SIGH — Scenes from Hell

SIGH - Scenes from Hell cover

Album · 2010

1. Prelude to the Oracle (4:10)
2. L'Art de mourir (4:55)
3. The Soul Grave (3:59)
4. The Red Funeral (6:54)
5. The Summer Funeral (7:06)
6. Musica in Tempora Belli (5:59)
7. Vanitas (6:24)
8. Scenes From Hell (3:35)

- Mirai Kawasima / vocals, orchestrations, piano
- Dr. Mikannibal / vocals, saxophone
- Satoshi Fujinami / bass
- Shinichi Ishikawa / guitar
- Junichi Harashima / drums

Released by The End Records.

Thanks to Prog Geo, adg211288, Unitron for the updates

Buy SIGH - SCENES FROM HELL music

Scenes From HellScenes From Hell
BMG/The End Records 2010
Scenes from Hell by Sigh (2010-01-19)Scenes from Hell by Sigh (2010-01-19)
The End Records
Showing 2 items | Cache expiring in 8h | Keyword-based search | Best seller rank | More results on Amazon.com
0 results found for "sigh" scenes from hell
Retry your search with "sigh" on eBay.com website

More places to buy metal & SIGH music

SIGH SCENES FROM HELL reviews

The first Sigh album to include the scintillating contributions of Dr. Mikannibal on saxophone and vocals, Scenes From Hell continues the band's explorations of symphonic avant-black metal frenzy. David Tibet of Current 93 is an unexpected but welcome guest this time around, offering spoken word recitations on The Red Funeral and Musica In Tempora Belli (roughly translating to "Music In Times of War"). It's all gruesome, rough fun, though I do wonder whether a more lively production job wouldn't have teased out all the ingredients of Sigh's bizarre stew a bit more evenly. That said, the air of murkiness does harken back to Sigh's earliest releases, setting this in a continuity of musical development that began in the second wave of black metal and has fruited in this bizarre hybrid.
Unitron
"Fire is so cold though my blood is boiling in my veins. Vice on virtue, victory on vanity. Answer me now, I will laugh in pain."

Few bands can claim to be as eclectic as the Japanese extreme metal band Sigh. While the band's main sound is based in black metal, the band has made use of a wide variety of influences which includes but is not limited to: classical music, thrash metal, power metal, jazz, and doom metal.

Sigh may be presenting Scenes From Hell, but who knew hell would be an orchestral assault of thrashing black metal riffing. No other song on the album beats the rampage of the opening "Prelude to the Oracle", which never lets up with its rapid thrashing and chaotic orchestrations. After opening with spoken word, "The Red Funeral" blends brooding doom metal and melodic black metal with more strings and orchestra. The latter is pretty much prevalent in the whole album, making the album play out like some sort of demented symphony or movie score, ending with the raging title track as a grand finale.

The production couldn't be any more perfect for the sound of this album, as it has a real dirty and filthy sound that gives a nice contrast between the grimy riffing and also prevalent melody throughout the album. "Prelude to the Oracle" and the title track in particular show this contrast quite well. The murky basslines and stabbing thrashing in the latter are particular great.

If you're looking for some eclectic black metal that lies on the more melodic and thrashing side of the spectrum, you can't do much better than Sigh. The band has many great albums, but to me Scenes From Hell is one of their finest records and most focused. Hope you found this review helpful, feel free to comment!

No SIGH SCENES FROM HELL reviews posted by members yet.

• MorniumGoatahl