Sons of the Pioneers
THE WORKHORSE MOVEMENT

THE WORKHORSE MOVEMENT - Sons of the Pioneers cover

Album · 2000

Filed under Alternative Metal

1. Workhorse & Intercourse (01:48)
2. Keep the Sabbath Dream Alive (04:15)
3. Livin' Evil (03:17)
4. Gimme Some Skin (02:43)
5. Zero (03:08)
6. Traffic (04:47)
7. Heavy (05:24)
8. Beotch (02:12)
9. Motown (03:09)
10. Joe Mama (03:21)
11. Charlie Don't Surf (03:55)
12. Cosmic Highway (02:42)
13. Mother Earth (03:02)
14. Feel Like Bob Marley (03:41)

- Chris “Cornbread” Sparks / vocals
- Matt Rea (aka M.C. Myron) / vocals
- Joe Makie / drums
- Jeff “Freedom” Piper / guitars
- Pete Bever / bass

Released 6th June 2000 on Roadrunner Records.

Thanks to Bosh66 for the addition

THE WORKHORSE MOVEMENT MP3, Free Download/Stream

No THE WORKHORSE MOVEMENT MP3s available for streaming.

Buy THE WORKHORSE MOVEMENT - SONS OF THE PIONEERS music

No release results found : showing artist results instead
Showing 1 items | Cache expiring in 28h | Keyword-based search | Best seller rank | More results on Amazon.com
Showing all 14 items | *Auction price may increase, data is cached, expiring in 15h | Keyword-based search | Ordered by ending time | See results on eBay.com

More places to buy metal & THE WORKHORSE MOVEMENT music

THE WORKHORSE MOVEMENT SONS OF THE PIONEERS reviews

Kingcrimsonprog
If you haven’t heard of this one I don’t blame you. The Workhorse Movement were really over in the blink of an eye in the grand scheme of things. If you’ve heard of them but haven’t heard the album, I don’t blame you. It wasn’t promoted or lauded enough as it deserved at the time and without them making any more albums there was no build up or cause for a new generation to get in to them.

If you have heard it, well then you know full well, this is one barking mad, fun and excellent album. How to even describe it? Eclectic, to say the least. It is a bizarre mixture of Clutch and Monster Magnet stoner rock with crazy lyrics, Sepultura on Roots proto-Nu Metal riffs, Faith No More variety (such as having additional brass instruments or latin music or funk or soul at different times). There’s even a sort of psychedelic space rock intro and a bit of that style in the verses of another song. There’s little bits of Rap Metal (well it was the year 2000 after all) but that’s far from the whole story. If that all sounds like a strange mix its because is, but somehow it works.

Its all topped off with a cheeky smile and a sense of humour. Lyrical topics include handshakes ‘Gimmie Some Skin,’ Detroit ‘Motown,’ Black Sabbath ‘Keep The Sabbath Dream Alive’ (“When I die there’s gonna be an electric funeraaaaal”) and all sorts of marijuana talk for better or worse. Lyrically its a bit silly but musically its dead serious (Again, not unlike Clutch or Monster Magnet). The experimentation with outside styles isn’t frivolous, its expertly done.

The important thing to remember is, this isn’t another generic forgettable release from the Nu Metal period. Its eclectic to the point of being progressive, its catchy as hell, its really fun and the songs themselves are really good. It not just wacky and novelty value only or something. These are really good songs. Some of those thick fat satisfying riffs are really enjoyable. Just listen to the appropriately titled ‘Heavy’ for the perfect example.

I’d like to point out highlights, such as ‘Charlie Don’t Surf,’ ‘Beotch’ and ‘Feel Like Bob Marley’ but to be honest no two songs on the album even sound the same. I mean, they fit together, and it flows well, but that diversity thing I mentioned? Yeah, that!

Hey I’m a Nu Metal apologist who can still happily listen to The Union Underground, but this isn’t that. This is like listening to King For A Day Fool For A Life Time at the same time as listening to Power Trip and The Elephant Riders, a collection of Pink Floyd B Sides and flicking through a dozen radio stations and catching fleeting glimpses of a range of music outside of rock, such as funk and soul. Then occasionally something not too dissimilar to the riff from ‘Roots Bloody Roots’ comes in and ties it all together.

If you want to hear something really fun and interesting you could really do a lot worse than Sons Of The Pioneers. Its a one-of-a-kind that’s for sure. As long as you aren’t terrified of everything that doesn’t sound like Burzum or indeed of everything that doesn’t sound like Manowar, I think you’ll really enjoy this underrated gem.

No THE WORKHORSE MOVEMENT SONS OF THE PIONEERS reviews posted by members yet.

No THE WORKHORSE MOVEMENT ratings only posted yet.

The Spiritualist Deathcore