 2000
Whitesnake's Greatest HitsWhitesnake's Greatest Hits
Geffen Records 1994
Whitesnake/Slip of the TongueWhitesnake/Slip of the Tongue
Whitesnake
Here I Go Again: The Whitesnake Collection [2 CD]Here I Go Again: The Whitesnake Collection [2 CD]
Extra tracks · Remastered
Geffen 2002
Whitesnake: Live at Donington 1990Whitesnake: Live at Donington 1990
Multiple Formats
FRONTIERS MUSIC SRL 2017
WhitesnakeWhitesnake
Geffen
Showing 9 items | Cache expiring in 49h | Keyword-based search | Best seller rank | More results on Amazon.com
Showing all 100 items | *Auction price may increase, data is cached, expiring in 2h | Keyword-based search | Ordered by ending time | See results on eBay.com

More places to buy metal & WHITESNAKE music

WHITESNAKE WHITESNAKE reviews

Negoba
The Best Power Glam Metal Ever

For a very long time, this album was my favorite CD regardless of genre. I listened to this things so many times in so many moods during early High School. For one album, the stars aligned and David Coverdale's bluesy voice matched with John Sykes' huge guitars to create a masterpiece.

The riffs of "Crying in the Rain" and "Still of the Night" are simply enormous. But the faster rockers are great as well, and the few ballads work well. Sure, the album used well-oiled songwriting formulas, but the actual sound was what made this sound great. Anyone who thinks that "Black Dog" would have done as well as "Still of the Night" if it had been released in 1987 doesn't understand how much culture had changed. The song's mainly instrumental midsection is an icon, and lends almost nothing to the might Led Zep. Instead, it was a creature of the times, when the rainy night ethos was part of metal. And as much as I love Jimmy Page, John Sykes' solo on "Crying in the Rain" is simply one of the wonders of the instrument, and beyond the shred ability of Page at his peak. (I am not claiming Whitesnake was better than Zep or Page, simply that they made a perfect album at the perfect time. Frankly, Zep made some albums that are timeless.)

Something essential on this album is the energy and production. Other versions of some of these songs exist, and both Coverdale's voice and the instrumental performances just aren't on the same level as this disk. Sykes, despite a long career, really only has one well known album to his name, but on this one album, he put himself down as a monster of his instrument.

Bottom Line: 80's MTV metal at its peak.
Stephen
Reinforced by the howlin' wolf of David Coverdale and the prowling Tygers of John Sykes, Whitesnake successfully invaded the States and racked up eight platinums with this sensational eponymous record. The victorious conquest even boosted the prior album, "Slide It In" from gold to double platinum status and most of the band's videos received a heavy rotation on MTV featuring the artist Tawny Kitaen which was married by the singer later. The musical composition is a bluesy hard rock extract that's soaked with a lavish commercial hooks and savage shreddings.

"Still of The Night", a classic Zeppelin-Snake heavy metal slap, considered their best with the distinctive Coverdale wail, but ironically is not my favorite. I still prefer "Children of The Night", this is their heaviest tune with frantic riffage and the "Are you ready to rock?" shout definitely a huge concert igniter. The gigantic single, "Here I Go Again", is better here compared to "Saints and Sinners" era, and I love how Sykes abuses his whammy bar in "Cryin' In The Rain", probably his best offering you can hear throughout the album. Almost all tracks here are enjoyable, includes the party anthem, "Bad Boys", "Straight For The Heart", and "Give Me All Your Love".

The second biggest single, "Is This Love", is no doubt the greatest ballad Coverdale-Sykes pair ever written, showcasing an outpouring-of-emotion vocal and a drowning tones, this song is the most-frequent song of Whitesnake you may encounter in your local karaoke station. While "Lookin' For Love" got a potential to be their bluesy hit, takin' off slow and easy before flying high with Sykes stunning solo, "Don't Turn Away" on the other side, is a blunt attempt and perhaps the worst one here.

This is a quintessential release of 1987 and can be a very good start if you're new to the band. Many old fans hated their significant departure from the idealistic bluesy hard rock platform, but if you're curious on how they blend the blues and the typical catchiness of late 80s glam metal, "1987" is the best option around.

No WHITESNAKE WHITESNAKE reviews posted by members yet.

• tapfret