SAXON — Denim and Leather

SAXON - Denim and Leather cover

Album · 1981

Filed under NWoBHM
By SAXON

1. Princess of the Night (3:53)
2. Never Surrender (3:08)
3. Out of Control (4:00)
4. Rough and Ready (4:39)
5. Play It Loud (4:02)
6. And the Bands Played On (2:41)
7. Midnight Rider (5:33)
8. Fire in the Sky (3:28)
9. Denim and Leather (5:11)

- Biff Byford / vocals
- Graham Oliver / guitar
- Paul Quinn / guitar
- Steve Dawson / bass
- Pete Gill / drums

Full length, Capitol Records, 1981.

Thanks to Pekka, adg211288 for the updates

Buy SAXON - DENIM AND LEATHER music

Denim And LeatherDenim And Leather
Union Square 2018
Saxon: 10 Years Of Denim & Leather - Live At Nottingham Rock City 1989Saxon: 10 Years Of Denim & Leather - Live At Nottingham Rock City 1989
Edsel 2017
10 Years Of Denim & Leather: Live At Nottingham Rock City 198910 Years Of Denim & Leather: Live At Nottingham Rock City 1989
IMPORTS 2017
Denim And Leather - Saxon LPDenim And Leather - Saxon LP
Carrere
Denim & LeatherDenim & Leather
Remastered
Toshiba EMI Japan 2006
Strong Arm of the Law / Denim & LeatherStrong Arm of the Law / Denim & Leather
Axe Killer 2004
Showing 6 items | Cache expiring in 26h | Keyword-based search | Best seller rank | More results on Amazon.com

More places to buy metal & SAXON music

SAXON DENIM AND LEATHER reviews

Denim and Leather finds the creative well that yielded Wheels of Steel and Strong Arm of the Law beginning to run dry. Whilst it's still an entertaining enough NWOBHM exercise, it feels like something's missing this time around; the band seem to lack a certain punch and aggression, and without that these NWOBHM-by-numbers pieces can tend to feel a bit generic. There's a few too many moments where the band clearly expect us to start chanting along with our lighters in the air but the watered-down sound makes me feel more like at best nodding along or clapping politely. It's OK, but they'd done better.

RuneWalsh2112
It was quite a surprise for me to realize that I actually don't like this album as much as it's two predecessors. This is especially surprising considering that "Princess Of The Night" and "Denim And Leather" are two of my top 3 Saxon compositions. So how can this be?

First thing is first, the album couldn't have chosen a better album opener with "Princess Of The Night" being not only an amazing live track but a studio one as well! "Never Surrender" and "Out Of Control" are fun but ultimately pretty harmless tracks that have just enough staying power to hold their own ground. The first noticeable problem comes with the first tones of "Rough And Ready" and especially "Play It Loud". These tracks are just not metal enough for my taste and sound more like over-amplified hard rock tunes. Fortunately the gorgeous intro of "And The Bands Played On" kicks in just in time to keep this album afloat for a little while longer. Easily one of the best Saxon tracks that I wouldn't mind being expanded by 1-2 more minutes!

"Midnight Rider" and "Fire In The Sky" are pretty solid tracks which unfortunately get buried within this albums wide variety of compositions. Both tracks come close to recreating the magic of the two previous releases but somehow feel a bit dated (...or more like "been there, done that") by this point in time.

Since there is no real point for me to introduce this album's wonderful title track, so let me end this review by stating that "Denim And Leather" is another great Saxon classic. The album might not be as strong as its two predecessors but there is enough staying power in these compositions, especially once we start comparing them to the band's later releases. Definitely give it a go once you've experienced "Wheels Of Steel" and "Strong Arm Of The Law"!

***** star songs: Princess Of The Night (4:02) And The Bands Played On (2:48) Denim And Leather (5:27)

**** star songs: Never Surrender (3:13) Out Of Control (4:08) Midnight Rider (5:45) Fire In The Sky (3:37)

*** star songs: Rough And Ready (4:51) Play It Loud (4:11)

• ian